Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-25, 03:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
Yeah, after a couple days I realized only 2 would work. 60" island. 2 Pendants 30" apart with 15" on each end. So the light should hit the surface evenly for the whole surface.

It will be hardwoods in the kitchen.

I think you're probably right about 6' being ok. But I did a mock up and it just seemed like 5' was plenty as well. Still not 100% either way.
If it will be hardwood throughout, then I would def. do 6 ft. island (personally I would make it even longer ) There will be no transition from tile to hardwood, so even if you walk around the island & step into the "dining room" beside, no big deal. You can never have too much counter space or storage. It will look fine with 6 ft. island, trust me
Old 2009-07-27, 08:56 AM
Regular User

I'm kind of worried about the spacing of the pot lights in the kitchen if the island is 6 feet. The kitchen is 15' x 11'. Do you think 4 potlights is enough? There will also be pendants over the island.

If I do 6', I would still want it centered in the kitchen area? Or should I add the extra foot to stick out towards the Dining Room?
Old 2009-07-27, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Here is a new drawing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 27 Island Drawing.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	4491  
Old 2009-07-28, 12:45 AM
Regular User

can you get a real pantry cabinet instead of the 2x4 and drywall version? i know it saves the builder some money, but the cabinet one will look much better and will open the room up as well.
Old 2009-07-28, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
can you get a real pantry cabinet instead of the 2x4 and drywall version? i know it saves the builder some money, but the cabinet one will look much better and will open the room up as well.

I could get a real pantry cabinet but it would be an expensive upgrade and I want to dough out the money for that. Another thing is our fridge will not be counter depth so I was thinking that pantry may cover up the side of the fridge nicely.

Last edited by igor0190; 2009-07-28 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2009-07-28, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
I could get a real pantry cabinet but it would be an expensive upgrade and I want to dough out the money for that. Another thing is our fridge will not be counter depth so I was thinking that pantry may cover up the side of the fridge nicely.
I agree about the real pantry cabinets, not a "closet" with doors.

Don't forget that you only have 3 ft. from the counter to the island, so if you are not getting a counter depth fridge now, you are losing additional 6-8" easily. I would def. reconsider the counter depth fridge or you will lose valuable space & the kitchen IMO will lose that "look" if the fridge sticks out (been there, done that ) If you are planning to stay in your house for longer, I highly recommend spending the extra money now because it will make a huge difference & you will appreciate it later on.
Old 2009-07-29, 11:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I agree about the real pantry cabinets, not a "closet" with doors.

Don't forget that you only have 3 ft. from the counter to the island, so if you are not getting a counter depth fridge now, you are losing additional 6-8" easily. I would def. reconsider the counter depth fridge or you will lose valuable space & the kitchen IMO will lose that "look" if the fridge sticks out (been there, done that ) If you are planning to stay in your house for longer, I highly recommend spending the extra money now because it will make a huge difference & you will appreciate it later on.
You may be a ble to get a counter depth fridge at a good price. We bought a floor display model for $1800, it has all the waranty and stuff. If it was not a floor model, we would have paid 3500 and it was GE.
Old 2009-07-29, 05:16 PM
Regular User

keep in mind you should be getting about 25% off the regular price of your appliances if you're buying them all at once. get sears to "price match" and then use your sears card to take 2 years to pay with no interest. that might help pay for the pantry cabinet.