Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-05-10, 05:09 PM
Regular User

Default soho-west vs barrhaven vs kanata

My wife and I currently live in Barrhaven and work in Kanata.

We are looking into buying our first home and the big question we have is where? Stay in Barrhaven or move closer to work in Kanata?

However, there seems to be a lot of activity in the soho-west area and we like the houses that are being built there.

The problem is we might not be able buy the house we LOVE in either Barrhaven or Kanata, but we already love some of the model home in soho-west.

The house prices in Barrhaven and Kanata seem to be on the increase. Since soho-west is a new area, we are not sure about its future?

So, do we risk it and move to soho-west area BUT live in the house we LOVE, or settle with a house in Barrhaven or Kanata that we LIKE but may not have all the features we want?

What's the future like for soho-west?

Thanks,
Old 2012-05-10, 06:40 PM
Regular User

Old 2012-05-10, 07:48 PM
Regular User

We bought a White Cedar semi-detached through Tartan homes in SohoWest. In terms of specs - you're getting a lot in these houses. Energy Star certified, great floor plans and there are some awesome purchase incentives right now.

In terms of increasing purchase prices, my husband and I had our eye on SohoWest fr about two years, and there has been significant "growth" in purchase point. Even for us, the price for our home has increased by 8k since we bought in November - and we haven't moved in yet!

From what we can tell about the neighborhood - its going to be a nice community surrounded by amenities. I work around the Queensway Carleton hospital and the commute is 10 km. It will be the closest I have ever lived to my place of work.

If you decide on SohoWest - and you decide on a Tartan, I have a "friends and family" coupon that will get you an additional 500$ off your purchase. Message me and we can sort it out.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 2012-05-10, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
We bought a White Cedar semi-detached through Tartan homes in SohoWest. In terms of specs - you're getting a lot in these houses. Energy Star certified, great floor plans and there are some awesome purchase incentives right now.

In terms of increasing purchase prices, my husband and I had our eye on SohoWest fr about two years, and there has been significant "growth" in purchase point. Even for us, the price for our home has increased by 8k since we bought in November - and we haven't moved in yet!

From what we can tell about the neighborhood - its going to be a nice community surrounded by amenities. I work around the Queensway Carleton hospital and the commute is 10 km. It will be the closest I have ever lived to my place of work.

If you decide on SohoWest - and you decide on a Tartan, I have a "friends and family" coupon that will get you an additional 500$ off your purchase. Message me and we can sort it out.

Good luck in your decision!
Thank you. Your feedback was really helpful and it was exactly what I wanted to hear If we decide on Soho West + Tartan, I will take you up on the coupon

Cheers,
Old 2012-05-10, 09:12 PM
Regular User

I've lived here for over a year and wouldn't hesitate to buy here again. You should check out the soho west thread, there is some good info on the park the city is going to build.

There is a lot within walking distance, Wal Mart, Farm Boy, Starbucks, Superstore, Shoppers, etc... On the downside there are no schools in the immediate area, everything will be across a major arterial road which isn't the end of the world, but might be worth noting; there will eventually be quite a few schools within walking distance though.

The majority of the homes in the area have already been built, so it won't be a construction zone for too much longer.

Not really sure what else to tell you, I've posted the image above showing the plan for the future Blackstone community which will eventually be huge. Mattamy is building homes between Eagleson and Richmond, and Claridge is just about done building homes next door. It sort of seems like sohowest is in the middle of nowhere right now, but that will change in time.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 2012-05-10, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
I've lived here for over a year and wouldn't hesitate to buy here again. You should check out the soho west thread, there is some good info on the park the city is going to build.

There is a lot within walking distance, Wal Mart, Farm Boy, Starbucks, Superstore, Shoppers, etc... On the downside there are no schools in the immediate area, everything will be across a major arterial road which isn't the end of the world, but might be worth noting; there will eventually be quite a few schools within walking distance though.

The majority of the homes in the area have already been built, so it won't be a construction zone for too much longer.

Not really sure what else to tell you, I've posted the image above showing the plan for the future Blackstone community which will eventually be huge. Mattamy is building homes between Eagleson and Richmond, and Claridge is just about done building homes next door. It sort of seems like sohowest is in the middle of nowhere right now, but that will change in time.

Good luck with your decision...
Thank you! Glad to hear that.

We don't have any children (yet), so no schools nearby is fine for now. We currently live right across a school and the morning rush and stop sign is just a mess!

Being in the middle of nowhere is what concerns us as well. But, I agree that the area has a nice future. Also, we drove around the area today and I liked the fact that the houses aren't all jammed beside each other. It really does seem like a nice community.

Thanks for your feedback and best of luck.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:21 AM
Regular User

I can't provide any evidence-base (haven't done much research) but I do recall reading about the soil quality in Soho West being a serious issue and the risk of errosion. This is obviously something that won't affect you for years but longer-term. Also, there was talk about the proximity to the Hydro-lines... Something to consider in your decision-making.
Old 2012-05-11, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Check out Monahan Landing immediately south of Bridlewood in Kanata. My wife and I bought a Glenview home there (smallest one, Robindale). The existing neighbourhood schools and parks in the area are a huge bonus!
Old 2012-06-08, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiej View Post
Check out Monahan Landing immediately south of Bridlewood in Kanata. My wife and I bought a Glenview home there (smallest one, Robindale). The existing neighbourhood schools and parks in the area are a huge bonus!
Eddiej, howdy neighbour.
Which lot did you get? We just purchased a Copperwood a couple of weeks ago and are pretty excited. We are lot 188 on Autumfield.
I can echo eddiej's comment re. the schools and parks were a key factor in our decision since our almost 3 year old currently goes to the daycare at Maurice Lapointe French public on Bridgestone...plus the incentives were really enticing!

Old 2012-06-21, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Jer in Ottawa,
Cool! We got lot 199 on Autumnfield.