Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville

Stouffville Moving to Stouffville? Already living there? This section is for you.

Old 2010-03-17, 12:37 AM
Regular User

Default Supporting Local Businesses before more go broke

I just thought it would be a good idea to post your favourite local businesses, so that others can give it a try. It's so easy for us to drive to Markham to go out to eat, but it also doesn't bode well for our community and property values when all of Stouffville's restaurants and businesses close their doors.

So far the businesses that have closed in Stouffville are: Shoeless Joes, Burger King and now Fulton Burger is added to the list of casualties.

For my recommendations:
We enjoy Sgt Peppers on Mondays for $0.59 wing night. The wings are huge!
For weekend breakfasts, my wife enjoys Eggxperts and Fickle Pickle.

Would love to hear of some other suggestions for good food.
Old 2010-03-17, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I'm quite amazed that places like those would have closed.. Shoeless and Burger King are both corporate/franchise type stores that typically would do a crapload of research before they allow a location to open. Not sure about Fulton.

So I wonder how things changed.. maybe all the houses being down 9th line make the main part of town 'out of mind'?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-17, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Fickle Pickle is great. Great comfort food, great service. Very authentic atmosphere.

One thing I wish we had was a good coffee shop on the Main Street Strip. A Starbucks would really help in creating a central meeting place and generating traffic on the strip.
Old 2010-03-17, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Stouffville Fish & Chips! Probably the best fish & chips I've ever had.
Old 2010-03-17, 09:47 AM
Regular User

From what I have heard Shoeless Joes was a casualty of the main st widening project and add that to the fire they had. I that in the beginning Shoeless Joes was always busy. As for Buger King well It has been closed and re opened 3 or 4 times From what I heard (not confirmed) the first closing at least was because of Heath Issues and from there I don't know.

AS for a coffee shop or place Try Basically Bagles (not exactly sure of the name) I know my parents walk down on sundays for a coffee They are beside the pub.
Old 2010-03-17, 10:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'n'P View Post
I just thought it would be a good idea to post your favourite local businesses, so that others can give it a try. It's so easy for us to drive to Markham to go out to eat, but it also doesn't bode well for our community and property values when all of Stouffville's restaurants and businesses close their doors.

So far the businesses that have closed in Stouffville are: Shoeless Joes, Burger King and now Fulton Burger is added to the list of casualties.

For my recommendations:
We enjoy Sgt Peppers on Mondays for $0.59 wing night. The wings are huge!
For weekend breakfasts, my wife enjoys Eggxperts and Fickle Pickle.

Would love to hear of some other suggestions for good food.
I also like Lion of Stouffville that we went to together K'n'P. It was regular pub fair but really yummy!

I agree that it would be nice to have a Starbucks or something on the Main St. I remember when I lived near the Danforth I used to love walking down on Sunday morning and having my latte and reading a book or stopping there with friends after walking the strip. I would like to see that on Main St.
Old 2010-03-17, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
From what I have heard Shoeless Joes was a casualty of the main st widening project and add that to the fire they had. I that in the beginning Shoeless Joes was always busy. .
I would take the Shoeless Joes closing with a grain of salt.

They always seem to open and close locations. They used to have one at Hwy 7 & 404 and that one shut down too, as well as a few other locations that seem to close within a few years of opening. My understanding, based on conversations with some restaurant people, is that the Shoeless Joes franchise system kills the owner-operators. High fees, rules and restructions, but very little in return from the corporate office (very little advertising/marketing and poor food quality) compared to other franchise restaurants.
Old 2010-03-22, 09:25 AM
Regular User

anyone knows what will be on that plaza where the NEW shoppers drugmart is located?
thats at 10th and main.
Old 2010-03-23, 07:54 AM
Regular User

dont forget Wild Wings beside Mac's.
Old 2010-03-23, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeym View Post
dont forget Wild Wings beside Mac's.
Something about a Wings place at a Gas Station doesn't work for me. Poor choice of location if you ask me.