Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-07-23, 03:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
The car should be furthest down your list...

See Item #10 of this list http://www.greenexpander.com/2008/12...-never-expect/.

So although you personally have reduced your daily carbon footprint, the overall manufacturing process of the beloved Hybrid vehicle is more damaging to the environment overall.

When are they going to get the Hybrid vehicle right? Why aren't diesel electric engines more prominent which can run off bio fuels?

CB
I couldn't agree more...for now. Hybrid technology hasn't fully matured yet so that's why there's such a large carbon footprint. Really, fuel consumption is a small component of the total carbon impact. If we base our choice on the big picture, we'd all be driving Ford F150s. The raw materials are mined here in North America, they are manufacturered here, sold here and then recycled here. Very little transportation required from raw material to finished product to disposal so voila...less carbon footprint. That said, as the demand for hybrids rise, more plants will make them, recylcling/disposal technologies will catch up etc. It's just a matter of time.
Old 2009-07-23, 03:12 PM
Regular User

I have never owned a lawn mower and thought that Electric would be the best because I would not have to be bothered and go and get gas. I thought that would be a hassle. Are electrics really not that good? I guess I should re-think my purchase.
Old 2009-07-25, 02:04 AM
Regular User

I love my Brill. http://www.reelmowerscanada.com/brillrazor38.html

It's not supposed to need sharpening for 10 years... we'll see how that works out. But so far it's amazing. Easier to push than a gas mower... yes, easier. I can push it with one finger. The first cut was a bit difficult when my lawn was too long, but going over it 3 times did the trick. Now I can do it once a week in about 20 min. My lot is 105x50. Admittedly I don't have any trees or bushes to cause problems with twigs, but I really do love it and the grass looks amazing. I don't use the catcher.
Old 2009-07-25, 11:28 AM
Regular User

Really like the look and fact that your link to the lawn mower allows for it to be small and take up less space when folded up. I have a Sears Lawnmower that mulches and so far it works great. Did have an issue when I moved to a home with no shed, and had kept it under the deck all winter. Live and Learn. Got it tuned and maintenanced and been fine for years now.

I've seen the newer push manual lawnmowers my neighbors used, it seemed to do a good job, took only a little bit longer to cut the grass. For me time isn't to much of an issue though, so the extra time didn't matter alot.

Something else to consider is size of lot, most lots now don't have a huge amount of backyard space so I think my next mower will be manual as well.
Old 2009-08-04, 05:14 PM
Regular User

One night you might drive past my street sometime between 11pm and 1am, and you will see me out on the lawn, mowing my grass with my manual push mower. I love that my mower is quiet enough that I can mow the lawn any time I want (or, more precisely, that when I find a few free minutes late at night, I can go ahead and mow the lawn without worrying about the noise).

My mower is from Lee Valley. It cost almost as much as a gas mower but it has been great. No jams, no need to do maintenance yet after two summers.