Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-08-31, 07:07 PM
KBMF

Question Fairwinds Kanata Mattamy

Hello.

Just wondering if anyone visiting this forum may be purchasing/have purchased a home in Kanata at the Fairwinds site. I just purchased and was hoping to get some more info on the site and mattamy. Hopefully, there is someone else googling Mattamy as much as me and will stumble on this great site. K I am also going to add that I am going to add in 25k in upgrades and am wondering if anyone has heard anything about the prices? I call and call and ask and ask and essentially until i have an appointment at the design centre (which is far away) I wont know anything. Anyone have an inside scoop? Right now I am thinking 9" ceilings and ceramics. Plus a hundred other things on my wish list but if anyone has any idea about the prices for those ill be happy (really happy) to hear it

K

Last edited by KBMF; 2006-08-31 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2006-09-01, 10:58 PM
Regular User

When my wife and I heard that Mattamy was building in Kanata, we were really interested. A new builder from southern ontario coming into Ottawa. We had heard rumors that they would come in and undercut the competition to get established here. Plus, the location was really nice - for us anyways. Its so close to everything you need in Kanata.

We were seriously thinking about buying a home with them. But after going to the opening, we decided to hold back for a while. We've been looking at other builders, and did not feel Mattamy was really offering anything special. Their prices are a little cheaper it seems, but their standard "features" are also lower too. In the end, there was no floor plan we really liked. Maybe in their next phase, they will have other floor plans to choose from (assuming we are still in the market to buy at that time).

It was a zoo that opening day. You were lucky if you got 1 minute with a sales representative. The two we talked to were really nice and polite. I was just amazed how people were buying lots so fast - some on impulse too. So fast that the price for premium lots went higher just a couple hours after opening.

I will check with my inside contact to see if I can get any info on what the upgrade costs will be... but if the design center is not open yet, it could very well be that the list is still being worked on. My guess would be they will be about the same as other builders upgrade price list... I can't see them being too much more expensive... but then again, if people are really set in living in that area, maybe they are willing to pay a higher premium?

My recommendation would be to only upgrade "structural" things. Things like making a room bigger, closing off an area, 9' ceilings, etc. Things like upgrading to hardwood, ceramic, counter top, etc can usually be done at a much lower cost by another company (or yourself if you like doing things like that). But then you have to consider the inconvenience of having that work done while living in the home (unless you can get it done before you move in).

Another note... there are a number of other builders planning to build in that area of Kanata. Phoenix homes is building int the Terry Fox / Kanata Ave / Richardson Side Road area. Minto is building north of the 417, just east of Huntmar Road. There are others...some who have not made their announcement public yet. So there are other choices coming if you want to wait.

Good luck and keep reporting how things are progressing with your new Mattamy home.

Joseph
Old 2006-09-02, 01:15 PM
KBMF

Talking

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply and the info! I have heard about phoenix and they are supposed to have more/better standards in their new homes compared to mattamy. Its weird that mattamy's prices werent lower considering they are trying to establish themselves. In Brampton, where they are well established they were offering 10k in upgrades as an incentive. In ottawa they offered 7k the first week and only 5k the second week (when we bought). Not impressed. But I guess since it was such a zoo the first week it made sense. People were buying homes like they would a pack of gum!

Anyway, we were really going back and forth on the hardwood,g etting it done by the builder or waiting, but we have now decided to go with an outside contractor (once we find a good one). If you do find out anything about the upgrade costs that would be great to know. I think you are right though that they may still be working on it. From other mattamy sites (ie hawthorne one in milton), it seems they work on it till the very last minute and like the prices of the homes, the upgrade prices also increase very quickly according to the "demand". Right now we think mostly only structural upgrades and possibly the cabinets. Although everyone suggests upgrading the carpet underpadding we are likely going to pass on that to. Only because we eventually will put hardwood upstairs as well.

Thanks again!
Old 2006-09-05, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Another nice area is Jackson Trails, just west of Fairwinds. It will be located between Maple Grove and Hazeldean, just in front of the Stittsville Main street.

I too looked at Fairwinds but was not impressed with their features. Each of their model house has 200 upgrades so you can't really see what they include. Sure, their prices are "low" and you have the "widelot" but what good is a "widelot" if you end up with 4 feet of space between each house? I'll take the 10' between houses any time...

