Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2006-01-21, 04:26 PM
Regular User

Default Security Systems

Has anyone heard who the security system provider will be? We opted for the system that the builder offered.
Moved In!
Old 2006-01-22, 01:17 AM
Regular User

out of curiosity, how much was the cost of the security system from the builder? (setup fees, monthly monitoring, etc.)

Our builder in Markham is asking for $25 monthly monitoring fee (min. 3 year contract). This covers any setup or installation fee, basically for $25 we're ready to go.

Not sure if we'll sign up though.

Thx
Old 2006-01-22, 07:41 AM
Regular User

Default Security Systems

Honestly, I wouldn't put a security system into a home. It'd be better to put that $25 a month into an RRSP. I work for the police here in york region in their 911 centre, and by the time a security company even calls police due to an alarm going off, it's usually around 15-25 mins. Then depending on if we have the cars or not, and the priority of the alarm call by the time we get there, the bad guys are long gone......And then there's the issue of the false alarm. False alarms happen 90% of the time, and if your security company doesn't cancel your alarm, and we arrive, you get dinged for a police response to a false alarm. If you end up getting 3 of them, you MUST pay approx. $100-$300 to get your alarm reinstated for the police to again start attending to your house for alarms. Also, all our calls are priority rated, and if you want the highest priortiy for an alarm, a "1", it will cost you a yearly fee of somewhere around $100-$500/year. So yes, you do get monitored for $25, but I highly suggest you check into the monitoring, see if you get priority dispatching, how long they take to contact police after they receive an alarm and their alarm cancellation record.

Personally, I'd put the money towards house insurance, or RRSP, or a bigscreen TV, ha ha.

Just food for thought. If you have any questions. Just drop me a line. or you can email me at work. 5348@police.york.on.ca
Old 2006-01-22, 09:54 AM
Regular User

just some more thoughts

there are many reasons for an alarm

1. critiacl function. these are 24/7 alarms - low or high temp - smoke alarms (with a smoke alarm the fire dept is called most of the time before you are out of the house). water sensors (in MOM may be good) - ac fail and so on

2. alarm notifcation. - alarms are sent according to your call list - the police do not have to be called - at our cottage they only call us if there is alarm

3. alarms do not have to be monitored. there are systems that can call a pager or cell.

4. if you have a system that has home and away function set up you can arm the perimeter of your house while you are in the house or arm the complete system when you go away.

there are many ways to us an alarm - not all need to be monitored

andrew
Lot#45- 55 Harry Sanders Ave. L4A 0J7 Valleywood B
Closing Date: June 14, 2006/now: Feb. 21, 2007
ask about fences, decks and general handyman
Old 2006-01-22, 10:18 AM
Regular User

Default Security

It's try that the alarm co. tries to call you first at the sign of an alarm, but if your a half an hour out, or they can't get a hold of you, police dont' find out until about 30 mins later.

With Medical Alarms and Fire Alarms, sometimes there is an extra premimum you have to pay. Power outages suck too, becuase with SOME alarm co.'s they call police for alarms, and if we can get there, you get dinged with a false alarm too.

I used to firefight in Stouffville too, and if we got fire alarms, and no k/h could be reached, we would HAVE make entry to check the premise, with house damage and such.

But some really good things with the medical alarms, a lot of them or wireless, and for people who need the help, they just carry around a button usually on a chain, and they can notify the alarm co. a medical issue is at hand, and they send fire and amb. right away.

I'm just very weiry on alarms becuase of all the ones our officers go to, and end up being false, and the party who has the alarm who has to pay for the fee's, and the reinstatement of the alarm after it's been suspended. I don't think alarms really prevent much, becuase if people do break in, they are almost always gone before anyone can do anything.
Old 2006-01-22, 11:05 AM
Regular User

The point of an alarm is not to catch a thief; it is for protection and piece of mind. We are putting one in for many reasons and none have to do with catching anyone. If someone really wants to steal from you they well, and if they are good they will get away with it. For us priority dispatching is not an issue because I do not care if they catch the criminals, if the police don’t show up in the first 2 minutes, they will not catch anyone on site (this is the average time it takes for a break-in, from start to finish). There is nothing you can do to stop it, that’s what insurance is for :lol:

Here are some of the reasons we are getting an alarm:

1. First off, to have the monitoring sticker and keypad visible to the outside. All security professionals and police that I have meet agree that this is one of the best ways to deter the average criminal, they will move on to another house that does not, why would they take the chance.
2. As mentioned above, monitoring for fire, safety, etc. More for when we are away. We have that now and if there is a problem they call us or my parent to deal with it. Nothing worst than going away for a week and coming back to your house that has sit for a week with the front door wide open because no-one was notified, or worst burnt to the grown because the fire department was not notified.
3. When my wife is home, she likes the piece of mind that the police button gives her, at any time she is one button away form the authorities being called.
4. We have children and we set the alarm at night (doors/windows only) so that if for some reason our child decides to leave the house we are notified by the alarm going off.
5. Similar to above but if someone enters our house at night with us there we are also notified.

There are other reasons as well, but these are the main ones. We have had an alarm for 4 years; it has gone off quite a number of times, luckily all false alarms (either we tripped it or something else happened). We have never had the police called; most monitoring companies will call the house first and then the contact people before automatically sending the authorities. We have also had many power outages over the years and the alarm has never gone off for that.

Mike
Old 2006-01-22, 11:05 AM
Regular User

just one question - have you ever herd of a life saved by an alarm?

i guess there is one thing i should say i am not getting the alarm from the builder

also i have no alarm now in my house - but i am thinking about the new house - more for critical function

andrew
Old 2006-01-22, 11:12 AM
Administrator

I've always felt that:

Why would I pay someone to tell me someone else broke into my house?

They have already broken into it by that time and taken what they wanted.

So sure, maybe get one for your own piece of mind, but I don't see the point in paying for a monitoring fee.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2006-01-22, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Andrew,

We look at it more like insurance, “what if”, not to prevent. Think about insurance, do you have home insurance to stop a fire from happening? No, you have it incase it happens. The same for the Alarm, I do not have it to stop someone from breaking in, I have it incase someone breaks in (or something else happens). I hope it never does, just like I hope I never have to use my insurance policy.

Another thing to note is that if you have an alarm, most insurance companies will reduce your premiums, which might offset your costs. Ours did to a certain amount

Greg,

I agree, I think it is a personal choice for monitoring. For us I would rather pay someone else to notify me or the people on my contact list incase I am not available. It’s to deal with the aftermath, not to stop it. But that is just me :wink:

Mike
Old 2006-01-22, 12:06 PM
Regular User

hey mike

just a personal note - i am a locksmith and now work for a security company. i was just giving info not my personal feeling on all the pros and cons to the systems that are on the market.

i will give my personal feeling if i am asked on something specific. there are so many things on the market that have pros and cons and everyonehas different needs. i install things all the time that i feel are not needed but custumers see value in it. there is also many times that i feel they need more.

i do not beleive it is for me to tell someone what to do in this field. i believe i should try to make a person feel safe in there home or work place.

critical function is a big thing in my world. water sensors, hi/low temp, smoke, low oil, and so on. alarm are secondary. locks are a good place to start and so on.

ask me and i can tell you my personal feeling or what the industry is saying.

andrew