Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-06-18, 03:14 PM
Regular User

I think we will be ok. its a farmers feild so its fairly easy. ive heard of builders being delayed becayse of rock in ground, wich makes it harder to excavate.eg. kanata lakes...
but ive been reaserching city zonning plans for blackstone and they only need one traffic light and one entry road for phase one...phase 2,3,land 4 need more developpement. so i dont think we need to worry!
Old 2012-06-18, 03:30 PM
Regular User

Just curious, for those people talking about deposits and payments for upgrades etc.
When you say Mattamy makes you pay 35 per cent of the upgrades, does that mean up front or at closing in cash? So you can't just add all the upgrades to the cost of the house, and then mortgage whatever total amount you want?
Is this normal for most builders?

With Urbandale we had to pay a $1,000, refundable deposit to hold our lot choice for 10 days while we sorted out financing etc. Then we had to give 30k deposit in three, post-dated cheques over three months. We could pay for upgrades separately if we wanted to I think but we're rolling everything into the final purchase price and will pay off what we want to with our down payment when we close.

It was a pretty simple process.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milad View Post
I think we will be ok. its a farmers feild so its fairly easy. ive heard of builders being delayed becayse of rock in ground, wich makes it harder to excavate.eg. kanata lakes...
but ive been reaserching city zonning plans for blackstone and they only need one traffic light and one entry road for phase one...phase 2,3,land 4 need more developpement. so i dont think we need to worry!
I like your positive energy!

Old 2012-06-18, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakview102 View Post
Just curious, for those people talking about deposits and payments for upgrades etc.
When you say Mattamy makes you pay 35 per cent of the upgrades, does that mean up front or at closing in cash? So you can't just add all the upgrades to the cost of the house, and then mortgage whatever total amount you want?
Is this normal for most builders?

With Urbandale we had to pay a $1,000, refundable deposit to hold our lot choice for 10 days while we sorted out financing etc. Then we had to give 30k deposit in three, post-dated cheques over three months. We could pay for upgrades separately if we wanted to I think but we're rolling everything into the final purchase price and will pay off what we want to with our down payment when we close.

It was a pretty simple process.
With Mattamy, after the initial house deposit, you will need to put a deposit of 35% on all upgrades under 50k. Upgrades over 50k are subject to a 50% deposit. The balance of the cost of the upgrades can go on your mortgage. This happens when you finish your design selections (I think) which is probably around 8 months out from closing? Maybe 4 mths? No idea...

And yes, in cash/debit, etc.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2012-06-18, 03:34 PM
Regular User

I will let other Mattamy experts (lots of them on this website) to answer more accurately, but the way I think it works is you pay 35% of upgrades upfront. Eventually, however, the price of the house will be amended to reflect the upgrades and the 35% you paid will count towards the downpayment of your home.

with Cardel is similar, however, it's 10% as opposed to 35%. but same process

Old 2012-06-18, 03:35 PM
Regular User

See! homeshoppin answered it perfectly

Old 2012-06-20, 08:32 AM
Regular User

went to see mr H yesterday. 15 lots sold so far.....its coming along nicely...i actually met one of our future neighbours in lor 141 i believe.they bought an inverness.nice people.only 1 standard lot left people....hurry if u want it
Old 2012-06-20, 12:18 PM
Regular User

blackstone vs kanata lakes...where is the best investment? what do u guys think
Old 2012-06-20, 12:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milad View Post
blackstone vs kanata lakes...where is the best investment? what do u guys think
Kanata Lakes! I've only driven through there once to pick up boxes from someone but it is a really nice area and the homes have more of a unique exterior to them. They are also secluded from major roads so it is a nice tranquil community.

PLUS - I would never be anywhere close to the powerlines in Blackstone and it is off a busy road (Terry Fox).

Other than that first impression that is about all I know about the two areas.

Last edited by Almost_Home; 2012-06-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:36 PM
Regular User

It's a tough comparison and it's almost like comparing apples and oranges. Blackstone area is not even on the maps yet and Kanata Lakes is already a developed area with beautiful houses and etc.

The advantage of being in Phase1 of a development site is that your house price will increase at a higher rate than already established areas. So that's a bonus.

Powerlines could be a concern for some people. Although in my opinion, the single homes are far enough from them that you will receive just as much EMF as you would from the regular power lines that are right outside your window! and as the community evolves and houses and condos are built, they will be less obvious...

overall, i think it's too soon to do such comparison...give it a few more years...