Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-10-17, 11:28 PM
Regular User

Default Humidity

How does everyone control the humidity in their home? What levels do you suggest I target?

Right now, I have a dehumidifier in the basement and I keep it at 50%. Given that I have a new foundation (i.e. basement is moist), I'm not sure what that translates to for the rest of the house.
Old 2011-10-18, 06:29 AM
Regular User

50 is good for now - do you have the furnace fan running on low speed? that will distribute things evenly
Old 2011-10-18, 07:27 AM
Regular User

I struggle to keep it at 50% so if you can do that, you should be good.
Buy a few small hygrometers at Canadian Tire and leave them in different areas of the home. They are cheap

Old 2011-10-18, 07:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town View Post
How does everyone control the humidity in their home?
One thing we do is put timer switches on bath with showers fans. Run them 20 minutes after shower. Dryer vented outside and joints taped. Use the stove fan when boiling things.

What is your hrv setup?
Old 2011-10-18, 08:26 AM
Regular User

I just turned off my dehumidifier on the weekend. I had it set to 50 and I measured around 40 on the main floor and about 42 on the second floor. The furnace fan is running 24/7.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-10-18, 09:23 AM
Regular User

I'm also having humidity issues with my house. It's a new construction that is almost 3 months after closing. It is always around 60-64% levels on the hygrometer. It's gotten to the point that the soil in houseplants are getting moldy. I'm assuming it's the humidity that is causing the growth of the mold.

I finally got a new dehumidifier and placed it in the basement. I set it to 50, however the humidity level is not changing, as it is still in the 60's (the humidifier has a display indicating the current level).

Any tips/advice on how I can lower the humidity level? My fan is set to auto.
Old 2011-10-18, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_dogs View Post
I'm also having humidity issues with my house. It's a new construction that is almost 3 months after closing. It is always around 60-64% levels on the hygrometer. It's gotten to the point that the soil in houseplants are getting moldy. I'm assuming it's the humidity that is causing the growth of the mold.

I finally got a new dehumidifier and placed it in the basement. I set it to 50, however the humidity level is not changing, as it is still in the 60's (the humidifier has a display indicating the current level).

I'm having a similar situation with my two month old house. My HRV is set at 20/40 cycle and the furnance fan is on continuously. The humidity reading on the main HRV contol on the wall indicates 45%-50% most of the time, which I think is pretty good. My problem is that the hygrometer that I bought from home depot shows 55%-60%! I'm unsure which one to believe.

I called the company that installed my HRV and of course, they told me the HRV reading is more accurate....
Old 2011-10-18, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_dogs View Post

Can you set you dehumidifier to a lower setting?
Old 2011-10-18, 10:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzy View Post
I'm having a similar situation with my two month old house. My HRV is set at 20/40 cycle and the furnance fan is on continuously. The humidity reading on the main HRV contol on the wall indicates 45%-50% most of the time, which I think is pretty good. My problem is that the hygrometer that I bought from home depot shows 55%-60%! I'm unsure which one to believe.

I called the company that installed my HRV and of course, they told me the HRV reading is more accurate....
Best thing to do is get different hygrometers from different stores. Then do this calibration test.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/mah...o/momo_002.cfm

I have four, two electronic ones from HD and Lowes and two manual dial ones from CT. I found the one from Lowes the most accurate and then I adjusted the manual dial ones to match the % on the Lowes hygrometer. Also, don't place the hygrometer near any windows or heating vents.
Old 2011-10-18, 08:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Can you set you dehumidifier to a lower setting?
Hi BrianT, thanks for the response.

Yes, I can set it to a lower setting. Would that make the dehumidifier run stronger (because it is trying to reach a lower humidity level)? I just find it odd that by placing the dehumidifier in the basement, I did not experience any difference and drop in humidity level (still always hovers around 60 to 63%)