Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2010-07-09, 08:28 PM

Hey OscarKat,
Thanks so much for your info! That is awesome that you got the Maple as well! Just a couple of questions- The mantels- did you go with the Da Vinci design? Is there an upgrade to keep the opening from the office to the family room? We visited the Decor centre a couple of weeks ago- it seems that most of your upgrades are similar to the ones we are thinking about. The glass shower is a must! I think that looks fantastic! Did you get the upgraded tub? I'm in the process of trying to convince my husband to get that! What level of upgrade did you get for your hardwood floors....? Did you get the choose the colour of your brick? The colour of your doors/stone etc.?? One more question- Did you get any of the built ins? (Family room/Living room/Office)...They look so great! I'm wondering how much they will cost....Please, Please spill on anything you would like about the Maple...Did you get Elevation2? It is super exciting isn't it? Again thanks again for your posts!! =)
Old 2010-07-10, 09:30 AM

Homies -

I've got to be as quick as I can here, the little guy is napping but never for long, lol.

I can't remember the name of the design on the mantle, but it's wood with a white marble insert. We were originally going to go with the ones in the model, but because we want marble in the kitchen eventually we thought that would go better in the long run.

We got a semi-upgraded tub, the exact one that's in the model. It basically turns it into a "two-person" tub, but without the jets (had them at my old home and never turned them on). DEFINITELY get the upgraded faucet for the tub though that includes the hand shower. It makes cleaning the tub SO much easier, and if you have kids it'll make it a breeze to wash their hair!

I think the hardwood was level three...it wasn't the highest but the one below that. We wanted a dark stain and liked the one there and the one at the highest grade. We just felt that the extra cost wasn't worth the 1/4" difference in width.

Head on up to the sales office when you get a chance. On the second floor is a wall with all the brick / stone / paint options. You have to select a board that has your brick, stone, paint, and shingle colours on it. The city mandates that the same colour can't be within 3 houses of each other, or directly across the street. The downside to this is that if the colour you love is already set for a house near yours, you don't have much choice; it does keep the streets looking nice though.

Now, just my opinion...but RUN from getting those built-ins!!!! I think we asked about them, but it was an INSANE price (like 15k or 20k). Absolutely ridiculous. If you guys are at all handy you can probably do it yourself for SO much less, and if now, I would think that it has to be cheaper to pay someone outside of the building. You may even be able to buy generic sized cabinets from Home Depot or Ikea and do it yourself that way. With the mantle that we selected, they had to shrink our inlets in the family room by a couple inches or I would go and measure and let you know if they were standard sizes or not. We're lucky because my husband's uncle is a carpenter, and both my mom and uncle love building furniture (weird family trait I guess, I just like designing it, lol). Really think about this though, they are so, SO overpriced.

It is an upgrade to have the opening from the office to the living room, and you have two options. You can have it as just an opening, or you can have french doors there.

We also got elevation B and are SO happy with it! And yeah, it is ridiculously exciting! We started off in a condo in the city but hated it from day one and we have absolutely no regrets from moving up here!

Have you gotten pricing for they upgrades yet? I'm pretty sure that I still have an excel sheet saved somewhere with all the stuff we were thinking of getting if that would help you. If you want just PM me your email and I'll send it off to you.

One suggestion I have is to get the 200 amp service, it'll make your life easier down the road if you finish the basement or anything.

Things that I wish we did: Look and the layout of the switches for lights for the kitchen/breakfest/family rooms. We HATE the locations of all the switches but we never thought to move them ahead of time. Our kitchen light switch is in the dining room by the window (arugh), and the family room switch is by the walk-out. We wish that all the switches were by the breakfast area switch when you first walk in. Also, make sure you have cable / phone where you want it.

BIGGEST SUGGESTION EVER: Have the bridge built from the upstairs hall across to the upstairs family room. It's the best thing we did.

Gotta run, the little guy is up from his nap!
Old 2010-07-10, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw737 View Post
Hello all,

I was looking for a forum exactly like this the whole time my house was being built and never found it. Now that I have been in my house for just over two months (after waiting a year from purchasing it), I finally found this forum today. Wish I had this tool while my house was being built, however I still am excited to join today.

It's great to see everyone enjoying their experiences with GGH, which I have as well. I'll just throw my two cents in on a couple of the questions raised.

As for the plant close to the site, I have not heard or smelled anything either. GG ensured that it would not be an issue which it hasn't been. It is nice that they created a bit of a barrier to relieve a bit of the eye sore. I grew up in Newmarket and can remember way back when you could see that factory from very far away.

We used a lot of upgrades in the kitchen and ensuite bathroom. We also did the glass shower and looks amazing! Ours was about the same as what 'daytripscanada' said with the $2500.

It's very exciting to see all that is going on in terms of commercial development around the area. On that note, does anyone know what is being built right now at the corner in front of Wild Wing??? I have searched everywhere for a "coming soon" sign, but am still left guessing. I was not aware of the Esso station going in across the street from the Petro either, that's pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I'll be coming back to keep on top of all the going on here.
I'll ask my husband about what's being built there and see if he knows anything, he's a project manager for commercial construction and often has a heads up on that stuff (and never thinks to let me know).
Old 2010-07-10, 10:55 AM

Wow...a wealth of information! Thank you so much!
Old 2010-08-28, 11:05 PM

Hi, everyone. I just bought the Finch model from great gulf homes. I am still a bit concerned about the plant next to the site. I did some research and it's PVC plant. any potential risk or harm? I guess not, it's more about the resale value as some people might have negative perception about it. any thoughts?
Old 2010-09-07, 03:39 PM

Default Monarch

Hi

New here, just purchased the Monarch Semi and are super excited. Does any one have this already and have suggestions on what upgrades to do and not to do? Any feedback would be great can't wait to move in a year!
Old 2010-09-07, 05:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEH View Post
Hi

New here, just purchased the Monarch Semi and are super excited. Does any one have this already and have suggestions on what upgrades to do and not to do? Any feedback would be great can't wait to move in a year!
Congradulations! We will be closing in May 2011 and also can't wait.
Old 2010-09-08, 04:23 PM
Regular User

congrats IDEH. I have a semi too, the goldtail model and I love it.
Old 2010-09-16, 05:15 PM
Regular User

Default Summerlyn Village Bradford

Hi everyone,

New here! Just bought into the Elan1 in Summerlyn Village with a closing date of March 2012. Very excited and scared! Looks like we're proceeding with everything. We'll be on Meadowhawk Trail...anyone there or will be there? How do you like the area? Anything we should be aware of, any advice? Thanks!!
Old 2010-09-30, 11:36 AM

Default Phone and TV

Hey,
We just bought a house in Summerlyn and we are super excited.
I just wanted to know if any of you guys know what companies are providing Phone, TV and internet services..?
Cheers..!