I saw the Fairwinds sitemap and was surprised that they sold that many houses in 2-3 weeks as opposed to the Jackson Trails site (Tamarack / Tartan)... I suppose that if the prices are 20 - 40k cheaper it attracts lots of people (but you get less).
Old 2006-09-05, 04:51 PM
KBMF

Hi mart242,

I agree with the spacing of the houses and that is a huge dissapointment! But then again I would rather have more space in the back that I will use then along the sides.

I havent looked into the homes along Jackson trails but because of this whole dump issue I am almost glad I didnt. It seems many of the people living there are complaining because of the strong smell from the dump reaching them. At least it seems that way from the no dump forums. Since I found out that the fairwinds are so close to the home (after i bought) I am an avid reader of issues surrounding the dump and its expansion. The bad press may be why Jackson trails havent sold as many. Mattamy though really hasnt sold as many as it typically does either. In the GTA they go fast but then again they also seem to have more included in the actual price of the home rather than all these extra upgrades that the ottawa ones will need. But since its my first home, I had to compromise on this. Hopefully, it will be the right decision in the long run!
Old 2006-09-06, 09:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMF
I havent looked into the homes along Jackson trails but because of this whole dump issue I am almost glad I didnt. It seems many of the people living there are complaining because of the strong smell from the dump reaching them.
Ah yes. The friggin dump. I don't even know what to think about that. When I bought, the dump was supposed to close in 2009 (read a bunch of posts on the nodump forum, I've posted some info about that). At the open house / BBQ they had at jackson trails, I polled a bunch of people about that. A few of them already lived in Stittsville either near jackson trails or other area and they were not worried about the dump because the smell doesn't reach them... They say that JT will be fine. That's still no reason to have the dump closed though...

Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure that I'd buy in JT but then again, I don't know where I'd buy. I want space between houses and we were able to have a super nice lot in JT. Plus, when everyone starts bitching about the dump (people in Fairwinds too! as well as new developments north of maple grove, west of huntmar), they'll have to really do something about that dump so everything should work out in the end...

I'm glad to see that there will finally be some postings in the Ottawa subforum that I requested a few months ago!
Old 2006-09-06, 10:58 AM
Regular User

I know a number of people who live in the Stittsville area (mostly in the Deer Run and Timbermere locations). I do not recall anyone of them ever complaining about the sell of the dump. And I never notice it when I visit them. Now with the dump expansion, I did ask them. In the past, they said they could smell it a couple days in the year. But they are worried what it will be like with a bigger dump.

I agree with mart242 - with thousands of people moving into this new area, I think this dump expansion will not happen (at least not to the extent they were planning on).

Of all the sites I've seen in the Kanata/Stittsville area, Jackson Trail is the best I've seen so far. I find you get really good value for your money.
Old 2006-09-07, 09:15 AM
KBMF

Default The dump

I had not heard anything about the dump until one week after I purchased my home. Now I have been checking nodump.ca and it seems like many people are complaining about the smell from the dump (from timbermere and Jackson trails). With that being said, I have gotten alot of feedback from people who are from there and they say that in all the years they have been there they have maybe smelled the dump twice. It seems fairly split. I am concerned though that if this expansion does go through that the smell will becoming a huge problem and will effect all of us. I really dont know how far our complaints will get us though as WM legally has the right to expand. I hope that it does shut down in 2009 as planned though so that our living and the value of our homes are not negatively impacted!
Old 2006-09-07, 10:27 AM
Regular User

If no one says anything, the dump will expand. The more people bitch about the dump, the less chances it has to stay open. You can even smell it at the centrum on bad days, even village green / kanata lakes. The thing is people never though that it was the dump.
Old 2006-09-07, 11:35 AM
KBMF

I completely agree. At nodump.ca I came across a letter regarding the dump (basically expressed why the dump and its expansion is a serious concern) that can be sent to the city councillors and did so. I think alot of the members at nodump.ca are doing an amazing job at staying on top of this and getting information out regarding the dump. I really hope that anyone else who is buying at fairwinds hears about the dump and speaks out as strongly as the people of stittsville