Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-12-04, 05:52 AM
Regular User

given your situation, I think I would move the washer as far to the left as the wall allows, move the sink to the middle, and dryer on the right

that might solve the hrv problem ?
Old 2010-12-04, 04:53 PM
Regular User

I would understand your dryer needing to be on the left side if the dryer vent was on the left and going out the wall but from the looks of your picture it's not. I would flip them as others have suggested.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-12-04, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwood2010 View Post
I just added a picture! Isn't this strange? Where is your drain?
Just had a thought: If your dellwood is reversed from mine, then that might explain why my washer/dryer are placed in a reverse order from yours. My furnace/sink/washer/dryer are located at the back right side of my basement, with the drain in front of the sink.
Old 2010-12-04, 11:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter Mama View Post
Just had a thought: If your dellwood is reversed from mine, then that might explain why my washer/dryer are placed in a reverse order from yours. My furnace/sink/washer/dryer are located at the back right side of my basement, with the drain in front of the sink.
Ours are on the back left side of our basement with the drain between the washer and the sink.
Old 2010-12-05, 12:17 PM
Regular User

It is a very good thing to read this Forum. I just realized that our house will be built in reverse. I e-mailed our DO five minutes ago to make sure they would position our washer on a left and our dryer on a right side. Otherwise I would be very surprised as well...

Last edited by Natasha; 2010-12-05 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2010-12-05, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwood2010 View Post
My washer and dryer are side by side but my dryer needs to be on the left of the washer (according to the house plan) ... this doesn't work well with the doors of my washer dryer since I cannot easily transfer items from the washer to the dryer without banging into the doors. Does anyone else have this problem?
My sister has the same problem. It is extremely annoying. The venting is on the left side, and plumbing on the right. Both doors open and hit each other. The dryer door is movable, but not the washer, which is the real problem.
Old 2010-12-05, 06:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I would understand your dryer needing to be on the left side if the dryer vent was on the left and going out the wall but from the looks of your picture it's not. I would flip them as others have suggested.
The dryer vent is on the left. My drain is on the right.
Old 2010-12-05, 11:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
My sister has the same problem. It is extremely annoying. The venting is on the left side, and plumbing on the right. Both doors open and hit each other. The dryer door is movable, but not the washer, which is the real problem.
Same!

I just double checked and I can reverse the dryer door but not the washer. I guess it's no biggie though since my GF said she doesn't mind, and that would bother her more than it would me (assuming we do the laundy equally...haha) so unless it bugs her more down the road over time, we'll leave it as is and I'll either reverse the dryer door later on or get longer hoses/dryer vent and swap locations. Oh, and we have a tub in between our appliances so they don't exactly hit each other, they just open toward one another.

Again, good observation...but I don't think it'll bug us that much.
Old 2010-12-06, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
That's what we found, and it's very annoying , interrupts the flow of moving laundry from washer to dryer. Now it's one continuous motion, cost was about $15 iirc for the hoses, well worth it.

Old 2010-12-06, 07:01 PM
Regular User

I'm definitely going to need to get longer hoses. You don't realize how annoying it is until you bruise yourself from trying to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer! Also I end up dropping some clothes on the floor and then I have to wash them again! (mostly concerned with baby mittens).