Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-10-03, 09:52 PM
Regular User

Default Electrical Layout / Running Wires through insulated walls?

Hi Guys!

2 questions for you:

1. Can Mattamy provide us with the standard layout for where electrical outlets will go? I sent an email just now to my CC but figured I'd ask to see if anyone was able to get this from them?

2. If you have a look at my master bedroom, I'm planning to put a TV on the left wall. I don't want any wires to show. I was hoping they place an electrical outlet in the middle of the wall and then I would simply run another outlet off this outlet but place it higher so it's behind the TV - Like what they do for the fireplace. I was also hoping to put in my own conduit so I could run A/V cables through it so u wouldn't see them hanging from under the TV.

Now my concern is, I just realised that this is an exterior wall which means there will be insulation behind the drywall. Does this become an issue?

---

What I'm thinking I might do now is have them add the outlet in center of the wall (behind where the TV will go), but this still leaves me with the issue of how I will run the video cable behind the drywall.

I'm asking because I know breaking the vapour barrier can become an issue.

Mattamy | Half Moon Bay - Phase 2 | Elm 'B'
Closing Date: July 29, 2014

Last edited by danny_italia; 2013-10-03 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2013-10-03, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Do not expect an electrician to put an electrical outlet where you want it to go.
The only thing that may be on drawings is switch and light locations.
Electrical outlet locations are usually determined on site and done as per code requirements.
If you require an outlet in a specific location, that would usually be an upgrade through the builder.
If the conduit is done during construction it will not be an issue.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-10-04, 07:47 AM
Regular User

I'll echo Greg's post and say that it's to the discretion of the electrician based on code.

We had our builder add an outlet at six feet from the floor for the exact reason you speak of. We wanted a tv mounted without wires running down to the floor.

Old 2013-10-04, 08:41 AM
Regular User

I'd suggest paying for the upgrade and get it put exactly where you want. If they charge $300 to add the outlet, it's well worth it considering your the time you'll have to put in to get it installed after. Did they give you a price to do it through the builder?
Old 2013-10-04, 09:02 AM
Regular User

the other benefits of builder install is that you wont have a problem with circuit outlet count and/or the box being too small for a T intersection (3 x 14/2 wire)
Old 2013-10-04, 09:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwoodking View Post
I'd suggest paying for the upgrade and get it put exactly where you want. If they charge $300 to add the outlet, it's well worth it considering your the time you'll have to put in to get it installed after. Did they give you a price to do it through the builder?
I actually just checked the book and it's not bad at all! $104!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
If the conduit is done during construction it will not be an issue.
My other important question would be - So i'll be getting the upgrade to have an outlet centered in the middle of the wall (behind where the TV will go).

I don't want the cable line and any other wires showing (HDMI, etc...) so I was wondering:

If i make a small hole at the bottom (near baseboards) and another hole behind the TV... Can i safely run the low voltage wires such as HDMI behind the drywall but not past the vapour barrier? So the cable would be between the vapour barrier and the drywall.

Last edited by danny_italia; 2013-10-04 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2013-10-04, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_italia View Post
I actually just checked the book and it's not bad at all! $104!

My other important question would be - So i'll be getting the upgrade to have an outlet centered in the middle of the wall (behind where the TV will go).

I don't want the cable line and any other wires showing (HDMI, etc...) so I was wondering:

If i make a small hole at the bottom (near baseboards) and another hole behind the TV... Can i safely run the low voltage wires such as HDMI behind the drywall but not past the vapour barrier? So the cable would be between the vapour barrier and the drywall.
Why don't you just get the pre-wire company to put the cable outlet right beside the electrical outlet?

That's what we did....

Alternatively, you could get them to run conduit from a regular height to where the tv is mounted so that the wires run in that conduit...

Old 2013-10-04, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Why don't you just get the pre-wire company to put the cable outlet right beside the electrical outlet?
Im not quite sure I understand what you mean by this? You mean behind the TV? If that's what you mean - it's because I'll likely have some sort of Digital box on the dresser/cabinet. If I put it behind the TV I'll have nowhere to rest the digital box.

In the end this is how i'd like it setup:

Last edited by danny_italia; 2013-10-04 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2013-10-04, 09:59 AM
Regular User

I'm not sure how you'll make your own conduit and run it behind drywall.

Why not get the builder to do this ahead of time?

Old 2013-10-04, 10:02 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
I'm not sure how you'll make your own conduit and run it behind drywall.

Why not get the builder to do this ahead of time?
I think they want over $400 for something like this.

By conduit though all I was thinking of doing is what i said earlier... Make 2 small holes (which can be capped with one of those conduit faceplates) and running the HDMI cable between the drywall and vapour barrier.