Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2009-11-06, 01:52 PM
Regular User

Just curious....what made you decide to get the building permit? From the stats I've heard, it is not common for people to actually get the permit for finishing a basement (even though you are supposed to). I think it's a great idea to protect yourself from a contractor who may try to rip you off...but otherwise, it's an expense, sometimes a pain in the butt, and it increases the assessment of your house, thereby increasing your taxes. So just wondering what made you decide to go through the process?

Thanks.
Old 2009-11-06, 02:51 PM
Regular User

It can be a problem when you sell, some buyers may ask to see the permit and inspection info. Also it helps if you ever have an insurance claim. As well, there is always the possibility of someone calling the city to say that you don't have a permit, that is a big hassle.

Getting a permit is very easy if you do your homework and the cost is minimal. $85 for the zoning certificate and $185 for the permit.

Since I will be spending well over 10k, spending a few hundred on a permit is a non issue.

It's just not worth the risk, if the city finds out they will make you pull down the drywall to inspect everything. And at that point they will nit pick everything.

The tax increase is minimal. The benefits will be reaped when ever we sell.

Last edited by burlington1971; 2009-11-06 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2009-11-06, 07:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington1971 View Post
It can be a problem when you sell, some buyers may ask to see the permit and inspection info. Also it helps if you ever have an insurance claim. As well, there is always the possibility of someone calling the city to say that you don't have a permit, that is a big hassle.

Getting a permit is very easy if you do your homework and the cost is minimal. $85 for the zoning certificate and $185 for the permit.

Since I will be spending well over 10k, spending a few hundred on a permit is a non issue.

It's just not worth the risk, if the city finds out they will make you pull down the drywall to inspect everything. And at that point they will nit pick everything.

The tax increase is minimal. The benefits will be reaped when ever we sell.

You are absolutely right Burlington 1971
Old 2009-11-09, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Default Get a permit!

I just received my permit (to finish my basement) ago and must agree with Burlington1971 on everything said. It also ensure that you do everything right and don't cut corners (whether DIY or contractor). A lot of homeowners that I've known to finish their basements do a lot of things that would not pass, nor be safe.

Steve
Old 2009-11-09, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Yes, and you if you cut corners it will only hurt your re-sale value. The Burlington Library has copies of the Ontario Building code in the reference section.

Old 2009-11-10, 01:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington1971 View Post
FYI, the permit application process has been very simple and the city has been very helpful.

The city is always helpful when their hand is in your pocket. I have yet to ask, or have been asked for a permit for any work on a house that I sold. Permits are permissions to get more money out of you.
Old 2009-11-10, 01:20 PM
Regular User

They are usually only needed when someone other than the homeowner is doing the work.
Old 2009-11-10, 01:32 PM
Regular User

From my understanding, permits are needed for specific project, like finishing a basement. It doesn't matter who does the work (homeowner or contractor), a permit is still required. Whether or not you choose to get one is a different story
Old 2009-11-10, 02:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
The city is always helpful when their hand is in your pocket. I have yet to ask, or have been asked for a permit for any work on a house that I sold. Permits are permissions to get more money out of you.
And the Ontario Building code is an excuse to print large heavy books. (Sarcasm)

Seriously, Permits are the only tool that municipalities have to control building projects while upholding the Ontario Building code.

I was merely illustrating that it has been easy, as some feel it is a complicated process.

Old 2009-11-10, 05:10 PM
Regular User

Default Permits

It also allows them to re-evaluate your home to raise your taxes!