Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2009-04-30, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Default tankless hot water heaters

Has anyone installed a tankless hot water system?
What has your experience been? Rental or purchase? Have you seen a gas savings and can you estimate it?

Thanks
Bart
Old 2009-04-30, 10:27 AM
Regular User

Default Water Heater

I was thinking of going with one but then I saw a segment on Daily Planet that estimated the payback period to be 20 years. They also claim that there are some problems if you run the hot water slowly. Apparently it needs a large flow to start the heating process. This is all from the show, I have no first hand experience with them.
Old 2009-04-30, 12:44 PM
Regular User

I've worked out the ROI to 4-6 years based solely on the fact that I will no longer be renting a unit. My estimated gas savings were 50$ a year (negligable). I think at this point it makes sense with all the rebates currently available but am worried about usability issues like you mention.

Bart
Old 2009-04-30, 07:00 PM
Regular User

We have a tankless water heater and we love it. Our issue was not running out of hot water when multiple people were showering. I hated bathing the kids and then filling my bathtub only to find cold water. The tankless takes about 30 seconds to heat and provides hot water on demand.
Old 2009-04-30, 09:32 PM
Regular User

thanks volga, do you rent yours or did you buy it?
30 seconds? that seems like a lot, is that similar to what you saw with the tank?
Old 2009-04-30, 11:55 PM
Regular User

We rent our tank for 30 dollars a month. We decided we would try it for a year and if we like it, purchase our own. I exaggerated the time it takes to warm up, husband says 10 seconds. I love it. If in doubt, try it out for a few months.
Old 2009-05-12, 01:24 PM
Regular User

Default What companies rent tankless water heaters?

I called Direct Energy who I rent my big-tank water heater from and they told me they don't offer tankless for rent.

What company did you rent yours from, if you don't mind telling me? And did you have to pay a fee up front for installation?

I want a tankless just to free up some space in my basement. It will make my utility room easier to plan and build.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:17 PM
Regular User

Apparently, my husband says we paid $800 dollars to install ours. Was not happy to hear $800 dollars, but the hot water has made me happy. The company we rent from is Reliance. I think we will be purchasing ours.
Old 2009-05-13, 09:04 AM
Regular User

mrtankless.ca - free install and about 25 a month for rental for those interested.
Old 2009-05-13, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieandbart View Post
... do you rent yours or did you buy it?
?
Reliance rents tankless water heaters for $30 per month. Reliance installs for free but you have to pay for any extra materials needed.

If you go with another company you will have to break your contract with Reliance at ($200 or more plus removal of old tank). If you buy the Tankless from Enwise they will remove the old Reliance tank for you.

Installation takes almost 5 to 6 hrs, so be prepared to have no water for a while. The tankless unit is vented to the outside just like your dryer or furnace. The minimum clearance between the ground and the vent needs to be met otherwise they will have to relocate the water heater.

This delayed my install because Reliance did their survey before Fernbrook finished the lot grading. When Reliance came back to install the unit the landscapers had raised the ground height so it wouldn't pass code. To install the tankless unit in the same location as the old tank, I would need a "Snorkel Kit" for the water heater which would be an extra $300.