Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-11-06, 05:16 PM
Regular User

Default Garage door opener from The Door Company?

Apparently The Door Company installed our garage door and we got a note saying that if we want to keep the warranty on the door we should have them do the opener. We were looking to have someone install it anyway, so this is alright by us.

Does anyone know what they charge to install a belt-drive opener for an 8-foot double-wide door?
Old 2009-11-06, 07:12 PM
Regular User

They did mine in August and installation was $135 + $15 for the reinforcing strut + GST. This was for a single door, but I wouldn't expect the door size should make a difference.
Old 2009-11-06, 07:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Apparently The Door Company installed our garage door and we got a note saying that if we want to keep the warranty on the door we should have them do the opener. We were looking to have someone install it anyway, so this is alright by us.
I'm probably going to hire someone to install my opener also. Do they let you pick your own garage door opener?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-06, 10:07 PM
Regular User

I did my own.

Your warranty is through the builder/Tarion, not The Door Company. The onus would be on them to prove it was a faulty installation that caused a broken door. If the door spring breaks or something equally unrelated happens, then they will have to cover it.

Same with roofing companies that say your shingle warranty is void if you install eaves. This is a bogus claim.

Old 2009-11-07, 09:48 AM
Regular User

We got them to do ours, $320 installed for a 1/2 hp Chamberlain belt drive. I believe this is the same product sold at Sears and HD, although you can get them at the big stores with different features and options.

I could have done it myself, but the price was right. The sticker on the door warning of the voided warranty has more to do with making sure the door has the re-inforcing beam along the top than anything else. Without it, the opener could easily crush the top panel. I don't think any of the doors are actually installed without this beam, so the sticker is more an ad than anything.
Old 2009-11-07, 11:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john and Mo View Post
We got them to do ours, $320 installed for a 1/2 hp Chamberlain belt drive. I believe this is the same product sold at Sears and HD, although you can get them at the big stores with different features and options.

I could have done it myself, but the price was right. The sticker on the door warning of the voided warranty has more to do with making sure the door has the re-inforcing beam along the top than anything else. Without it, the opener could easily crush the top panel. I don't think any of the doors are actually installed without this beam, so the sticker is more an ad than anything.
That's pretty good! That's exactly the opener I was looking at, so $320 installed is a pretty decent price. Really great to know too that I don't have to be there and can just leave them a cheque or pay by CC. I've been taking so much time off of work for house stuff.
Old 2009-11-07, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john and Mo View Post
How long ago was this? Sears has a 1/2 belt drive opener for $299 so for an extra $20 to pay someone to install it seems all right by me.

At this point in time, a $100 ladder is not on my shopping list.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-09, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Alright, so the current cost seems to be $440 for the 1/2 HP Chamberlain belt-drive, installed and there's the $15 "ARB" that we need because it's an 8-foot door. If you want a keypad it's an extra $45.

I'm pretty sure those prices include all taxes (although I forgot to explicitly ask), as they mentioned just writing a cheque for that amount and leaving it tacked in the garage, like K&SB indicated. There's currently a 3-week waiting list, so it'll be the week of November 30th before we get it installed. Oh well!
Old 2009-11-09, 01:05 PM
Regular User

OR you get one on sale for ~$250 which includes the keypad and save the $200 install fee.. just go by their store to buy the $20 reinforcing bracket if needed (and disregard the guilt feeling they'll impose on you while you're in their store and they notice that you want to install it yourself..)

I had paid $250 for the chamberlain with battery backup, keypad and belt. I didn't not get the extension for the 8' door (wasn't aware of it) so the door doesn't open completely (you don't really notice that and I'll never park an 8' high pick up truck in there anyways..)
Old 2009-11-09, 02:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
OR you get one on sale for ~$250 which includes the keypad and save the $200 install fee.. just go by their store to buy the $20 reinforcing bracket if needed (and disregard the guilt feeling they'll impose on you while you're in their store and they notice that you want to install it yourself..)

I had paid $250 for the chamberlain with battery backup, keypad and belt. I didn't not get the extension for the 8' door (wasn't aware of it) so the door doesn't open completely (you don't really notice that and I'll never park an 8' high pick up truck in there anyways..)
True. But unless I see it come on sale, the way I see it is: $289+tax at Home Depot versus $440 + $45 from them. Difference is $158, which I end up paying in order to not have to install it myself. I've never done one before and that doesn't seem like an insanely high cost compared to some of the other times I've chosen to forgo the installations.