Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-05-13, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Default Mooneys Bay on Prince of Wales

Hi,
Just wanted to start a new thread for new developments in Moffat farm. We have signed a contract with Cardel Homes to build a home for us and I would like to share ideas with others.

Thanks.
Old 2007-05-13, 12:34 PM
Regular User

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. Share away.
Old 2007-05-13, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Default How is it to have a home with no living room

We picked a model with a floor plan that does not have a living room. We chose this model since we do not use our living room in the current home so often. Now we are not sure if we made a right decision by choosing this plan. I would like to know how bad is it when you want to sell a house with no living room (we have a small den instead).
Old 2007-05-13, 06:42 PM
Regular User

I've got a bristol from tamarack in jackson trails. No living room either, just dining + great room. No dinette / breakfast area either! I've just put a big kitchen. It's much better like that IMHO.
Old 2007-05-13, 07:21 PM
Regular User

My wife's doing that with our kitchen and breakfast room; combing both of them to make her kitchen that much bigger. As for the living room it's all a matter of personal preferences, and that'll go with whomever takes a look at your house when you go to sell it in the future.

Do you have a family room? While most buyers will want a living room but if you have a family room, then it may work for you as a place to entertain people.

It also depends if you have children as well ... if you do then you'll want the space for them.

As I said each person's opinion will vary on their needs and wants. If you are happy with it that's all that matters. And selling the house in the future don't turn it into a negative that it doesn't have a living room - say it's got a great den!
Old 2007-05-14, 07:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalearm View Post
My wife's doing that with our kitchen and breakfast room; combing both of them to make her kitchen that much bigger.
I can tell you that I'd never go back to a small kitchen... and I've only been here for a month!
Old 2007-05-14, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Homes without a formal living room are becoming more common these days. There was even an article in the paper not too long ago about house trends, and one of them was no more living room.

I think you will find people who like formal living rooms, and others who do not. In my case, I rather not have one. One reason, less furniture to buy - why furnish a living room and family room? And for a living room, most time its considered a "formal" room, so you have to get better looking furniture for it too Second reason, we never use the one we have right now when entertaining. When friends and family come over, they all end up in the kitchen / family room area anyways.

The same applies for the formal dining room, breakfast area, and island breakfast bar - why have 3 places to eat? So in our new home, there is one eating area. We used the extra space to make a more open and bigger kitchen. But again, there is a split - some people like a formal dining room, some do not.

In the end, I believe not having a formal living room will have no impact on the resale of your home. Now if you were to build a home without a kitchen (because you eat out all the time), then yeah, that could have a negative impact (but then again, maybe there are lots of people who would like that idea???)
Old 2007-05-14, 12:06 PM
Regular User

We picked a model that has an open concept kitchen and great room, a separate dining room and then a smaller den area. We wanted to eliminate useless formal rooms and let's face it-everyone always migrates to the kitchen so this model was perfect for us. It doesn't have a 'living room' but a huge kitchen/great room which for us, works better than a separate formal living area. Dens are good for that purpose if needed.

I don't think this will deter people from buying your home in the future as long as there is some place for sitting or entertaining.
Old 2007-07-01, 08:23 AM
Regular User

Default Using den as dining room

I was wondering if a 10x10 den can be used as a dining room? We have a large dining room and a 10x10 den. No living room. We'll be using the den as den. But I am still worried that not having a living room can be a minus when it comes to sell the house later.
Old 2007-07-03, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
I've got a bristol from tamarack in jackson trails. No living room either, just dining + great room. No dinette / breakfast area either! I've just put a big kitchen. It's much better like that IMHO.
Nice, we almost bought that one, but instead went for the Avon 4.

I as well have a great room, dining room, but with a breakfast area. We found that our great room is really our entertaining room, acting as the living room. Living rooms are rarely used unless you entertain quite a bit, or at least we thought.

We have a TV in the great room right now but once we finish the basement the TV will go downstairs.