Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-21, 11:47 PM
Regular User

Default Opinions on Kitchen Layout

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some opinions, suggestions on my kitchen layout. The side that shows 7' is a peninsula/breakfast bar and is open into the dining room. Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Birds Eye.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	4471  

Last edited by igor0190; 2009-07-22 at 12:11 AM.
Old 2009-07-22, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wanted some opinions, suggestions on my kitchen layout. The side that shows 7' is a peninsula/breakfast bar and is open into the dining room. Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Not sure how large your kitchen is but is there a chance that you can extend that peninsula? Or better yet, why not change it around & make a large island instead going lenghthwise? And I would move that fridge to the end of the wall (I find it too close to the stove) You will get more seating, more storage in base cabinets & of course more counter space. Plus it will look better too with a large island

Post your floor plan of the main floor.

Island similar to this (but with no sink in it)

Last edited by patrob; 2009-07-22 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2009-07-22, 12:08 PM
Regular User

what is on the side opposite the fridge? is it a wall? or open to another room?
Old 2009-07-22, 12:15 PM
Regular User

tough space. definitely get a small built-in fridge (ideally side by side so the doors don't stick out too far), or at least a counter depth. the otr mwave is a good idea.
Old 2009-07-22, 12:44 PM
Regular User

The kitchen is approximately 15' x 11'. The upper cabinets at the end of the peninsula extend exactly 15'-1/4". The overhang on the breakfast bar/peninsula is 15'-5". There is a window in the dining room at 16'-3" so there is not much room to extend the peninsula into the dining room.

I would like some seperation between the Dining Room and the Kitchen, so I wouldn't want to put the island lengthwise necessarily. I have about 12' wide to work with at the end of the kitchen. Maybe I could leave a pantry on the left side of the fridge and then put a island instead of peninsula???

Now with 12' width and the island... You would need enough space to comfortably walk on both sides of the island. The pantry would stick out approx 30", leaving 9'-6". If I left a 2' space on the pantry side and 3'-6" space on the other, my island would be 4' long. Wouldn't that be pretty tight?

I like the idea, just not sure if it would work with the 12 feet unless I have only a small island. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blackstone Lighting - 1 Sink - Peninsula - 2 Closets.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	4472  

Last edited by igor0190; 2009-07-22 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2009-07-22, 01:41 PM
Regular User

pantry sounds good, but why would it stick out more than the base cabinets? 24" should do it. you're going to need more than 2' walkway for it to feel comfortable. an island about 30" deep by 48" wide will be plenty big for you. just make sure that you put full depth drawers on the working side and the short drawers on the hallway side.
Old 2009-07-22, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
The kitchen is approximately 15' x 11'. The upper cabinets at the end of the peninsula extend exactly 15'-1/4". The overhang on the breakfast bar/peninsula is 15'-5". There is a window in the dining room at 16'-3" so there is not much room to extend the peninsula into the dining room.

I would like some seperation between the Dining Room and the Kitchen, so I wouldn't want to put the island lengthwise necessarily. I have about 12' wide to work with at the end of the kitchen. Maybe I could leave a pantry on the left side of the fridge and then put a island instead of peninsula???

Now with 12' width and the island... You would need enough space to comfortably walk on both sides of the island. The pantry would stick out approx 30", leaving 9'-6". If I left a 2' space on the pantry side and 3'-6" space on the other, my island would be 4' long. Wouldn't that be pretty tight?

I like the idea, just not sure if it would work with the 12 feet unless I have only a small island. What do you think?
You have plenty of space to do the island. And yes, I would put a pantry just beside the fridge & make sure you get counter depth fridge so it does not stick out.

Your base cabinets are 2 ft. deep, 3 ft. of space, island 2 ft. deep plus small overhang for bar stools & you still have approx. 4 ft. left to comfortably walk to the door. Plus you will utilize your kitchen space much better than what the builder did.
Plus you can make your island quite long. If the kitchen is 15 ft. long, your island cam be at least 7- 8 ft. long easily with 3 pendants above it
I agree about the drawers (pots & pans), get lots in the island. Plus the pantry will only stick out 24" not 30".

Here is your new kitchen layout
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1KitchenLayout.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	4473  

Last edited by patrob; 2009-07-22 at 02:44 PM.
Old 2009-07-22, 04:59 PM
Regular User

If I put island lengthwise, I have 10'-9" width from wall to wall. 2' for base cabinets, 3' space for working in, 2'-6" for island cabinets and counter overhang. Leaves me with 3'-3" to walk to the back door.

Is 3' ideal to work in between your island and stove/sink/dishwasher/fridge?
Old 2009-07-22, 05:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
If I put island lengthwise, I have 10'-9" width from wall to wall. 2' for base cabinets, 3' space for working in, 2'-6" for island cabinets and counter overhang. Leaves me with 3'-3" to walk to the back door.

Is 3' ideal to work in between your island and stove/sink/dishwasher/fridge?
3' is more than enough. it'll let you work at the island, turn and access the fridge without walking, and return to the island. just watch your fridge - it'll have to be true counter depth. built-in would be ideal, but that's a lot more $. i still think you're better off with a side-by-side, as the doors are smaller and it will make the space between the fridge/island look bigger.

on your pantry, consider a corner style one. if it's gonna be 2' deep, you'll have a hard time reaching the back. i've seen a few where they cut the corner off and use an articulated door - it really lets you access the back of the shelves much easier. not sure how much more $ it is, but it's quite functional and it looks sharp.

base cabinets are 24" deep standard. if you want your island deeper than that, consider just getting a 30" top with a 24" deep base cabinet. if you do decide on a 30" deep island cabinet (which is what i have, however with no overhang) but with an additional 6" overhang, ask if they'll put dummy drawer fronts on for you and that way you can put taller stuff in the cabinets below. i've seen people who can pull their top drawers out 6" but can't get in them because it's below the overhang. you can't remove the drawers either - it's infuriating.
Old 2009-07-22, 05:40 PM
Regular User

Hi. I'm no expert, but I will say that all I have read on kitchen design (which I admit, isn't a whole lot, but still enough) is that you should have 42" between island/counters. I know other people feel 36" is enough, so who am I to say? I'm just sharing what I have read. The others have shared excellent ideas. Good luck with what you decide.