Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2011-07-21, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Default Neighbour won't pay for fence

We had the back fence put up in August and since then, I've been trying to get my neighbour to split the cost with me (he apparently paid the other sides - they're friends - without hassle but won't pay me)

He says that he's afraid that it's not a good fence, and that it might get damaged later, and won't pay for it. I've been trying to be understanding, so I've had 3 other fence companies come back (not the original one who put up the fence because I didn't want him to think it was a biased opinion) and they have all said - in writing - that there is nothing wrong with it, and it's a good fence that doesn't need any work.

Any advice on how I can get him to pay for it without coming off as a complete witch? With saving up for a wedding, the money would be helpful - plus now it's a matter of principle!
Old 2011-07-21, 10:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetone View Post
We had the back fence put up in August and since then, I've been trying to get my neighbour to split the cost with me (he apparently paid the other sides - they're friends - without hassle but won't pay me)

He says that he's afraid that it's not a good fence, and that it might get damaged later, and won't pay for it. I've been trying to be understanding, so I've had 3 other fence companies come back (not the original one who put up the fence because I didn't want him to think it was a biased opinion) and they have all said - in writing - that there is nothing wrong with it, and it's a good fence that doesn't need any work.

Any advice on how I can get him to pay for it without coming off as a complete witch? With saving up for a wedding, the money would be helpful - plus now it's a matter of principle!
Go to the city web site, there you will find instructions. It usually starts with a registered letter to the neighbor. If they disregard that you would have to take them to small claims court.

I'm still owed $250 from a neighbor going back to 2008, I have pretty much written it off.

Good luck
Old 2011-07-21, 11:05 AM
Regular User

and I think in the end you can only get reimbursed for the cost of a chain link fence...but oh well, stick it to em.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Is a chain link fence cheap-cheap? If I'm only getting like, $50 I don't want to come across as the "horrible" neighbour for such a small amount...

Argh. I thought politics were only at work.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:08 AM
Regular User

I think the horrible neighbour title has already been given out to the guy who owes you for the fence.

I figure you pay your taxes for a reason - might as well get something back.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:18 AM
Regular User

agreed. Why is it when we ask for people to respect agreements about fencing costs and properlty lines(see a/c location thread) That the people in the right! are always the ones that feel like the bad neighbor. GEtting quite sick of it..

I had my fence split with 4 neighbors. And the one one that did not pay me had the least amount to pay for. All the other neighbors understood it was the right thing to do, even though 2 of them where not prepared to complete there entire back yard(budget issues) they agreed to split with what i was doing because they knew it would only be a matter of time before they would end up doing the rest of there yards...

I suppose i made out ok, i got stiffed about 250$ on a 3000$approx job.

I get so outraged even thinking about the hole situation as the people out rite lied to the contractor and to my face... I should have known as they screwed over others who tried to fence the year prior..
Old 2011-07-21, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerjock View Post
I think the horrible neighbour title has already been given out to the guy who owes you for the fence.

I figure you pay your taxes for a reason - might as well get something back.
Ya they get atleast one of the Alton bad neighbour nominations for this year...month, week...its really unfortunate however without knowing your situation or theirs for that matter could it be financial, meaning they just don't have it or is it just blatent lack of neighbourly courtesy. If the latter good luck with them it will always be an awkward moment, they know they didn't pay you and you will always look at them as the ones who didn't pay...
Old 2011-07-21, 04:32 PM
Regular User

F#!*ing cheap people disgust me. How is it you can afford to live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in burlington but can't cough up a few hundred bucks for a fence and then use a bunch of sh#t as an excuse.
They must think you are retarded, it's insulting to try such a lame crap, I would not stand for it, screw the good neighbor policy that's what they are praying on.
Old 2011-07-21, 05:13 PM
Regular User

And if you cannot afford it or dont want it say so right from the beggining... not after the agreed on work is done
Old 2011-07-21, 07:31 PM
Regular User

Default Shady Fencing Company?

I just went through a fencing group buy and the company we dealt with absolutely refused to cash any deposit or process the work order until all the houses involved signed their paperwork.

I'm surprised all fencing companies aren't doing this?
Moved In: April 10th 2010