Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2008-05-30, 04:04 PM
Regular User

Default house sold

Well, our house is sold...which means that we will be able to relax all summer, since we ended up getting a long closing date, which is great!
We still have to go for another Decor Centre appointment on June 3rd, but I am beginning to wonder if they know what they are doing down there.

When we bought the house we were told that we would have one appointment and it would last 3-4 hours to pick out everything that we wanted. So of course we poured over the price list that was supplied to us, but if anyone has had the pleasure of looking this thing over...it is very confusing to try to find what you want, what the code is for your choice...some of the things were not priced or were so ridiculously priced you thought "that can't be right!!!" (WRONG!!) So with all good intentions of being informed and prepared, it was nowhere near that when we went since we had so many open-ended questions.
Well, we spent the next four hours choosing things, but by the end, we were very tired and I felt a little pressured into choosing something at the end (which happened to be my master ensuite) that I really was not happy about...She said that she would email us the updated prices (that were not available to her) and she was also going to take some photos of our colour choices...we would be able to sign off, and things would be good......We came home thinking that that was basically it...whatever we had decided we would have to live with.

When we did get home, we noticed that on the upgrade sheet the girl had printed out for us before we left, had some major things missing. (our faucets for the ensuite, and outdoor potlights to name a couple) So, the next day we phoned and tried to get a message to the girl to either get another appointment, or to to drop in for a half hour to finish this, so we could get on with it!!!....She had told us that they needed this information to be able to start digging the foundation..so of course, not wanting to have any delays, we were anxious to try to talk with her. Calls were not returned, emails not answered....we were starting to get pissed off. Finally the little girl at the front desk said that she would look after us....to come in, and she would deal with it. (her name is Laura, and she is the sweetheart that sits at the front when you go in) If it was not for her, I don't know when we would have gotten an appointment. Seems she is the only one there that knows what customer service is about. I know that they are busy, but you would think that you at least deserve a return call to acknowlege you and your problem. (i worked in customer service...i know how it works!!)
so...we went in...and Laura was amazing....she helped with the colours, she was patient with us...I was totally happy and felt good about things then. But of course, she is not the decor person, so we still had to wait for the other girl to look things over and when she finally got a minute, came to the front desk and we explained that we did not want delays, she told us that as long as they had the electrical part of it, and we signed off, things would not be delayed. Our official dig day was May 15....
So, once again she tells us that she will email us the electrical part tomorrow or the next day, we could sign, and she would then send it off and nothing would be delayed.

Well, of course, we waited and waited..called, again with no return calls....and we finally went in to see Alex at the Brookfield office, he put in a call, and the email came the next day, with the upgrade sheet, to which a note was attached that we are coming in on june 2 anyway, it won't make any difference if we wait to sign off then..."they will not have started your house by then"....PLUS+....there were still things missing, and deletions made without our consent!!!!...once again, we emailed back to let her know these things, and we have not heard from her since.....GRRRRRRRR.....why do they tell you things that are not true!!???....don't feed me lines just to keep me happy at the moment!!!. I gotta tell you, this has not been the best experience so far!!
Monday is June 2....I am angry now

Last edited by catmaran100; 2008-05-30 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2008-06-04, 09:23 AM

Congratulations on selling your house! That can always be a stressful situation.

As to your experience with the upgrade centre, we haven't experienced the problems you've encountered. Except maybe for not returning phone calls promptly part. I think are rep averaged about a week to return my messages (I think this is the reason we were not able to get our basement windows upgraded, by the time she submitted the paper work our foundation was going up). Other than that she was fine, she made sure we reviewed the upgrade list before anything was signed (although there are so many items it is easy to see if something slipped through). It probably helped that this was our second experience doing this sort of thing. Our first time the decor centre was actually in the sales office and we were given limited time and only one appointment. Needless to say after we left we were wondering if we had made the right choices given the time constraints.

We actually went to the sales office last week and Alex said that the builder (Brookfield) only needs 20 weeks to finish a house, so you might still be okay for your closing.

What model did you choose? We are going into a Maple A.

so long for now, hope your second appointment went better.
Old 2008-06-04, 02:46 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the congrats!...and yes, our next appointment went much better, thankfully!

We also chose a bungalow, but opted for the Rockette B with the loft. (I think we are the only ones with this model in the entire subdivision!) Now they are not even building the bungalows. I LOVED the Maple A with the dormer window feature. Great looking house, and we liked the layout, but the house beside us was a Maple, and even though we could choose another elevation, we decided to go with the Rockette. (if you look up the floor plans, the Rockette is really similar to the Maple) Great layout in both models though. Its very hard to choose a home when there is no model to go through, so the similarities are what led us to ours.

At what stage is your house at now?...have they started to brick yet?...This is probably the biggest change when you can see what your house really looks like with the brick colour that was chosen. It also gives the house some reality to the size of it!

We have signed off on everything, so every day we plan to drive by the site hoping that they are digging...lol...and Alex keeps assuring us that we are still on time for our closing. We hope so, since we did get a long close on our house (october) which takes care of our other concern about finding some place to stay in the interim. So, if we are delayed only a couple of weeks, its easy to find friends or family to annoy for that short period of time! Life is good again!!...We can now relax and enjoy our summer.
Old 2008-06-09, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Well, I just read my last post and realized that I confused your Maple house with the Apple model...thinking that you are having a bungalow built. I am so sorry!....I am blaming stress..lol
On another note....they finally started to dig our foundation!!!....YEAH!!! We went over and walked around our hole in the ground. Its very exciting!!