Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-09-30, 12:27 PM
Regular User

Single Family:
Newhaven
Essex
Bradbury

Two Story Semi Detached:
Newmarket
Middlebury

I thought the Newhaven was the nicest.. but it also has a few of the same choices we made in our home so I'm biased. I was confused about the hardwood in the Newhaven though, it's not Mirage and I thought I was told in the design center that Mirage was our only choice.
Old 2009-10-03, 06:58 PM
Regular User

I too like the Newhaven, especially the kitchen.

The Bradbury is insane with a full sized fridge in the pantry and the laundry room the same size as the bedrooms!

There are seems to be a newer type of melamine shelves in the closets. Anyone know if this is for all of Tamarack? I asked the sales rep but she didn't know.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-10-12, 12:05 PM
Regular User

Hello, a family acquaintance is looking to relocate to Ottawa and we saw the Tamarack model homes this past weekend. She's interested in the Newhaven model and I am just wondering if any of you folks has purchased said model and if you could give us some feedback regarding upgrades and layout.

She's interested in moving the powder room to the other side, besides the mud room. I asked the sales rep and he told me it's doable but he doesn't know the cost.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by north59 View Post
We went with the upgraded berber, if you have kids or are planning on it I'd recommend it.
My (future) inlaws got berber with their Tamarack home, and they did a piss poor job of installing it. There are 'ripples' in the 2nd floor hallway and in the master bedroom because they didn't install the berber tightly or flat. Tamarack came back to try and fix it, but from the amount of rippling there is, they would have to pull the berber out and reinstall it (which they don't want to do). All they did was try and push the ripples all to one wall, then retuck the excess carpet under the wall. This didn't do anything.
Old 2009-11-16, 06:21 PM
Regular User

Hi all, I am just wondering if for flooring we have to go with the Mirage samples at the design center from Barwood. I would love to get the Lauzon floors that are in the Huntington model at Chaperal.
Old 2009-11-17, 09:04 AM
Regular User

We where told that Mirage was the only choice. But, there is something other than Mirage in one of their HMB models if I'm not mistaken, so you can try to talk them into Lauzon...

Also, the high gloss Mirage finish is normal, but Mirage also offers a low gloss "Cashmere" finish that is more pet and kid friendly, and I prefer that look which is much different to the gloss. We got the cashmere, free "upgrade", but you have to specifically ask for it.

Point being, if you don't ask you won't get.
Old 2009-11-17, 10:26 AM
Regular User

That's my thinking exactly. I'm also thinking that because Tamarack does use Lauzon in other developments it shouldn't be a problem, at least I hope it isn't anyway, I guess I'll see at our design appointment in February (which seems really far away right now )
Old 2009-11-17, 11:15 AM
Regular User

Well, they have different installation companies doing different communities. That's why HMB is different. But, I'd still ask. Also, you're a long way out from your choices, things can change over the next few months.

In the end if you really want a floor that they refuse to do you could get standard floor finishes and replace them afterword.
Old 2009-12-07, 07:44 PM

Default Anyone @ phase II of HMB?

Wonder if this thread is still alive. Anyone has bought new lots at phase II? Does anyone know how much it costs to move a wall? I feel that the dining room in the Oxford model is a little small. If the wall in between the dining and the kitchen can be moved, I'd give up a few feet of the kitchen to have a bigger dining room.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, has anyone been successful negotiating a lower price or more free upgrades?

Thanks
Old 2009-12-08, 10:18 AM
Regular User

You'll have to talk to the sale rep, especially for the price, but I believe it's something they will try to do for you if it is structurally possible.

As for negotiating, I haven't heard of anyone being successful, I didn't even bother trying...

Last edited by Enarra; 2009-12-14 at 07:42 AM.