Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-08-31, 10:17 PM
Regular User

Default Best time to buy an A/C

Just bought a new home and was wondering when A/C prices come down if any? I'm looking at getting a Trane 3 Ton, 13 SEER (PURON) along with the Trane Air Cleaner and a humidifier. I've asked a few places and they all say the prices wont' be going down if though the season is over.

Any advice?

Old 2008-09-01, 08:56 AM
Regular User

They should go down especially if they have extra in stock and will be old model for next year. Try in a month or so to see if you'll still get the same answer.
Old 2008-09-01, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Prices should be less now that the humidity and the heat are pretty much gone.

I recently got a quote for a 1.5 ton, Amana 13 SEER for $2,200 everything included with 10 year warranty. Not exactly the best brand in the business but we only plan to use the A/C when it's sweltering so that's fine by me.

Speaking of A/C, anyone has comments about freeon (the older refrigerant) and puron (the new refrigerant ?) Should we go for the new stuff now ? a bit more expensive but I believe freeon will no longer be available as of next year.
Old 2008-09-01, 11:52 AM
Regular User

I'm pretty much convinced that Puron is the way to go (not because I want to be environmentally friendly) because Freon will likely become very expensive to get later on.
Some manufacturers are new in the market when it comes to Puron so its a good idea to do some research prior to buying a Puron unit.

The quote I got for the Trane A/Cwas $5100 it comes with the air cleaner ($1300) and a Humidifier ($300).

Old 2008-09-01, 07:29 PM
Regular User

I am closing the first week of November. Do they install A/C units in the winter? Would it be best to get it in early Spring or should I do it in November?

Thx
Old 2008-09-02, 11:53 AM
Regular User

wait until the very early spring - you get a new/current model, rather than last year's, and you still get a great price. just book your install for late march or any time in april.