Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-06-08, 12:51 AM
Regular User

Default Tankless Hot Water Heaters...Is It For Real?

Hi all,

Anyone done any research on tankless hot water heaters? We signed up for one in our upgrades, but are rethinking our decision. After seeing mostly bad reviews (which claim were due to installation) we're not quite sure what to do?

The builder claims you NEVER run out of hot water BUT the water pressure is less and we need our water pressure.

They also claim it's energy efficient because you don't require all this energy to keep the hot water tank filled and heated BUT when you open the tap, it takes 30 or more seconds to heat up and everytime you turn the tap off you have to start the same process of heating again.

Another thing is it's the size of a backpack on your wall, rather than the large adult size tubular contraption we all have now.

Any thoughts or comments on those types of heaters?

Thanks!
Old 2009-06-18, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Here's the thing with those tankless water heaters. In my situation I originally upgraded to this option but then backed out.

It cost 700$ bucks to get it over the standard high effiency tank the builder offers. Then it cost around 10-15$ more a month for rental fees then the hot water tank. ie 12 @10$=120$ a year more for rental and thats at 10 I think its more like 15$. In the end in my situation it would be cheaper to have the hot water tank

Then it has to be installed on a exterior wall in the basement, which meant I had to move a window because the vent has to be 3ft away from any window. So I would have had to framed around it and loose some basement space for one of my planned rooms.
Old 2009-06-18, 01:30 PM
Regular User

doesn't sound very efficient to me.
Old 2009-06-18, 01:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
doesn't sound very efficient to me.
Nah. It's extremely efficient, it's just not "that great a deal" if it doesn't some standard, and because of the (currently) inflated rental fees.

We don't have a choice - we have to take it - but we're still torn in terms of the rent-or-buy debate. Bah!
Old 2009-06-18, 02:20 PM
Regular User

if whatever money you save on the energy to heat the water you end up spending it in rental fees, then that defeats the whole point of it. and if you buy it for $700, how long will it take you to save $700 in energy costs? by that time, you may have to buy another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Nah. It's extremely efficient, it's just not "that great a deal" if it doesn't some standard, and because of the (currently) inflated rental fees.

We don't have a choice - we have to take it - but we're still torn in terms of the rent-or-buy debate. Bah!
Old 2009-06-18, 04:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
if whatever money you save on the energy to heat the water you end up spending it in rental fees, then that defeats the whole point of it. and if you buy it for $700, how long will it take you to save $700 in energy costs? by that time, you may have to buy another one.
That's if cost is you only concern .

For me it's not, I prefer not to waste recourses when I don't have to, that's my primary concern. In the long run you will always save money with a more energy efficient appliance, be it a stove, fridge, HWT or furnace. Thankless units have been out for decades now, they are a proven technology, they are just fairly new to the North America market so there are a lot of miss-information going around.

Mike
Old 2009-06-18, 05:20 PM
Regular User

FYI the standard power vented tank included with the home is not high efficency. the are abut 60%..

tankles is about 80%
Old 2009-06-18, 06:18 PM
Regular User

but water is an unlimited resource. it can never escape the earth's atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrobinson View Post
That's if cost is you only concern .

For me it's not, I prefer not to waste recourses when I don't have to, that's my primary concern. In the long run you will always save money with a more energy efficient appliance, be it a stove, fridge, HWT or furnace. Thankless units have been out for decades now, they are a proven technology, they are just fairly new to the North America market so there are a lot of miss-information going around.

Mike
Old 2009-06-18, 08:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Wow. Water is NOT an unlimited resource. Just because we have an abundance of it in North America (which is actually decreasing) doesn't mean its unlimited.

Check out "When the Rivers Run Dry" by Fred Pearce.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:

Water? Sorry, I was talking about the fuel it take to heat the water, the real cost of owning a HWT. The majority of water a house uses is for landscaping (which is not from HWT). Yet the HWT accounts for large portion of you energy bills. I am not concerned with water; I am concerned with energy and the resulting pollution.

Thankless units save money on energy bills not the amount of water used.

Mike

PS: You are right, water is virtually unlimited (at least there is a lot of it). However fresh water or drinking water, is not unlimited, not even close.

Last edited by klmrobinson; 2009-06-19 at 10:54 AM.