Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-09-13, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Default Hairline crack on basement floor

Hello folks, i saw a hairline crack on the basement floor of my house earlier tonight and I would like to know if this is normal, for new houses anyway, as a result of shrinkage/settlement

The crack is about 6 feet long, weaving its way from beneath the laundry sink to the centre of the basement, near the drain hole. It's tiny, you have to pay attention to see

I have searched previous threads on this topic and from Google and it seems like it's normal and builders won't probably fix it unless there's water leaking.

I will let the Richcraft inspector know about this when he comes in next week for the 30-day inspection
Old 2007-09-13, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Yes it's normal and to be expected.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-09-14, 12:16 PM
Regular User

I have one that can fit the width of a dime, the other is hairline. These are to be expected. My house is 6 months old now. Before I finish my basement I will patch the cracks. If water comes in through the cracks then its time to worry.
Old 2007-09-14, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Cracks in the basement floor under 6mm ( about 1/4 inch) or under are not considered warrantable. They are common and due to shrinkage.
Old 2007-09-16, 12:55 AM
Regular User

Builders may consider 1/4" normal, but no way would I...nor would any potential future house buyer. Just think if you were looking at houses to buy, and you saw a 1/4" gash running across the basement floor...I'd walk away quickly. I'd patch it up and sell quickly if that was in my basement. Hairlines... no problem. Dime-width, I'd be concerned if it wasn't stable over time but not at all otherwise.

1/4" would mean to me that the foundation or floor was poured with improper site preparation (or poorly formulated concrete) or that there was potential subsidence - I'm not saying I'm a building engineer, just that those two possiblities would be running through my mind.
Old 2011-05-08, 08:48 PM

quite common to see 1/4 inch.fill it with a good filler and use a 1 inch putty knife to smooth and push in in,don,t be stingy on it,your floor will be fine.did a thousand of em.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:10 AM
Regular User

The size amount is unfortunate, my entire basement has cracks that join up, there's about 4 of them, they all meet at one spot, but they aren't that wide across, we're just going to patch it up but keep an eye on any cracks, in case they expand
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020