Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-08-27, 03:19 PM
Regular User

Yes ... builders have 2 options:
Option 1) install a soil gas barrier before pouring the foundation
Option 2) a subfloor depressurization system if they have not done option 1, which is the only option for homes built before 2012.
But then the problem is that if for any reason Option 1 has been selected by builders, and there is still high levels of Radon in the homes the builder has to come and caulk and suspected entry points in the basement. I don't know if the builder is still on the hook to install a subfloor depressurization system at their cost if radon levels can't be brought down. That's something that Tarion would have to clarify.
Old 2012-08-28, 09:45 AM

My 30 days inspection is coming up. Should I put this (inspection of Radon gas) in the form? I am in Stonebridge and builder is Monarch. Not sure if Radon gas is an issue in Stonebridge or the builder has taken an appropriate measure (i.e. soil gas barrier before pouring the foundation or subfloor depressurization system) while constructing the house. Please advice.

Thanks
Old 2012-08-28, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamran View Post
My 30 days inspection is coming up. Should I put this (inspection of Radon gas) in the form? I am in Stonebridge and builder is Monarch. Not sure if Radon gas is an issue in Stonebridge or the builder has taken an appropriate measure (i.e. soil gas barrier before pouring the foundation or subfloor depressurization system) while constructing the house. Please advice.

Thanks
Radon gas can be an issue almost anywhere. That said, the odds of it being an issue in the Stonebridge area is very low and the builders are not expected to take any measures when building their homes. If you want to test for it you can but it will be at your cost.
Old 2012-08-29, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Only in South March Highlands/Kanata Lakes as far as I know...check with the city building division to be sure...can't hurt
Old 2012-08-29, 03:21 PM
Regular User

@Kanatadad
in addition to the soil gas barrier, the builder has to provide a roughin for sub slab depressurization...this consists of a 4" drainage tile loop under the slab connected to a rigid PVC 4" pipe through the slab. it has to be hardcapped and labelled 'soil gas vent". I believe every permit issued in 2012 for South March Highlands zone is required to have this per my conversation with city buildings division in Kanata. also the concrete floor has to have the perimeter and all penetrations caulked with polyurethane caulk. If the homeowner tests high for radon then the builder under these permits is on the hook to mitigate the radon levels by installing a passive vent system or a fan system to the exterior with this 4" pipe, whichever does the trick to lower the radon levels.hope that helps.
Old 2012-08-30, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanataDad View Post
Yes ... builders have 2 options:
Option 1) install a soil gas barrier before pouring the foundation
Option 2) a subfloor depressurization system if they have not done option 1, which is the only option for homes built before 2012.
But then the problem is that if for any reason Option 1 has been selected by builders, and there is still high levels of Radon in the homes the builder has to come and caulk and suspected entry points in the basement. I don't know if the builder is still on the hook to install a subfloor depressurization system at their cost if radon levels can't be brought down. That's something that Tarion would have to clarify.
Is this code yet? I've bought with Urbandale in Kanata Lakes and they aren't doing anything unless I pay for it... At this point we've opted for #2 for about ~$550. We signed the purchase agreement in May of this year. And the house won't be started (foundation) until at least October...

Should I be talking to them about what they should be doing? And who should be paying?
Old 2012-08-30, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craniumcrusher View Post
I believe every permit issued in 2012 for South March Highlands zone is required to have this per my conversation with city buildings division in Kanata.
Can you say where you got this information from? We had to specifically ask and pay for this option in our new build (which hasn't been dug yet). I'm wondering if I'm getting hosed...
Old 2012-08-30, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Must mean there's high levels of Radon in south march. Scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craniumcrusher View Post
@Kanatadad
in addition to the soil gas barrier, the builder has to provide a roughin for sub slab depressurization...this consists of a 4" drainage tile loop under the slab connected to a rigid PVC 4" pipe through the slab. it has to be hardcapped and labelled 'soil gas vent". I believe every permit issued in 2012 for South March Highlands zone is required to have this per my conversation with city buildings division in Kanata. also the concrete floor has to have the perimeter and all penetrations caulked with polyurethane caulk. If the homeowner tests high for radon then the builder under these permits is on the hook to mitigate the radon levels by installing a passive vent system or a fan system to the exterior with this 4" pipe, whichever does the trick to lower the radon levels.hope that helps.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:30 PM
Regular User

@jqs..i dont think you are getting hosed, its like everything else. The city sets permit conditions and the builders pass on the cost to the consumers. It is after all in your best interest and installed in your home..well worth the $550. the info i received is available at the Kanata satellite office, speak to any building code authority there.

@JB Nimble....doesn't mean there ARE high levels, just the potential to have high levels. there is a lot of granite/uranium which is associated with potenetially high radon concentrations
Old 2015-04-27, 05:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqs View Post
Is this code yet? I've bought with Urbandale in Kanata Lakes and they aren't doing anything unless I pay for it... At this point we've opted for #2 for about ~$550. We signed the purchase agreement in May of this year. And the house won't be started (foundation) until at least October...

Should I be talking to them about what they should be doing? And who should be paying?
Sorry for not responding earlier. Have not logged in here for 3 years. This is part of Tarion warranty now. Building code was supposed to change later.

You have up to 7 years warranty under Tarion if you find that your Radon levels are above the guidelines, but they must be tested by a certified tester who does 90 day test. Highest levels are in the winter (November to March) so don't waste your money and do it during summer months. Also - just get a Safety Siren first, or borrow one from a friend. They're accurate within 20% so it would give you an idea whether you want to invest in a $150 home inspector with Radon certification to do the 90 days test later.

Last edited by kanataDad; 2015-04-27 at 05:22 PM.