Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-02-21, 08:20 AM
Regular User

Default Replacing Golf Courses with Housing

I'm interested to know what people think about this now that two prominent suburbs are gearing up for quite the battle trying to prevent builders from replacing golf courses with housing.

Stonebridge info here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ting-1.4992370

Kanata Lakes info here:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ried-residents

I'd be some kind of peeved if I had been sold on paying a premium to be part of,or even back onto,a golf course only to see this about-face a decade later. But is the combination of the Tiger Woods effect now subsiding and younger people choosing less expensive, more active sports, combined with soaring real estate prices making these developments only a matter of time? Or do the homeowners have recourse since they paid to be part of a golf course community?

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out...
Old 2019-02-21, 08:45 AM
Regular User

I'm thinking that buried deep in Appendix xx of the Purchase sale agreement is a clause that the builder is not responsible for what happens in the future on land owned by others.
Old 2019-02-21, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
I'm thinking that buried deep in Appendix xx of the Purchase sale agreement is a clause that the builder is not responsible for what happens in the future on land owned by others.
I'm sure it's in every new home sale agreement... the number of people who I see buy houses on the grounds that they're backing on to an empty lot, then have that lot built on 10 years later...oh boy.

The developer can't control what's going to happen in 10 years. I mean, what if the golf course is not profitable, and they shut down - do you just leave the thing to decay and the grass to grow?
Old 2019-02-21, 09:02 AM
Regular User

I don't disagree. But for those who paid an explicit premium, much like those who pay same for backing onto green space (different that just an empty lot that will inevitably be developed), it's a tough one. I think a business has to be reasonably ethical even if they have shareholders.
Old 2019-02-21, 09:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I don't disagree. But for those who paid an explicit premium, much like those who pay same for backing onto green space (different that just an empty lot that will inevitably be developed), it's a tough one. I think a business has to be reasonably ethical even if they have shareholders.
Is it the same developer that developed the original properties? If yes, there may be a precedent for a lawsuit, or for the developer to refund those lot premiums, in full, or in part.

If it's a different developer, nothing will happen. They have no obligation to these people that paid lot premiums.

Here's the trouble - if it becomes a legal case, and it's a different developer, that will set a precedent for future cases, and people coming saying "I bought a forest-facing lot, now you're cutting down the forest, you owe me money". It's looking at economics vs ethics.
Old 2019-02-21, 11:52 AM
Regular User

i dont know for sure but i would bet that their legal teams included something in the PSA to cover this. their teams are well-paid and have been around for a long time.
Old 2019-02-21, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Is it the same developer that developed the original properties? If yes, there may be a precedent for a lawsuit, or for the developer to refund those lot premiums, in full, or in part.
In most cases, they open subsets of the company for each new development and close it when that development is done. I don't know that you'd have recourse with the parent company.

At the very least there should be a time period where you'd be guaranteed what that premium was supposed to give you.
Old 2019-02-22, 07:54 AM
Regular User

It is examples like these why I will never pay a premium to buy because of location. Backing onto anything means nothing in the future. Almost all lands can be developed. Even ocean views can have land added and developed.

It will be interesting to see how the City responds to these requests. My thoughts are the developments will go ahead eventually.
Old 2019-02-22, 08:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
In most cases, they open subsets of the company for each new development and close it when that development is done. I don't know that you'd have recourse with the parent company.

At the very least there should be a time period where you'd be guaranteed what that premium was supposed to give you.
I agree with this. The builder can't make promises forever, but I think the people should have some protection for a reasonable period of time, a generation even. 25 ish years sort of thing. Just does not seem right that a builder could charge a lot premium of sometimes way north of 50K, then change the plans without compensating the buyers.
Old 2019-02-22, 08:39 AM
Regular User

I believe the houses backing onto the Kanata Lakes golf course were build between 1995-1998ish (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Does anyone know when the houses backing onto the Stonebridge golf courses were built?