Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-09-12, 01:32 PM
Regular User

Default Fairwinds kids going to Jean Paul II?

Any kids in Fairwinds attending/will be attending Jean Paul II? I have talked to so many people and everybody is going to Stittsville Public or Holy Redeemer. We plan on sending our daughter to Jean Paul next year for JK for that extra bit of french and hoping to set up some play dates if anybody has children in the same age group for that school.

I know she will easily make friends once she starts, but hopefully it will help make the transition a bit easier, as she will not be seeing any of her current friends at school.
Old 2008-09-12, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Have you checked with the school (Jean Paul II) if you can send your child there? (I'm just assuming Jean Paul II is not part of the school boundaries for Fairwinds... I do not live in Fairwinds)
Old 2008-09-12, 03:20 PM
Regular User

There are a couple of Jean Paul schools, the other is a high school in the East end. I am talking about the elementary school on Abbott. According to the map on their website we are within the boundary. The french catholic school board has strict language requirements, and Stittsville is not known for the french population. Hence my challenge finding other kids in the area.
Old 2008-09-12, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Default Jean-Paul II school

Hi,

Fairwinds is part of Jean-Paul II territory. This school isfully french and part of the french catholic school board. You child may attend if one parent has been educated in French and/or speak french. Both my children will be attending in September 2009 (grade 2 and grade 5). Hope this helps!!
260 Tempest, Lot 104

Original Closing Date: Oct 17, 2008
Revised Closing Date: Feb 25, 2009
Re-revised Closing Date: Feb 13, 2009
Old 2008-09-13, 12:52 AM
Regular User

My son will be starting JK next year too (he'll be 3 this December). We haven't figured out yet where he'll be going, but we know we want french immersion from the start. Is Jean Paul II the nearest french immersion school? I went to Katimavik, and it's rated so high I was kind of hoping he might end up there now that Castlefrank isn't french immersion anymore. Either way, we'd definitely be up for some playdates
Original closing: October 11, 2008
Revised closing: February 19, 2009
Re-revised closing: February 6, 2009
Old 2008-09-13, 10:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar View Post
Any kids in Fairwinds attending/will be attending Jean Paul II? I have talked to so many people and everybody is going to Stittsville Public or Holy Redeemer. We plan on sending our daughter to Jean Paul next year for JK for that extra bit of french and hoping to set up some play dates if anybody has children in the same age group for that school.

I know she will easily make friends once she starts, but hopefully it will help make the transition a bit easier, as she will not be seeing any of her current friends at school.
I was going to send my son there in September '09 but with the delay in Phase 5, I don't think the school will allow me to send him there. I will be contacting them this week and I hope to God that they let him attend the school. Our delays have really messed this up! I really don't want to send him to another school for JK and SK then have him move to Jean Paul II in grade 1.

My son will be 4 in Feb. and my youngest will be 2 in May. Looks like they will both be in school buy the time we move into our house...and that's if this mess get's sorted out!

Nice to hear their will be other kids from the community attending. Anyone know of home daycare in the area?
Phase 1 - Lot #276 - Riverbreeze Street
Sandfield Elevation C
Closing Date: August 27th 2009
Old 2008-09-15, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Default To Sherin

Hi, Shannon and Erin

Jean Paul II is a French school - it offers more French than French Immersion, which is why we want to send our child there. Like Tempest104 stated, there are strict guidlines to qualify for Jean Paul, luckily I married into a French family. Stittsville Public has a French Immersion course, however for the extra French at Jean Paul we thought it worth it. Stittsville PS is a lot larger though (huge), except only goes to grade 5 at which point they need to change schools again for 6-8. The other choice whithin our boundary is Holy Redeamer (near Castlefrank), this is the English Catholic school and they also offer French.

Would love to get our kids together once you move in.

I went to Katimavik as well, I don't suppose you are Shannon P and Erin B are you?

Last edited by vstar; 2008-09-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 2008-09-15, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Default To moreirn

Sorry to hear about the delays, I have seen numerous threads on this topic. Good luck to you in getting your kids in before you move.

There are not many children going to Jean Paul, glad to hear of a couple planning on it. There are a few home daycares in the community, searching that on the forum should lead you to a couple.

You can also sign up to get into the Andrew Fleck daycare, it is a reasonable price. Andrew Fleck is attached to the Stittsville PS but they are only a couple of minutes from Jean Paul and except children for all schools.
Old 2008-09-15, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar View Post
Hi, Shannon and Erin

Jean Paul II is a French school - it offers more French than French Immersion, which is why we want to send our child there. Like Tempest104 stated, there are strict guidlines to qualify for Jean Paul, luckily I married into a French family. Stittsville Public has a French Immersion course, however for the extra French at Jean Paul we thought it worth it. Stittsville PS is a lot larger though (huge), except only goes to grade 5 at which point they need to change schools again for 6-8. The other choice whithin our boundary is Holy Redeamer (near Castlefrank), this is the English Catholic school and they also offer French.

Would love to get our kids together once you move in.

I went to Katimavik as well, I don't suppose you are Shannon P and Erin B are you?
I PM'd you.
Original closing: October 11, 2008
Revised closing: February 19, 2009
Re-revised closing: February 6, 2009
Old 2008-09-16, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Default Public EFI in Fairwinds.

Hi,

If you're looking for early French immersion at a public school, we're within the boundaries of John Young E.S. Now, we'll be over in Soho West, but the map that the board sent us, shows the boundaries including the majority of Fairwinds. Here's the map:

http://obscurity.dyndns.org/JohnYoungJK-6EFI.pdf

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at the map again, maybe it's not including the singles in Fairwinds.

Last edited by everythingsgonegreen; 2008-09-16 at 09:19 AM.