Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-09-27, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Default What type of wood?

What type of wood did you choose for your cabinets? In our case, I believe the standards are birch, maple and pine (though I cannot remember for sure). When I look at certain stains on different wood types, there's sometimes a big difference due to the grain of the wood. I'd like a wood that has some grain so it doesn't look like PVC, but not too grainy. The one I've taken a liking to is birch, with a coffee stain. What are your thoughts on wood types and stains?

Also, if I put a coffee stain on my cabs with a dark hardwood floor (either mahogany or espresso/java)...do you think those stains can work together? I want a dark floor with med-dark cabs...(my bf is not digging light cabs at all and I do prefer dark or med-dark).

Thanks as usual!

Anita

p.s. Here's a link to the site with most of the stain/wood choices we have for our cabinets:

http://www.muskokacabco.com/kitchens.html
Old 2008-09-28, 12:18 AM
Regular User

In our case, we went with a glaze which makes the grain nearly invisible. I think ours ended up being birch. Maple and Birch are both nice because the grain is mild and whether the floor is maple or oak, which has a strong grain, I think it will work. I am not a fan of the matching the floor colour and other woods in the house. I think a dark floor with lighter cabinets can work, or vice versa, without a problem.

You mention pine. I don't think Mattamy had a pine cabinet there but I can't imagine having pine for the kitchen. It is generally knotty and soft. It will show wear and tear fairly strongly as a result. In my opinion, pine is a very 'country' style of wood, like you'd see in a cottage.... just my $0.02 though.
Good luck with your choices.
Old 2008-09-28, 12:36 AM
Regular User

I agree wood takes stain differently. Birch takes stain well as does Cherry. Maple does not seem to take stain well based on the samples I saw at Muskoka. You can check this out yourself just my opinion. You will notice that when you look at birch wood cabinets at Muskoka there is a warning that birch may warp...check this out before you buy birch. No concerns about Mapel and Cherry warping. All these woods have nice grain. I did choose Cherry cabinets with a cinnamon stain. My friend chose cherry cabinets with a cocoa stain - they look like chocolate brown. Mine look more medium brown. My hardwood is amaretto stained red oak so it compliments the cabinets but does not match them. Tamarack's standards are oak and birch. Maple and cherry are upgrades.
Old 2008-09-28, 07:26 AM
Regular User

We chose cherry as well with a hazelnut stain and they are really nice. Just remember that going to dark will show all your milk drips and dents and chips are a little harder to cover up, but going to light will show dirty finger marks around your knobs.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:02 AM
Regular User

we are at the same stage and we initially decided to pick Birch for both cabinets and hardwood. When picked oak hardwood for the stairs, but found out that I can't pick birch and I can only pick the stains for the stairs.

We are concerned that the grain difference between birch hardwood for flooring and oak hardwood for the stairs will show.

I have attached a picture for the selection so far. We are done yet, but still debating this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3422a (Large).jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2993  
Old 2008-09-28, 08:59 AM
Regular User

i think it depends a bit on your color. And also how much you want to spend...We spent a good 30K in upgrades throughout the house, but kept the standard wood cupboards. We used the dark stain and it looks great...
Old 2008-09-28, 09:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMatt View Post
...I am not a fan of the matching the floor colour and other woods in the house. I think a dark floor with lighter cabinets can work, or vice versa, without a problem.
I'm with mrMatt on this. I also believe that stain makes more of an impression than wood type in most cases. If the stains match perfectly (floor and cabinets), then I find it often just seems like too much of the same thing. If they don't match perfectly, but are very similar, then it just looks a bit off (IMO). I find contrast looks best, provided the colours complement each other. However, this is mostly if the hardwood is in the kitchen, too.

However, if you are putting tile in the kitchen, this is less of an issue. You can probably get away with just about anything if you select a tile that complements both the hardwood it meets up with and the cabinets.
Old 2008-09-28, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
...We are concerned that the grain difference between birch hardwood for flooring and oak hardwood for the stairs will show.
The grain difference will probably be noticeable, but I'd say it's fine since you can kind of consider the stairs to be a different "area" if you will. For example, you probably wouldn't be thinking twice about your hardwood floor grain if you had opted for carpet on the stairs. To me, the same principle applies. If you are still concerned, can you opt for maple for the stairs? That is usually an option and like some others mentioned, the grain pattern is virtually identical to birch. Either way, it looks fine to me based on the picture and based on the fact that the materials are on different elevations.
Old 2008-09-28, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
we are at the same stage and we initially decided to pick Birch for both cabinets and hardwood. When picked oak hardwood for the stairs, but found out that I can't pick birch and I can only pick the stains for the stairs.

We are concerned that the grain difference between birch hardwood for flooring and oak hardwood for the stairs will show.

I have attached a picture for the selection so far. We are done yet, but still debating this.
I absolutely love your choices! This is much like the color scheme I am aiming for, but preferably with darker floors.
You're not a Tamarack owner are you? The only reason I ask is because if you were, I'd ask you if any of your choices (specifically the backsplash) are upgrades...

Thank you so much for posting that pic-I love it!

Anita
Old 2008-09-28, 11:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
We chose birch.. or maple. I forget which it is (the Salem doors from Laurysen anyhow). stained in chocolate - a darker toned reddish brown. our floors are natural maple.

I am not a fan of the matchy matchy look - there was a post not too long ago with a mattamy home for sale that had floors and cabinets the same wood/stain. It was hard on the eyes!
I agree, matching cabs and hardwood aren't always pleasant to look at. I definitely want contrast but just have trouble figuring out whether or not the colors I am contemplating go well together or not...
In my head they do...but there's lots going on in my head (like the 30 English essays I should be correcting instead of worrying about cabinet stains...lol).

Thanks to you all for replying. Keep the ideas coming; you're all so good at it!