Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-10-18, 03:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawabuyer View Post
These homes sqf include the basement
A bit misleading isn't it?
Old 2018-10-18, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
A bit misleading isn't it?
I think most places that have a finished basement include it in the square footage.
Old 2018-10-18, 04:03 PM
Regular User

The floorplans look really shallow, all things considered. I wonder how deep the yards are? Don't see any dimensions on the site map.
Old 2018-10-18, 04:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I think most places that have a finished basement include it in the square footage.
There is a disclaimer normally.
Old 2018-10-19, 11:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
That is the normal practice for townhomes, but not singles.

HNHomes offers a finished rec room for singles, but they do not include it in the overall sq of the house. Same goes for Urbandale; in many communities they offer a finished Rec Room as standard, but they do not include it in the overall sq calculation.

I find it very deceptive that Caivan includes the basement rec room into the overall sq calculation of the house. The finished basement rec room technically counts towards the 'total living area' but not sq.

https://www.century21.ca/Blog/Real_Estate_Q_A_s
Q: Does a basement count in the square footage of a house?

The short answer - it depends.

Whether a basement is included in the square footage of a house depends on the region where the listing is and a number of other factors.

In Ontario, only the space that is above ground is included in the square footage of a house. Even if you have an extra 1000 square feet of living space in a finished basement is not included in the measurement of the size of your house. However, of you have a finished basement, this can be included in the "Total Living Area". In addition, attics are generally not counted either in the square footage of a home (an attic is considered “unlivable” space).

You can often tell by looking at the listing carefully to see if it has been included or not. Ask a Realtor to explain any part of a listing you are not sure about.

https://www.mpac.ca/PropertyTypes/LivingArea
MPAC measures the exterior of a building to determine the total area or square footage of the building. The building area does not include the basement area, decks, porches or garages. In circumstances where a room or rooms are open to the second floor, such as in the case of a cathedral or vaulted ceiling, the area of the open space is included with the second floor area.

The building size is divided into separate floor areas (i.e., first, second or upper floor). The upper floor area is the total of the third floor area and upward and uses exterior measurements.

https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/wh...-are-you-sure/
In Canada there is no standard for what’s included when measuring a home. In some cases, the square footage is calculated based on the length and width of a home as measured by its outside walls. Sometimes it’s calculated by adding up the size of each room in the home to find the total living space (whether you omit bathrooms and hallways can change market to market). Just about the only thing most everyone agrees on is that basement (or sub-grade) living space should not be included. As a result, this has created a patchwork of inaccurate and often misrepresented home sizes across the country

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-10-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2018-10-19, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
That is the normal practice for townhomes, but not singles.

HNHomes offers a finished rec room for singles, but they do not include it in the overall sq of the house. Same goes for Urbandale; in many communities they offer a finished Rec Room as standard, but they do not include it in the overall sq calculation.

I find it very deceptive that Caivan includes the basement rec room into the overall sq calculation of the house. The finished basement rec room technically counts towards the 'total living area' but not sq.

https://www.century21.ca/Blog/Real_Estate_Q_A_s
Q: Does a basement count in the square footage of a house?

The short answer - it depends.

Whether a basement is included in the square footage of a house depends on the region where the listing is and a number of other factors.

In Ontario, only the space that is above ground is included in the square footage of a house. Even if you have an extra 1000 square feet of living space in a finished basement is not included in the measurement of the size of your house. However, of you have a finished basement, this can be included in the "Total Living Area". In addition, attics are generally not counted either in the square footage of a home (an attic is considered “unlivable” space).

You can often tell by looking at the listing carefully to see if it has been included or not. Ask a Realtor to explain any part of a listing you are not sure about.

https://www.mpac.ca/PropertyTypes/LivingArea
MPAC measures the exterior of a building to determine the total area or square footage of the building. The building area does not include the basement area, decks, porches or garages. In circumstances where a room or rooms are open to the second floor, such as in the case of a cathedral or vaulted ceiling, the area of the open space is included with the second floor area.

The building size is divided into separate floor areas (i.e., first, second or upper floor). The upper floor area is the total of the third floor area and upward and uses exterior measurements.

https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/wh...-are-you-sure/
In Canada there is no standard for what’s included when measuring a home. In some cases, the square footage is calculated based on the length and width of a home as measured by its outside walls. Sometimes it’s calculated by adding up the size of each room in the home to find the total living space (whether you omit bathrooms and hallways can change market to market). Just about the only thing most everyone agrees on is that basement (or sub-grade) living space should not be included. As a result, this has created a patchwork of inaccurate and often misrepresented home sizes across the country
So I checked - you're correct. We're buying an urbandale (finished basement) and it doesn't include the basement in square footage. Interesting. Thanks for that info.
Old 2018-10-19, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Anyone going to Caivan grand opening tomorrow? Wondering if there is the same lineup effects like Minto.
Old 2018-10-19, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
Anyone going to Caivan grand opening tomorrow? Wondering if there is the same lineup effects like Minto.
Won't be there but exciting to get more homes built and another player in the space - great news for existing homes to continue to climb in price. Barrhaven is just exploding and it's great for those who got in early!
Old 2018-10-19, 09:44 PM
Regular User

caivan has model homes in richmond. they are nice. a few builders are starting to include finished rec rooms in the basement but it says on most of plans that this is bonus. i called one or two and indeed that area was NOT included in the sq footgage. i think i asked caivan too and i cant remember what they said but i think i got the impression it was included. i am not sure though.
Old 2018-10-20, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
We passed by their office last night (Friday) around 6pm and there were about 4-5 families in chairs next to the doors.

Caivan had tents set up with picnic tables underneath and I think I saw a food truck parked in the lot so they seem to be prepping for a party.