Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-12-18, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Default Mattamy Energy Star 3.0

Do any Mattamy owners out there who chose the "Energy Star 3.0 Package" acually have a list of what that package includes? I was given a list during our Pre-Construction meeting but I'm now told that the list is inaccurate and incomplete. Do Mattamy Energy Star homes have R20 batt insulation in the basement down to 12" above the floor? Getting a list of where my $5000 is going is like pulling teeth. Actually, 12 hours in a dentist chair is more pleasant experience......
Old 2007-12-18, 03:03 PM
Regular User

R20 batt insulation on basement wall is pure garbage.. don't pay a penny for that, chances are you'll remove it completely when you finish your basement properly.
Old 2007-12-18, 03:28 PM
Regular User

Default mattamy Energy Star 3.0

OK Mart242, what would you do instead of the R20? They are actually insulating the basement with R12 today which is contrary to the R20 I was given in writing a couple months ago. I haven't heard back from our lawyer yet. It seems the "accurate list" I may finally get will match what is going into the house now, which means they are just making things up on the fly. I've been trying and trying and trying since June to get the details of the package in writing but it has proven to be impossible so far. All I got at the pre-conn was a partial list including the markup they charge (Don't think I was supposed to see that) Buyers beware. Get every single thing in writing because I still don't know where the $5000 is going and they are going to start with the drywall any day now.

Last edited by 4sail; 2007-12-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2007-12-18, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
R20 batt insulation on basement wall is pure garbage.. don't pay a penny for that, chances are you'll remove it completely when you finish your basement properly.
Whats wrong with it? I thought it did the job?
Old 2007-12-18, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Fiberglass batts in a basement is a recipe for molds in the long term and is a sure way to end up with a "smelly" basement (you know when you go in the basement of an older house and it "smells like a basement" ?)

The way to go according to the folks on the mikeholmesfanforum (and building sciences, and various other sources) is to put 1" rigid foam on floor + 3/4 OSB or 5/8 plywood and then put 2" rigid foam on walls, batts (if you want) and then close the walls. The rigid foam will act as a vapor barrier. The even better solution is to have the basement walls and rim joists area spray foamed.

4sail: can you post the pre-con list with markup prices?
Old 2007-12-18, 04:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdxx View Post
Whats wrong with it? I thought it did the job?
It can do the job... been in use for many years (well R12 at least).

There are better ways to insulate a basement as more research has been done in this area. The problem with the typical batt insulation in basement is mold and mildew problems that can developed.

The better solution is to build your foundation using ICF (eg cement sandwiched between rigid foam)... but its more expensive and doubt any big builder would even consider it.

Another option is to use rigid foam inside on the cement walls (instead of batt insulation). Needs to be 2" thick. Or you could use spray foam also.

In the end, its all about initial cost - and batt insulation is cheaper and therefore preferred by builders (to keep the over house cost down).

Last edited by Joseph; 2007-12-18 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I see Mart beat me to the answer...
Old 2007-12-18, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Mart242, I'm currently trying to get this Energy Star stuff resolved and I don't want to make any Mattamy enemies so I won't post the "Markup List". (Being a picky perfectionist consumer who does his research has already got their attention!) We're putting A LOT of upgrades into this home and I am learning the hard way that a tract builder is not the right way to go if you want lots of extras. Even though all these upgrades have been picked out of Mattamy's design centre catalogue, there have been NUMEROUS errors. I think that the overall build quality will be good and we will get what we want in the end but it has proven to be a huge headache so far.

Last edited by 4sail; 2007-12-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 2007-12-18, 10:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sail View Post
Even though all these upgrades have been picked out of Mattamy's design centre catalogue, there have been NUMEROUS errors. I think that the overall build quality will be good and we will get what we want in the end but it has proven to be a huge headache so far.
Welcome to the world of new homes. This isn't your 1st home I presume? Make sure to follow construction closely because your homework isn't complete after the design center part!
Old 2007-12-18, 11:14 PM
Regular User

I've been keeping a very close eye on things and have been asking lots of questions. I am the tract builder customer from hell!!
Old 2007-12-18, 11:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sail View Post
I've been keeping a very close eye on things and have been asking lots of questions. I am the tract builder customer from hell!!
And that's only because I moved in already.. so I'm not a customer anymore. The site super and "key trades" new me on a first name basis..