Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2008-02-28, 01:54 PM
Regular User

Question Home Inspection? PDI?

Just wondering about recommendations about getting a professional inspector to perform the PDI with us for our newly built home. Should we? Because its a brand new home, I assumed it wouldn't be necessary, but a friend who moved into a new home didn't have one and now wishes she did.

Opinions? Referrals?

Thanks!

Old 2008-02-28, 06:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noadcotts View Post
Just wondering about recommendations about getting a professional inspector to perform the PDI with us for our newly built home. Should we? Because its a brand new home, I assumed it wouldn't be necessary, but a friend who moved into a new home didn't have one and now wishes she did.

Opinions? Referrals?

Thanks!
Personally... I don't think it's necessary. A friend of mine bought an Arista home and their (ARISTA'S) inspector did a great job pointing things out he didn't even see. Since it's a new home, you also get a 1-yr and 2-yr inspection.

I recommend you grab a new home checklist from the internet and use it as you go through. Make sure you have a notebook to write stuff down. Definitely review your notes with the inspector's notes at the end too! You want to make sure they have everything written down.

Last edited by TheGous; 2008-02-29 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2008-02-29, 05:05 PM
Regular User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGous View Post
Personally... I don't think it's necessary. A friend of mine bought an Arista home and their inspector did a great job pointing things out he didn't even see...... Make sure you have a notebook to write stuff down. Definitely review your notes with the inspector's notes at the end too! You want to make sure they have everything written down.
So you don't think its necessary, but your friend hired an inspector and was glad they did?
Sorry, not sure what you mean!!

Old 2008-02-29, 08:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noadcotts View Post
So you don't think its necessary, but your friend hired an inspector and was glad they did?
Sorry, not sure what you mean!!
It was Arista's inspector that took them through the house. Hired by Arista, not my friend.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 2008-03-03, 09:31 PM
Regular User

I would highly recommend using a PDI inspector. I'm pretty well in the know about home construction and would say use a inspector. For a nominal fee you will have a professional inspect your new home and I ensure you they will find a issue that you were unaware of. I hired a building engineer to perform my 1 year inspection and was very shocked at the issues that he found and I was totally unaware of. He kept saying did you not put these to paper on your PDI inspection. Sadly I was not aware of these and missed recording them on my intial inspection. Hence the importance of a professional for your first inspection for the largest purchase of your life. You spend a ton of cash purchasing your homeand ultimatly pour more in on upgrades, why not spend a little more and get more piece of mind on your investment. Would you go up on your roof or into the attic during your builder guided PDI? In short just get a pdi inspector hired by you, working for you not the builder.
Old 2008-03-04, 07:56 AM
Regular User

Agreed. I wouldnt take possesion without a real Inspection.
Old 2008-03-10, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up Good Points

Thank you for your responses! You've made some good points... it is our biggest investment, and it is such a miniscule cost compared to the cost of the house.
There are packages available for inspections, for the PCI, 30-day and 1-year... might look into those...
Thanks!

Old 2008-03-10, 03:32 PM
Regular User

Take a look at this article:
How well-built is your home? Lots of people hire inspectors when buying resale properties, but experts say the process can be just as important for new construction.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/309881
Old 2008-03-10, 11:25 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Great article, very informative. Thanks!

Old 2008-04-02, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Keep in mind that the inspector conducting your PDI from the builder has his company's best interest at heart, of course. Any issues recorded on your PDI will cost the builder money. The best inspector you can have with you is someone equally, or better, aquianted with Tarion guideline than the builder's rep.