Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-27, 05:17 PM
Regular User

I am very satisfied with my home. I got it with 4 month delay but my compensation cheque came in very timely manner. My sod was layed and driveway was paved the time I got the possession but there are many people in my neighbourhood who got it later. Its a non-issue, this happens with every builder.

Quote:
1. Lower build quality - They seem to skimp on many things, for example they use a lot of siding as oppossed to brick. The use of wood support in the basement compared to steel also concerns me a bit.
No one use full brick sides in Ottawa. I have only seen that in GTA where prices are way higher anyways. They can afford the bricks in that price.

Quote:
2. Smaller lot sizes - Their "wide lot" always seems to be 2-3 metres shorter than the other builders in the same area. (seems to be the case in Stouffville and Milton), thus you may be at least 4-6 metres (13-20 feet) closer to your neighbour behind your home, reducing the amount of sunlight you would get in your yard and lower privacy. Average Mattamy lot depth in Milton seems to be 24-26m while other builders have lots in the 27-30m range.
That fature actually works great in Ottawa because I dont like the external look of most of the homes built by other builders, where sticking garage outside is a feature of the house. If not, the garage is usually single car garage. Mattamy utilize the space nicely for much better look.

Quote:
4. Delays - Mattamy always seems to come up whenever anyone talks about delayed closings. It seems that Mattamy has a reputation in overpromsing and under delivering in terms of closings, moreso than other builders.
There is a good reason for delay. They sell a lot more homes compared to other builders. And if you know the way construction works, they give contracts to different contractors for specified time. Once the contract is over, contractors are schedulled for different builder. Lets say there is a bad weather day on the last day of contractors who dig the land, and the contractors cant do anything that day. They have to start their contract with other builder next day. So the homes that were sceduled to dig wont be able to get foundation, framing, and everything else because there isn't a hole in the land yet. They have to wait another 3 months till the contractors comes back. Same thing would happen if it happens in foundation, framing, electrical, drywalling, painting stage. Because Mattamy sells too many homes, they are prone to bigger delays then others.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
That fature actually works great in Ottawa because I dont like the external look of most of the homes built by other builders, where sticking garage outside is a feature of the house. If not, the garage is usually single car garage. Mattamy utilize the space nicely for much better look..
All the other builders in the GTA do this too. And they can still deliver a larger lot than Mattamy can deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
There is a good reason for delay. They sell a lot more homes compared to other builders. And if you know the way construction works, they give contracts to different contractors for specified time. Once the contract is over, contractors are schedulled for different builder. Lets say there is a bad weather day on the last day of contractors who dig the land, and the contractors cant do anything that day. They have to start their contract with other builder next day. So the homes that were sceduled to dig wont be able to get foundation, framing, and everything else because there isn't a hole in the land yet. They have to wait another 3 months till the contractors comes back. Same thing would happen if it happens in foundation, framing, electrical, drywalling, painting stage. Because Mattamy sells too many homes, they are prone to bigger delays then others.
As a purchaser, I would not accept the excuse that "we sell more homes, thus we have more delays". Mattamy should do a better job managing expectations from the begining, in other words instead of overpromsing and under delivering on the closing dates, give a more realistic closing date up front.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
Iam still in the building process with mattamy, we move in in just over a month. They are completely ahead of schedule. They are extremely easy to get ahold of and prompt in responding. I have found the quality to be far above what we were looking at with other builders. What we noticed was that mattamy gave you the house without the upgrades like hardwood flooring, but they put the money into the quality of the build instead, where as a competitor may have the same house price and have extras like hardwood flooring, and appliances but the quality of the materials was not there. So in the end i figure you can always change things like flooring, but not really the building materials used. I have noticed a couple of small mistakes throughout the building but I would just email them and they would respond same day and have already contacted the approiate people to have it fixed along with the date when it will be fixed. For example today i emailed and noticed an area was tiled that shouldnt be, they have already responded and the tiler will have that fixed by thursday. Plus they give you a particular contact for each department pretty much to handle any concerns, we have a builder contact, design centre as well as head office contact. Iam throughly pleased so far.

oh and maybe the siding thing is different for each neighbourhood? but you have the choice between brick or siding, with only about a $5000 difference for all brick, so if you are noticing alot of siding it is because that is what the homeowners chose, not what mattamy stuck them with.
Talk to any tradesperson, contractor and anyone in the construction industry, they will tell you that if anything, Mattamy uses the same or lower grade building materials compared to the other builders.

At the end of the day, Mattamy has a different business plan than the other GTA builders, where they give you less up front and make more money in the upgrades. I prefer builders like Fieldgate, where I got around $20,000 - $30,000 (using Mattamy's pricing) in upgrades included in my purchase price, and end up spending less overall. Working with many Mattamy homeowners in the resale homes market, I've had many say to me that they found that they overspent, compared to homes from other builders in their neighbourhood, for the equilivanlt home, due to items that Mattamy considers upgrades and other consider to be a standard feature.
However, if you want a bare bones home and do the upgrades yourself, I guess you really can't beat Mattamy, given that their price is the lowest. But every buyer has a different preference.
Old 2009-07-28, 09:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtycoon View Post
Talk to any tradesperson, contractor and anyone in the construction industry, they will tell you that if anything, [B]Mattamy uses the same or lower grade building materials compared to the other builders.[/B]

At the end of the day, Mattamy has a different business plan than the other GTA builders, where they give you less up front and make more money in the upgrades. I prefer builders like Fieldgate, where I got around $20,000 - $30,000 (using Mattamy's pricing) in upgrades included in my purchase price, and end up spending less overall. Working with many Mattamy homeowners in the resale homes market, I've had many say to me that they found that they overspent, compared to homes from other builders in their neighbourhood, for the equilivanlt home, due to items that Mattamy considers upgrades and other consider to be a standard feature.
However, if you want a bare bones home and do the upgrades yourself, I guess you really can't beat Mattamy, given that their price is the lowest. But every buyer has a different preference.
Really? because when comparing with a co-worker, he was rather suprised that my house was framed with 4x6s, or when comparing with a friend our house exterior had foam board and theirs didnt. Or to upgrade to all brick was $5000, vs theirs was $20 000.

Depends on the upgrades, some are overpriced, sure. But others have a one price fits all type of deal, like a backsplash, so if oyu have a smaller house its a ripoff cause your spending the same amount on your backsplash vs a larger house with more backsplash needed is paying the same price.
Old 2009-07-28, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtycoon View Post
As a purchaser, I would not accept the excuse that "we sell more homes, thus we have more delays". Mattamy should do a better job managing expectations from the begining, in other words instead of overpromsing and under delivering on the closing dates, give a more realistic closing date up front.
I dont have much knowledge about the market in Toronto, but Mattamy came to Ottawa only few years ago. First year they sold 300 homes. Next year, they sold 1000. No one could have expected this. In real life, you dont get everything as planned on exact dates. The phase 5 in Fairwinds is another story, because the city changed their minds for further study about the land. Dont blame Mattamy for that.
There is another fact, the base price of my home when I bought it in Jan 2008 was $279,990. Now it is $304,990. Have you seen this much increase in price in property values in Ottawa market at the time of recession by any other builder?