Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-02-12, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Default Public Meeting on Radon Gas

Those of you who live in Kanata or Stittsville, or thinking of purchasing a home in the area may find this of interest ...

==========================

Public Meeting on Radon Gas
Thursday, February 16th from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Mlacak Centre (2500 Campeau Drive)

Radon is a colourless, odourless, radioactive gas that occurs naturally in the environment, coming from the natural breakdown of uranium in soils and rocks. It is widely found in homes across Canada. It does not tend to be an issue when outdoors, as it dilutes to harmless levels in the atmosphere; however, in a confined space - like a basement - radon can accumulate to high levels. Exposure to high concentrations of radon can increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer. A number of residents have contacted me about their concerns over radon in homes, so I have organized a Public Meeting, with the assistance of Health Canada, to provide you with information and answer questions.

Radon can penetrate into a home through dirt floors, cracks in concrete, sumps, joints, and basement drains. The province is considering changes to the Ontario Building Code that would help reduce the amount of radon that can enter homes in new developments. Some builders are voluntarily making these changes in their construction processes already. I invite you to attend this Public Information Meeting for a presentation on Radon by representatives from Health Canada, and to learn about what you can do as a homeowner to minimize your risk of exposure to radon. This presentation will focus on how to determine the levels of radon in your home and what remedial measures you can take if the levels of radon exceed Health Canada's recommended levels.

The meeting is open to all residents, not just those in Kanata North, as radon can be found everywhere. Please let your friends and neighbours across the city know about this information meeting.
Old 2012-02-13, 06:06 AM
Regular User

Interestingly, we have bought a new home in Carp. During the PDI last week the rep pointed out that the builder installed a 4 inch PVC pipe vented directly to the roof to vent the radon from underneath the foundation. I wonder if that's one off the new measures?
Old 2012-02-13, 07:22 AM
Regular User

yes see number 4 >> http://www.ehow.com/how_5899754_remo...-basement.html
Old 2012-02-13, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Thanks G2K. I've never been that concerned in our current house (in N. Kanata) although I probably should have had it checked out. Nice to know our new build is ahead of the curve
Old 2012-02-13, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Good read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon
Old 2012-02-13, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Charlie - is there a fan attached to the PVC pipe?
Old 2012-02-13, 01:07 PM
Regular User

Radon: A Guide for Canadian Home Owners

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/pdf...=1329156394348
Old 2012-02-13, 01:23 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure ... I was surprised to see the pipe, to tell you the truth -- wasn't in the specs. I will make a note and ask once we are moved in to find out what is involved in the system. As far as I know, the pipe is vented through the roof. There was no mention of a fan. (But granted, the woman who did the PDI didn't even know it was called "radon" gas.)
Old 2012-02-13, 09:30 PM
Regular User

Read this over. Hopefully your builder already has a copy of this. The 4 inch PVC pipe in your home is probably a rough in to allow you to install a fan system (if needed once you've tested your home). Even though the guide gives you the possibility of installing the fan in the attic most installers would prefer to install it in the basement.

http://www.radonleaders.org/sites/de...0English_0.pdf
Old 2012-02-14, 05:58 AM
Regular User

It seems you can have a passive vent (just a pipe to vent the radon) or an active vent (one with a fan to pull the gas up). I will need to see which we have. Also, having an HRV (which we have as part of the energy star package) is supposed to be helpful as well.