Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-06-25, 11:46 AM
Regular User

Default Kitchen Hardwood Type

Hey everyone!

I'd like to get some feedback about your opinions on having a dark stained OAK hardwood floor in a kitchen with MAPLE espresso colored cabinets.

I like the look of dark cabinets and dark hardwood (see photo below), but am concerned about the oak grain against the smooth maple. Will it clash, or will it provide a nice balance?

Should I pay the extra for the upgrade to maple hardwood flooring, or just stick with the oak? (I am not asking about wear and tear of the flooring as I have already researched the pros and cons of each. At this point, I am only concerned about the look).

Let me know what you think about the oak flooring. Thanks!

Below is an inspiration picture (thanks Katherine!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	2521  
Old 2008-06-25, 11:51 AM
Regular User

I personally would try to stay in the same wood family. I'm surprised there is an upgrade cost from Oak to Maple though... that's the first I've heard of that from any builder.
Old 2008-06-25, 12:24 PM
Regular User

As you sure thta you want hardwood in the kitchen? When you are doing dishes tonight (regardless if you use a dishwasher) take note of how much water you end up with on the floor by mistake.

My vote is keep the woods the same. Go maple.
Old 2008-06-25, 12:43 PM
Regular User

Yes, I want hardwood. I have hardwood in my kitchen now, and it works (and looks) great!
Old 2008-06-25, 01:03 PM
Regular User

I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing oak/maple. etc.

We got birch hardwood floors, birch cabinets stained cocoa and our railings are oak stained walnut. The variance in the grains is a nice contrast. Wood does not have to be matchy-matchy!
Old 2008-06-25, 01:43 PM
Regular User

I would go for the maple. Do you get oak standard in your house as a bonus or something? Cause the cost to upgrade from Oak to maple isn't that much... I prefer the clean look.

I don't think it would look "bad" to have the oak with maple cabinets, but I'd definitely prefer the clean maple
Old 2008-06-25, 01:53 PM
Regular User

Yes, oak comes standard. But we're getting a dark stain, which will be about a $1500-$2000 upgrade for floor and spindles, etc (just on oak). Then we need to upgrade our tile floor to hardwood in the kitchen, and then upgrade all of it to maple. We're starting to talk about a $5K upgrade now.

And given that we've already spent about $50K, we're trying to cut back. But I'm with you, I think I would prefer to have the clean look of the maple. And heck, what's another $5K at this point in time right? (yeah...try selling that idea to my husband). LOL
Old 2008-06-25, 04:10 PM
Regular User

I love hardwood in a kitchen and have lived with it for years. It's far more comfortable on your feet and legs than ceramic. People are always concerned with water, etc... but if your hard wood is the prefinished variety, you'd have to spill a tonne of water to ruin it. Which would mean you had bigger problems (like a flooded basement). As a side benefit, wood doesn't crack when you drop dishes on it... and sometimes the dish survives too!
Old 2008-06-25, 04:35 PM
Regular User

we just went through the same thing... and decided on Oak vs Maple floors, and Maple Espresso Cabinets...

when it comes to the floor, the prominence of the grain in Oak hides scratches better than maple... we saw this first hand at the decor centre which had maple flooring in the showroom...

Old 2008-06-25, 04:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and B View Post
Yes, oak comes standard. But we're getting a dark stain, which will be about a $1500-$2000 upgrade for floor and spindles, etc (just on oak). Then we need to upgrade our tile floor to hardwood in the kitchen, and then upgrade all of it to maple. We're starting to talk about a $5K upgrade now.

And given that we've already spent about $50K, we're trying to cut back. But I'm with you, I think I would prefer to have the clean look of the maple. And heck, what's another $5K at this point in time right? (yeah...try selling that idea to my husband). LOL
If $$$ is a big issue the stained oak would look just fine. As well, you mentioned uprgading the ceramic tile to hardwood. If you're talking ceramic tile and NOT the crap vinyl stuff they give us in the townhomes I bet it won't cost much. Hardwood and ceramic tile are priced pretty similar. For my own home I saw that the cost to put ceramic tile in the kitchen vs. hardwood was almost identical. My inlaws were allowed to swap standard hardwood areas out and make them tile at no charge.

Hardwood in kitchens is awesome!