Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-10-04, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_italia View Post
I think they want over $400 for something like this.

By conduit though all I was thinking of doing is what i said earlier... Make 2 small holes (which can be capped with one of those conduit faceplates) and running the HDMI cable between the drywall and vapour barrier.
I'm sure this is physically possible, but if you have to cross any studs, impossible. The drywall is going to be tight up to the stud.

You also run the risk of piercing the vapor barrier with whatever you plan to fish this wire with.

Seems like more hassle than anything.

In my honest opinion, $400 well spent. In the big picture, it's going into your mortgage anyway. $400 is not going to make much a dent in the final price.

Old 2013-10-04, 11:15 AM
Regular User

why not simply have the cable / electrical up there and forget the conduit. unless you're planning on using a cable box
Old 2013-10-04, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2 View Post
why not simply have the cable / electrical up there and forget the conduit. unless you're planning on using a cable box
The thing is I'll definitely have some sort of box whether it be a cable box for tv, movies or something... that's also why I'm running the network cable in the room as well.

Mattamy | Half Moon Bay - Phase 2 | Elm 'B'
Closing Date: July 29, 2014

Last edited by danny_italia; 2013-10-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2013-10-04, 11:38 AM
Regular User

We had a recessed plug added as well as a conduit for the cables as an upgrade. It will cost you $$ but it's well worth it imo - it's done before they do insulation (construction phase).
We were not provided an electrical schematic - good luck getting one. Greg is right when he says the electricians place the electrical outlets to satisfy (minimum) code (in our case anyway) - in other words, expect fewer, not more outlets.

Quote:
Hi Guys!

2 questions for you:

1. Can Mattamy provide us with the standard layout for where electrical outlets will go? I sent an email just now to my CC but figured I'd ask to see if anyone was able to get this from them?

2. If you have a look at my master bedroom, I'm planning to put a TV on the left wall. I don't want any wires to show. I was hoping they place an electrical outlet in the middle of the wall and then I would simply run another outlet off this outlet but place it higher so it's behind the TV - Like what they do for the fireplace. I was also hoping to put in my own conduit so I could run A/V cables through it so u wouldn't see them hanging from under the TV.

Now my concern is, I just realised that this is an exterior wall which means there will be insulation behind the drywall. Does this become an issue?

---

What I'm thinking I might do now is have them add the outlet in center of the wall (behind where the TV will go), but this still leaves me with the issue of how I will run the video cable behind the drywall.

I'm asking because I know breaking the vapour barrier can become an issue.

Old 2013-10-04, 12:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I actually just checked the book and it's not bad at all! $104!
I'm getting some electrical done in the next weeks and the company I'm dealing with quoted me $75 for an extra plug (daisy chained of another plug) on an inside wall so $104 seems reasonable.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2013-10-04, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I'm getting some electrical done in the next weeks and the company I'm dealing with quoted me $75 for an extra plug (daisy chained of another plug) on an inside wall so $104 seems reasonable.
Yup.. hoping it's also $104 for an insulated wall. Don't see why not though.

Old 2013-10-04, 02:44 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

We have our tv mounted above the fireplace & all the components are right under the tv in the basement, we didn't have a conduit installed or anything like that but we did get a power outlet installed behind the tv above the fireplace, our installer fished the wires (2 HDMI wires) from behind the tv to down the basement, so everything in family room looks real slick and clean. For the reciever we didn't get those fancy harmony remote, what our installer told us to get is the IR reciever they sell at TheSource, it's about $40 bucks, all you do is place one of the recievers anywhere in your family room & the 2nd reciever down in the basement beside your components and BAM everything works seemlessly while at the same time the cost is minimized.
Old 2013-10-04, 03:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
We have our tv mounted above the fireplace & all the components are right under the tv in the basement, we didn't have a conduit installed or anything like that but we did get a power outlet installed behind the tv above the fireplace, our installer fished the wires (2 HDMI wires) from behind the tv to down the basement, so everything in family room looks real slick and clean. For the reciever we didn't get those fancy harmony remote, what our installer told us to get is the IR reciever they sell at TheSource, it's about $40 bucks, all you do is place one of the recievers anywhere in your family room & the 2nd reciever down in the basement beside your components and BAM everything works seemlessly while at the same time the cost is minimized.
How are you running the cables to the basement with no conduit... I'm assuming the same way I'm planning to in the bedroom? Simply behind the drywall?

Old 2013-10-04, 06:55 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
How are you running the cables to the basement with no conduit... I'm assuming the same way I'm planning to in the bedroom? Simply behind the drywall?
Yup, jus behind drywall, he fished them down.
Old 2013-10-04, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2 View Post
The only reason you don't have a cable box is if you have no cable and using an antenna. All TV service providers either require a box now, or will in the very very near future. All of Cogeco in this area of Ontario converted over about 18 months ago. Rogers has slowly been fading out basic cable service around the GTA as well.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/