Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2015-02-03, 10:47 PM
Regular User

Buy your foam at rona - they have one that is $25 for 200 sqft.

Im putting in a delta ms floor right now. It smells like dish soap for a couple days.

I put rona foam under it too which eliminates that cliicking.

How much is the black stuff?

Last edited by good2know; 2015-02-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2015-02-05, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Buy your foam at rona - they have one that is $25 for 200 sqft.

Im putting in a delta ms floor right now. It smells like dish soap for a couple days.

I put rona foam under it too which eliminates that cliicking.
That's three layers of vapour barrier, though. The idea of the landscape fabric below a hard plastic dimpled membrane is that it isn't a vapour barrier, so it's not going to trap moisture between layers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
How much is the black stuff?
DryBarrier? About the same as the regular Dricore. They sell it in 8 tile packs for $55 at Investment Hardware in Vaughan.
Old 2015-02-05, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Ill see if i can find some here next below grade project.

In the now closed Holmes on Homes disussion forum, the busiest thread, and the one with the most diversity of approaches, was the Finishing Basements thread.

I would not want fabric between the concrete and membrane. I dont tape the seams until the top layer though.

I think the multiple vb problem kicks when there isfor example, wood and fiberglass between two sealed layers.
Old 2015-02-05, 01:29 PM
Regular User

That wood compound the problem, yes.

(see what I did there?)
Old 2015-02-05, 06:48 PM
Regular User

Yes thats good
Old 2015-02-06, 12:18 AM
Regular User

I'm starting to like the idea of using DryBarrier. Less expensive than Dricore R+ and 3/8" instead of 1". I don't know how to manage the transition to a tiled washroom though. I'm guessing I can't lay tile on this?
Old 2015-02-06, 09:08 AM
Regular User

No, because it's a floating system. I'm using Ditra for the washroom floor, then installing a Kerdi shower.

You could, I'm told, put OSB on top of the DryBarrier, tapcon it down and then tile over that, but now you have a transition problem the other way.

I'm expecting that carpet and underpad on DryBarrier should be very close to the thickness of tile over Ditra. The transition should be minimal.

I'm not saying DryBarrier is for everything, but I've laid over 300 tiles, and I like it a lot for speed and ease of installation, single vapour barrier, and no laminate foam required or wood products used.

What I did is cut the tiles right at the outside of my framing (set the fence on the table saw and rip however many you need), taped the joints and tapcon'ed the corners of the room, and installed my bottom plate on top of it, using the back edge as my guide. Worked out great.
Old 2015-02-07, 02:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I'm starting to like the idea of using DryBarrier. Less expensive than Dricore R+ and 3/8" instead of 1". I don't know how to manage the transition to a tiled washroom though. I'm guessing I can't lay tile on this?
ditra+tile will be very close to drybarrier+vinyl - a door strip for 'same level' surfaces should work for you
Old 2015-02-19, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Glad I happened on this thread. I'm kinda in the same boat as Mark & Lynda. I'm in the process of trying to plan my basement and am getting mired in all the subfloor debates. I really don't like how much added height systems like Barricade or DRIcore add, especially if I want 6'5" needed where I have a beam and vent ducts. Even with DMX 1-step I'd still need to add on plywood were I want carpet or find some thicker laminate flooring.

If I'm reading DryBarrier's site correctly, you *don't* need a surface like OSB or plywood on top?
Old 2015-02-21, 03:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMaple View Post
Glad I happened on this thread. I'm kinda in the same boat as Mark & Lynda. I'm in the process of trying to plan my basement and am getting mired in all the subfloor debates. I really don't like how much added height systems like Barricade or DRIcore add, especially if I want 6'5" needed where I have a beam and vent ducts. Even with DMX 1-step I'd still need to add on plywood were I want carpet or find some thicker laminate flooring.

If I'm reading DryBarrier's site correctly, you *don't* need a surface like OSB or plywood on top?
Correct. With carpet, you need to tapcon the tack strips, or use powder-actuated fasteners to fasten through the DryBarrier into the concrete. But you don't need osb.

We've only got about 6'8" to the underside of the bulkheads as well, so I know what you mean. I've even lifted some ducts to save a half inch here and there. My hat channel is about 1/8" off the ductwork in some spots. Ceiling height is a precious commodity unless you pay an extra $20k to the builder for 9' basement walls, which works out to $1600 per inch of height.