Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2018-09-10, 04:25 PM

Default Foundation membrane seal broken by Fence post dig

Hi,

I am having a fence being installed on my property today I noticed that in the hole closer to the foundation the black sealing membrane seem to have been broken by the contractors at the very bottom of the hole, I guess they did dig too close to the foundation.

Is this bad? Should I be looking at getting them to fix it? What should I do ?

Thanks!
Old 2018-09-10, 06:07 PM
Regular User

The dimpled membrane protects and allows water to pass between it and the waterproofing. It's not the big deal. If they broke that, they probably also scraped off the waterproofing.

Yes, they need to inspect and fix. Problem is, they aren't the right people to do that.

Why are they putting a post so close to the home in the first place? Should never drill next to a foundation wall. This is what happens.
Old 2018-09-11, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Ugly scenario and I hope you don't have a fight on your hands but BartBandy is spot on.
Old 2018-09-11, 06:29 PM
Regular User

Oh, I need to look at the whole that is next to my foundation as well. The distance between the two houses is so small that there seems to be no way to avoid digging too close to the foundation
This is scary....
By the way, how did you locate the broken black membrane, it looked all dark to me....I guess I need to use a flashlight, also I never looked at it closely, just noticed that there was a hole....

Last edited by OttawaG; 2018-09-11 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added a line
Old 2018-09-12, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Attach the fence to the house.

Is the hole next to the basement, or the garage? If garage, not a big deal on the waterproofing, because that wall doesn't need to be waterproofed if the other side is backfilled as well.

Still, what's down there next to any foundation wall is weeping tile. If they damaged the weeping tile, that could mean even bigger problems.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2018-09-12 at 11:52 AM.