Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2009-07-27, 10:16 AM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 1,999
Default locking the doors

Hi all, the other day we attempted to go inside another house to peek that was not finished. We couldn't go in cause the doors were locked. At what point do they lock the doors usually?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2009-07-27, 10:30 AM
Shan1214 Shan1214 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posts: 405
Default

I'm not sure why you were trying to go into a house that wasn't yours. Likely it's locked to keep unauthorized people out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2009-07-27, 10:50 AM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 1,999
Default

i just like to gointo a house that's closer to being finished than mine so I see what they do and get a sense of what step is next in my house. for the first long while, the house has no doors at all and you can just walk in.
then they put in doors but no door knobs. then they put in door knobs and I guess they lock it then. there, i answered my own question. they probably lock it when they get the door knobs. make sense. my worry is that I want to go in and screw in the subfloor before they lock my doors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1214 View Post
I'm not sure why you were trying to go into a house that wasn't yours. Likely it's locked to keep unauthorized people out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2009-07-27, 01:04 PM
Trepex Trepex is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chaperal, Orléans
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
i just like to gointo a house that's closer to being finished than mine so I see what they do and get a sense of what step is next in my house. for the first long while, the house has no doors at all and you can just walk in.
then they put in doors but no door knobs. then they put in door knobs and I guess they lock it then. there, i answered my own question. they probably lock it when they get the door knobs. make sense. my worry is that I want to go in and screw in the subfloor before they lock my doors.
Man, we're back to this same kind of thing as when you wanted to sneak in and have an electrician do unauthorized electrical work. I think you're going to find that most everyone here will discourage you from doing any unauthorized work on the house.

If you're just sneaking-in to look at your own house and you're not touching anything, the worst you'd likely get is a slap on the wrist. If you start sneaking into other people's houses or doing things like screwing down floors or running electrical in your own, you could find yourself in a heap of crap. Is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2009-07-27, 01:38 PM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 1,999
Default

i'm not doing the electrical stuff anymore. i see what you're saying, but would you want to spend half a million on your new house and have to deal with squeeky/crackly floors for the next 30 years? if you knew that this would happen and the only way around it is if you screw in the subfloors yourself, would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Man, we're back to this same kind of thing as when you wanted to sneak in and have an electrician do unauthorized electrical work. I think you're going to find that most everyone here will discourage you from doing any unauthorized work on the house.

If you're just sneaking-in to look at your own house and you're not touching anything, the worst you'd likely get is a slap on the wrist. If you start sneaking into other people's houses or doing things like screwing down floors or running electrical in your own, you could find yourself in a heap of crap. Is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2009-07-27, 02:04 PM
Shan1214 Shan1214 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
i'm not doing the electrical stuff anymore. i see what you're saying, but would you want to spend half a million on your new house and have to deal with squeeky/crackly floors for the next 30 years? if you knew that this would happen and the only way around it is if you screw in the subfloors yourself, would you do it?

You should make note of any squeaky / crackly floors on your PDI and on your 30 day list if need be. There are avenues that you can take that don't involve B&E. Wow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2009-07-27, 02:11 PM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 1,999
Default

but there will be many places with squeeks, including where there are tiles. i don't want them to break tiles and take out parque or hardwood floor to address them. they should be addressed before all the finishes go on. my current house is full of squeeks and I can't stand it and its not acceptable for any price home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1214 View Post
You should make note of any squeaky / crackly floors on your PDI and on your 30 day list if need be. There are avenues that you can take that don't involve B&E. Wow.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2009-07-27, 02:13 PM
AnxiouslyWaiting AnxiouslyWaiting is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON/Kanata
Posts: 144
Default

Homie, I'd have to say that although most of us realize there could be issue's later on with sweeky floors, you need to know that there is at least with our contract we signed a fine of 1500.00 for entry to our home, when it hasn't been authorized in advance. At least it is with the Builder we chose.

Now I don't know to what extent they go to enforce it but you might want to be sure you don't incur cost to yourself if that happens to be on something you signed as well.

As for entering someone else's property to see what is being done, you could easily ask that of the salesperson, who could get it from the site foreman I'd think. They you'd know what steps take place and when, perhaps you could negotiate doing things in your home with the site foreman and then all is above board and you'd have no worries.

I do however doubt they would allow you to do things to your home without this authorization. I'd think there would be liability issue's should you get hurt in the process. Just my two cents. Take it for what you want. Good Luck...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2009-07-27, 02:17 PM
Shan1214 Shan1214 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
but there will be many places with squeeks, including where there are tiles. i don't want them to break tiles and take out parque or hardwood floor to address them. they should be addressed before all the finishes go on. my current house is full of squeeks and I can't stand it and its not acceptable for any price home.

OK - how about when you do your framewalk, make a note to the builder and inquire if there's something they can do.

Are you expecting a zero gravity type of walking experience? I don't mean to be curt but c'mon.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2009-07-27, 02:27 PM
homie27 homie27 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC/Vancouver
Posts: 1,999
Default

well that's another thing that pisses me off. they already started putting up drywall. so it sounds to me like they aren't planning on doing the frame walk. the sales person doesn't know when they do the frame, he only told me that someone will call me. the decor center doesn't know either. i can't keep going to the site supervisor everyday cause i have a job. so what do i do? how would you feel if you move into your new half million home with tiles and hardwood all over and there are alot of areas that squeek?

i'm not expecting zero gravity. if there are one or two spots that make a noise, that's fine. but that's about it. my my current neighbore went into his house while it was being built and put screws and if you walk on his floor (either tiled or parque areas), you don't hear anything and it feels like you're walking on concrete. there is a cheep way to do things and a right way. they shoujld do it the right way. it only takes a couple more hours to screw in the floor and you're left with a much better product. it should be code. they may end up screwing in the floors, who knows. but i can't take the chance that they don't. i'll have to go see the site super again this week and talk to him and see what he says. but they are all full of you-know-what.

there are tons of people that go into their house will its being built and put in screws into their subfloor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1214 View Post
OK - how about when you do your framewalk, make a note to the builder and inquire if there's something they can do.

Are you expecting a zero gravity type of walking experience? I don't mean to be curt but c'mon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shower Doors fourtrack78 Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 0 2009-06-08 11:09 AM
Steel Doors Vs Fiberglass Insulated Doors TMA28 Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 0 2009-04-26 06:09 PM
Minto in Avalon (Garage doors/French patio doors) Ms Minto Ottawa 6 2008-09-01 09:34 AM
Mattamy Doors Rosehill Ave! Ottawa 3 2007-11-08 10:56 PM
French Doors Krista Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 1 2006-09-19 02:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.