Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-06-19, 02:15 PM
Regular User

When u look at the brochure that comes with the tankless heater it gives you an example of the energy$$$ you can save over a standard tank. However when you take into consideration the extra cost in rental fees its not worth the money it actually costs more.

Also when you take into consideration the rise in the price of utilites from when the brochures example was given,, its even more expensive plus the price of the upgrade at 700$ and then having to frame and build a room around it so its not seen yet accessable in case of repair I said forget it.

Last edited by SuperSaiks; 2009-06-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2009-06-19, 02:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiks View Post
Also when you take into consideration the rise in the price of utilites from when the brochures example was given,, its even more expensive plus the price of the upgrade at 700$ and then having to frame and build a room around it so its not seen yet accessable in case of repair I said forget it.
I am confused by your comment, how does it cost more to run a thankless unit when utilities costs go higher? If they go lower I can see that but thankless cost less in utilities than HWT.

Also how is building a room for the tankless unit different than a regular HWT? Just wondering, I had to build a room around my HWT in my old house so I was wondering how you got around not building one for the HWT.

Mike
Old 2009-06-19, 02:52 PM
Regular User

That arguement does not hold water. That would suggest that we should not run a high eff furnace over a mid or low eff because utilities might go up??

The savings are there no matter what the cost of fuel. Standard tanks run about 60% a tankless runs around 80% so it costs 20% less to heat water... ALL the time no matter how much gas costs.... Now the arguement that rental costs eat the savings i am behind 100%

Rental powervented tank is in the 20-22$ a month range, a tankless in the 35$ range. Thats 180$ extra a year in rental rates. The question is how much does the hot water cost in gas for both? And is it greater then 200$ to make renting a tankless worth while.. If your in an older home you may have a 12$ a month rental..... So make that 276$ extra to go from a std to tankless
Old 2009-06-19, 10:39 PM
Regular User

Klimrobson

the tankless unit has to be installed along an exterior wall in the basement, the water tank can be placed in the mechanical room along with the furnance,hrv,etc.

had the tankless unit been free and cost the same per month to rent and have the ability to be installed in the mechanical room it would be different. but in terms of savings $$$ it doesn't add up.
Old 2009-06-20, 12:21 AM
Regular User

Does your furnace room not have an exterior wall?

My hw tank is. 65 gal high-recovery tank, and even with the wife filling the soaker tub I use less than 2 m3/day of natural gas. The most a tankless would save me is 1m3/day, or about 18 cents/day at current prices. However, I would certainly consider a tankless hw heater to supplement a solar water heater. One nice benefit not mentioned so far - the tankless units don't use room air for combustion - helps save on heating costs.
Old 2009-06-20, 09:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiks View Post
Klimrobson

the tankless unit has to be installed along an exterior wall in the basement, the water tank can be placed in the mechanical room along with the furnance,hrv,etc.

had the tankless unit been free and cost the same per month to rent and have the ability to be installed in the mechanical room it would be different. but in terms of savings $$$ it doesn't add up.
I see, you are talking about your case in particular, not thankless units in general. Sorry for my confusion, both my houses had the furnace on an outside wall as others have also noted. So in our case there is no additional expense for framing them in. But if your HWT is not on the outside wall I see how that would be a pain. My electrical panel is not close to my furnace so I need to build a special access panel for it when I finish the basement, itís a pain as well.

Iíve also seen thankless units installed on interior walls so the unit you were quoted must have been different than those if it required to be installed on an exterior wall. The ones I saw needed a special vent, similar to a gas fireplace vent, and like a fireplace the actual fireplace does not need to be installed on an exterior wall, just close to it, ie. two sided fireplaces, etc. I donít know enough about all the different units to comment on the differences between them though, I am sure they all have different requirements similar to furnaces.

Mike