Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2006-09-28, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Question 2nd floor laundry and family room?

The second floor laundry and family room seems to be a trend in new homes now a days. Are they truly and advantage or do they just appear to be? Does the 2nd floor laundry have a drain in it should a leak occur? Most people who have a 2nd floor laundry and especailly the 2nd floor family room I have spoken to have suggested not to go for plans that have these features.

I would be interested to here from others on the pros and cons of these 2 features.

Thank you for any responses.

AMD
Old 2006-09-28, 10:05 AM
Regular User

The 2nd floor laundry will not have a drain, so if you have a leak it will do major damage to the floor and ceiling below.

In my opinion the 2nd floor laundry leaves you little room to iron or air dry your handwashables. We also didn't want the noise upstairs, since we do a lot of laundry in the evenings or later at night.

We had our 2nd floor laundry room changed to an open concept computer nook.

My 2 cents
Old 2006-09-28, 10:12 AM

Congrats on your new home!

The home we purchased with Mattamy does have the laundry room on the 2nd floor, however there is no drain. I felt that the time saved (more the physical labour saved) was worth having the laundry facilities upstairs. The room is tiled in our model which will save problems with smaller leaks, however, if there was a large issue, we'll be relying on our home insurance to fix it. The other reason we liked the laundry room upstairs was so that we'd have more storage space in the basement. The laundry tub is still down there but it's a little dark and I'd rather hide boxes in there by the hot water tank than stuffing my beautiful machines down there.

I can't speak to the family room, but perhaps a mattamy Winterfield or Lindmont owner could help you out.
Old 2006-09-28, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington Bound
The room is tiled in our model which will save problems with smaller leaks, however, if there was a large issue, we'll be relying on our home insurance to fix it. .
Just curious, would a person pay more for their home insurance if there is no drain in the second floor laundry room?

Old 2006-09-28, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOH
Just curious, would a person pay more for their home insurance if there is no drain in the second floor laundry room?
Yes, once they've made their first claim due to water damage! :lol:
Old 2006-09-28, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1
The second floor laundry and family room seems to be a trend in new homes now a days. Are they truly and advantage or do they just appear to be? Does the 2nd floor laundry have a drain in it should a leak occur? Most people who have a 2nd floor laundry and especailly the 2nd floor family room I have spoken to have suggested not to go for plans that have these features.

I would be interested to here from others on the pros and cons of these 2 features.

Thank you for any responses.

AMD
We currently have a second floor laundry room in our home, and I LOVE IT!! It is fully tiled, and does have a drain. I have had basement laundry rooms and main floor laundry rooms, but like having it on the second floor by far! We have not had any problems...

Second floor family rooms, on the other hand, are not something that I like! We have specifically chosen a model that does not have a second floor family room. We look at it from the point of view that we are purchasing a family home (even though we don't have kids). Once kids have gone to bed, if the family room is on the same floor as the bedrooms, you are not going to be able to have the TV too loud, make too much noise etc. I much prefer the idea of having the family room on the lower level, and keeping the upper level for bedrooms...

You might want to check with Ashley at the Sundial sales office to see if they build second floor laundry rooms with drains. They will probably be able to tell you for sure when you go for the seminar...
Old 2006-09-29, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Our old home and soon to be new Mattamy home both have 2nd floor laundry and we do love it. Makes laundry so much less of a chore. If you have quality machines then leaking should not be a problem, but just in case we may purchase a flood stop device that turns off the water lines should it sense any water on the floor. You can see them here: http://www.absoluteautomation.ca/flood_stop

2nd floor family rooms are not as functional in our opinion. Usually, you want to be able to entertain guests, or watch the kids, while you are working in the kitchen so for us it made sense to choose a floor plan with family room off the kitchen.

Our 2 cents worth!
Steve & Lesley

Last edited by SteveLesley; 2006-09-29 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2006-09-29, 02:57 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up Second floor laundrey room

Last edited by allycat; 2007-01-29 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2006-10-02, 11:19 AM
Regular User

We also weighed the pro's and con's, we decided on the 2nd floor laundry room, me and my knees love it, less work doing the laundry, I actually do not mind the chore as much now that it is easier, as for the leak if there was major damage we would be looking to our insurance. We discussed the concern with mattamy about the drain and they said with their experiences it is not needed so they no longer do it, hopefully we will not have anything to worry about. I will let my husband look into the website provided about the stopper that was provided by Steve(I think).

2nd floor family room we left a bedroom, again with the kids it gives them another option to segregate themselves from the family, we have a teenager and we try to keep her involved with the rest of the family not cooped up with the tv, so we prefer our main family room just off the kitchen.

So far these choices have suited our family needs just fine, good luck with your decision(s)

Corry

Old 2006-10-02, 11:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&CSamuels
We discussed the concern with mattamy about the drain and they said with their experiences it is not needed so they no longer do it,
ie: we'd rather save 100$ per house because it doesn't affect the number of houses we sale since it's the insurance companies that end up paying for the damage if something happens.