Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-08-01, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Question How necessary is a home inspection?

I was wondering how necessary is a home inspection for a new house - - - and if it is necessary at what point is it recommended to have one completed (at the framewalk, prior to moving in, just before the year is up). I know the optimum is all three - but if affordability requires only one inspection.

Old 2007-08-01, 09:11 AM
Regular User

I think getting your house inspected is a nice reassurance that your huge investment is built to standard and knowing that you shouldn't have to worry about things going wrong. As to when getting it done, I would say before you close the house.
Old 2007-08-01, 03:26 PM
Regular User

Depends on you and your builder. My wife is a perfectionist, so she wanted one. I personally am confortable with Tamarack and the quality they present so I didn't feel it was necessary. On our one year I will since thats really our last time to get them to fix anything that would be necessary. I think more items will pop up on the one year anyways given that the house has settled.
Old 2007-08-01, 10:06 PM
Regular User

With the amount of money that you are investing in a used or new home, why wouldn't you want to have that little extra assruances that you are making a sound investment. They usually only cost about $350-$400. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind on tens of thousands of dollars you are investing in a house.

While not all home inspectors are equal, as the government really has no regulations for them (besides city inspectors) but they most likely skilled enough or experienced enough to see problems that you might not be aware is a problem. Do a search in this forum for words like inspection or PDI and you will truly find some eye opening information.

So it's an easy question to answer ... get an inspector ... no and ifs or buts ...
Old 2007-08-01, 11:47 PM
Regular User

I concur with the other posters. I think it's a sound investment and a good decision to bring in a professional inspector, new house or not...

At the very least, you should be able to pick up some pointers and arm yourself with some good knowledge for future houses. At this point, I would like to quote my buddy's comment...we are both first time home owners and we are quite green when it comes to house building and the like: "We may not be handymen but we are not idiots"

Cheers!
Old 2007-08-02, 06:34 AM
Regular User

Like others have stressed, it's a good thing to have an inspection done, even though you might not think it's worth the money. Ours is coming up to 1yr now, and we've already met with an inspector who is charging $250, and he has assured us that even after the builder has fixed what needs done, he will come back to check to make sure it's done right.
Old 2007-08-02, 06:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_home_w_jitters View Post
I was wondering how necessary is a home inspection for a new house - - - and if it is necessary at what point is it recommended to have one completed (at the framewalk, prior to moving in, just before the year is up). I know the optimum is all three - but if affordability requires only one inspection.

New homes today can have as many as 100 different people contributing to their production when taken from digging to finish. These are just the ones who actually enter your home, not even the manufactors of cabinets, fixtures etc.. For a purchase that you could cost most people in the $200,000 + range having an experienced and knowledgable inspector go through their home with them is a sound investment, if only for peace of mind. If you're picking 1 inspection I would say the PDI. Many warranty issues will hinge on this inspection. Missing or damaged items not found here can be difficult to prove are the builder's responsibility if not noted on the PDI. After the PDI the year end would be your next bet. A thirty day inspection should be looked at as a way to report any issues that weren't addressed from the PDI or that could not be inspected due to weather, some plumbing leaks, etc..The best inspector would be one who has worked in the industry as a handyman or after sales service rep. They know Tarion guidelines and what to look for.