Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-02, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahogANY View Post
You’ll need to call them yourself, unfortunately.
Thanks! hoping my lawyer will give me a checklist soon lol
Old 2019-01-02, 04:22 PM
Regular User

Well, start with the City of Ottawa 613-580-2444 for property tax and water accounts. I think there are new account fees for both. Also call Hydro One, and Enbridge, and you should be good to go for closing day.
Old 2019-01-02, 04:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahogANY View Post
Well, start with the City of Ottawa 613-580-2444 for property tax and water accounts. I think there are new account fees for both. Also call Hydro One, and Enbridge, and you should be good to go for closing day.
Thanks! how far in advance did you do it?
Old 2019-01-02, 04:57 PM
Regular User

LOL! delete this post so minto does not catch on!!! :P
I just set up our water and enbridge, two down two more to go!
Old 2019-01-02, 05:15 PM
Regular User

Also, there is a closed group on FB for our community.
Old 2019-01-02, 05:31 PM
Regular User

Is it the manotick mahogany group? I recently joined that one.
Old 2019-01-03, 11:30 AM
Regular User

hi everyone,
important question - did you find home insurance that covers you for overlay flooding? we just signed up with bel air direct, who by the way offers amazing coverage!, but they told us that our neighbourhood specifically does not qualify for their overlay flooding coverage because our area is prone to water issues and flooding.we were able to get sewer back up coverage but we were told we also do not qualify for the coverage of when too much water in the ground presses against the foundation of the house and causes damage to it... slightly concerning and very thankful minto installed a sump pump in our basement.. bel air will cover sump pump malfunction too but i think we will buy a battery back up.

I called TD and they said they dont offer overlay flood insurance at all, and said many companies dont... but i really feel we could benefit from this given all the signs i am seeing that water may become a big issue in our area. We have a huge swale (which i am now also thankful for) and our next door neighbour has a sewer grate in their backyard just bordering ours...all red flags to me...

i plan to call a few more insurance agencies to inquire about this coverage but i am not feeling hopeful.

Last edited by reens09; 2019-01-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2019-01-03, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
but i really feel we could benefit from this given all the signs i am seeing that water may become a big issue in our area. We have a huge swale (which i am now also thankful for) and our next door neighbour has a sewer grate in their backyard just bordering ours...all red flags to me...
Having a sewer grate in your neighbor's yard does not indicate that you will have water problems down the road. All new neighborhoods will have similar sewers every few yards. Simply a place for rain and melt water to drain to.
Old 2019-01-03, 12:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Having a sewer grate in your neighbor's yard does not indicate that you will have water problems down the road. All new neighborhoods will have similar sewers every few yards. Simply a place for rain and melt water to drain to.
yah but that coupled with the sump pump, a very large swale (im talking several meters downhill) spanning several backyards and what our insurance agency said about our community does. I also read in the mahogany fb group that several homes have previously experienced issues with water in their basements. (leaks, mold, etc) :S

I am hoping all these measures are just over precautions but we are fairly close to the river so perhaps our water table is higher? i would feel better with flood insurance :S
Old 2019-01-04, 11:49 AM
Regular User

I finally figured out where I packed the drone charger... here's an updated shot from a few days ago. Things are moving along!