Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-07-30, 04:21 PM
Regular User

Default Builder did not ask me to sign water heater rental. Can I ditch it and buy instead?

There was nothing in sales agreement or any addendums that said I was bound by any terms or contracts of any heater rental. I contacted my lawyer, he checked the agreement and confirmed that. Says most builders have you sign something to agree to the rental terms, but my builder seemed to have slipped and not included that in the agreement.

Has anyone had the rental removed and installed a purchased unit? The house had a tankless. Will they just remove the tankless heater unit or start ripping out the venting tubes that go through the bricks to the exterior? Little nervous that builder will be angry for me doing this and will make my life difficult when it comes to getting warranty issues in new home addressed. But I really don't like tankless, prefer tank and I really don't like rental.. prefer owning.

Thoughts?
Old 2015-07-30, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Interesting. You own the venting - not part of any rental agreement.

Usually you sign the rental contract at closing. Not sure what will happen if you don't. If you already did, that's it then.

Do you know who the rental company would be/is?

Are you already in this house? Was looking at an earlier (April) post saying closing was days away.

Last edited by good2know; 2015-07-30 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2015-07-30, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Yes, already in the house. The rental heater is owned by Direct Energy or whatever their new name is. The clerk I spoke to seemed to think if the builder didn't get me to sign anything then the builder is responsible for the unit..
Old 2015-07-30, 06:36 PM
Regular User

Are you being billed for this on your gas bill?
Old 2015-07-30, 06:51 PM
Regular User

No, not yet. I just got a notice saying: "Thanks for renting from us.... you will be paying $40/mth + HST, these are the general terms and conditions of all Direct Energy water heater rental contracts, etc". From what I hear, it will eventually show up on one of my monthly Enbridge Gas bills. Hasn't yet. But I just signed up for automatic debits with Enbridge from my bank acct. Perhaps I should cancel that in case they refuse to stop billing and Enbridge continues to pull the money out of my acct for water heater rental?
Old 2015-07-31, 06:48 AM
Regular User

This is a question for your Lawyer.
Old 2015-07-31, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
This is a question for your Lawyer.
They mentioned they already contacted their lawyer.

Old 2015-07-31, 10:01 AM
Regular User

FYI they are called Enercare now

Loads of info below in that link. ITs a shame you don't want a tankless. Because your cheapest and least problematic solution would be to buy it out.

http://www2.directenergy.com/builder...me_Booklet.pdf
Old 2015-08-25, 04:21 PM
Regular User

When I bought a home that had a rental I read the small print on agreement and it said "payment of your first bill constitutes acceptance of contract terms". I bought since it is usually foolish to rent, and when they tried to charge me removal fees etc I quoted their own small print, left it in the driveway, and didn't pay them a cent.

Enjoyed the free use of your tank. Taste of their own medicine for those crooks lol
Old 2015-08-28, 07:27 AM
Regular User

Default Rental Water Heater Obligation?!?!?!?

A good morning:

I have just found this wonderful site.

I am considering a new home at the Ridge.

Mortified to learn that the developers are obligating new home buyers to a rental contract for hot water.

This is totally inappropriate and appears to be "forced association".

The Toronto Star consumer advocate Ellie Roseman has been warning readers about the many negatives of these tanks. the selling process and the charges vs simply buying a water heater and owning for many years.

While I do not want to scuttle a potential new home, I will certainly be taking on Direct Energy after I sign the purchase contract.

For those of similar philosophy, my action plan:

* Write the Ontario Minister of Consumer Relations and ask why purchasers of a new home are forced against their will to enter into a subordinate contract

* Write the local MPP and ask the same question

* Contact the Ottawa Citizen and Toronto Star and blow open this abuse

At $50 month for 7 years, that is $4,200. This money will purchase many regular hot water heaters and pay for the slightly higher cost of energy. I have owned a hot water heater for 15 years which cost $500 from Home Depot and never had any issue nor was I making payments to support a large expensive overhead called Direct Energy.

Thoughts?

ABoatNerd