Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-04-05, 11:03 PM

Question Minto sales person at Chapman Mills

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a new home at Chapman Mills from Minto. I wonder how are the sales person there? Are they willing to negotiate terms with you? Are they helpful and informable during the buying process like telling you what you need to look at inside your purchase agreement rather than hiding them from you. Is there anyone in particular "better" than others? I am really appreciate for any info here!
Old 2010-04-05, 11:36 PM
Regular User

I would highly recommend DC. I see that she is listed in Chapman Mills.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-04-06, 12:31 AM
Regular User

You may try, but don't expect they would bargain on price or upgrades. Minto has a "policy" not to negotiate on terms, and in a seller's market they are likely sticking to the policy. Minto's salespersons share commissions so they are generally not pushy. On the down side, they are also not willing to go the extra mile to get your business.
Old 2010-04-06, 11:08 AM
Regular User

I've found the Minto staff, both sales and design centre, very helpful. I live +5 hours away from my new build so have been leaning very heavily on email communications. My questions are always responded to quickly and graciously. My lawyer has reviewed all documents so far and there's no reason to believe that the staff have been anything but totally up front with me - no dodgy fine print. As far as wheeling and dealing with them over the purchase and upgrade prices, it never crossed my mind to attempt it. I've always thought that when dealing with most builders, the price is the price.
Old 2010-04-06, 11:59 AM

Thanks guys... First time buyer, tons of questions >_< ! I will talk to the sales rep there tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 2010-04-06, 03:01 PM
Regular User

I bought with Minto in April 2003. Things have probably changed, but from what I found back then, compared to what I know now, is that you should ask questions, go back more than once, and do your research. We didn't do any of these things.. our home turned out fine, we loved it, but it could have been a better experience had we known more.

The largest issue was that Minto wasn't very forthcoming with extra information such as if/when we could do structural changes (they considered changing a light switch to Decora-style as structural?!).

On the plus side Minto was rock solid with closing dates and after-sales care. The house was completely finished when we moved in and nothing looked rushed. We also found a major issue (their fault) 5 years after closing and called them and they repaired the problem without any hassle at all.

Spend the extra $300 and hire an independent inspector. Regardless of builder, they all make mistakes. Don't let this be a painful lesson to learn.

Last edited by Enarra; 2010-04-06 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2010-04-06, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by red111 View Post
Thanks guys... First time buyer, tons of questions >_< ! I will talk to the sales rep there tomorrow and see how it goes.
I PM'd you. I have bought 3 houses from Minto and have always been pleased. They were always the "best for the buck" for handy people who don't mind doing some of their own upgrades. Also, there current homesites have alot going for them in terms of being walking distance from all lot's of amenities & schools.
Old 2010-04-06, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Today is my closing day. Signed papers this morning and picked up my keys this afternoon.

I had my PDI last week and was very happy with what I saw, or I guess didn't see. Really minor finishing stuff like nail holes needing to be filled and sanded, a bit of painting that needed to be touched up. My townhouse is actually in much better condition on closing than my condo was. I'm very pleased. They were actually ahead of schedule and had all the flooring in for the trim inspection 5 weeks before closing.

I bought a townhouse so there wasn't much that could be done re: structural changes. I signed the agreement of purchase and sale after that deadline anyway. Re: decora switches, these are standard now. In fact, there is a lot that is standard now that wasn't just a few years ago when a friend bought through Minto.

I dealt with AP at the sales office in Chapman Mills. She was very professional and was able to answer all my questions. There was a specific clause in the agreement of purchase and sale she was obligated to point out. Any questions I had she was able to answer.

You can't negotiate with Minto like some other builders but I have to say the design centre was pretty painless. Their system is set up so that the designer clicks on a drop down box and the options come up with all the pricing, including taxes, so there are no surprises. Of course, you can't prevent human error, but that can happen to anyone.

I have to add, though, that I'm not happy that they cut down on the selection options. I know that will impact future buyers who aren't choosing the hot and trendy colours. I know that if I had purchased later I would have been stumped as to what to choose because I don't go with the trends. I've had my colour scheme picked out for years.

I have to second what ketsana said about Minto developments being near amenities. One of the reasons I chose the location I did was because it was within walking distance of certain things. I'm moving from downtown and am used to walking practically everywhere. In my new neighbourhood I'll still be able to walk for groceries, banking, coffee, the pharmacy, and restaurants. When the development is completed up to Greenbank I'll be able to walk to the other major shopping area. If you're driving through the area you'll be able to pick me out because I'll be the one walking with the little shopping cart.
House Blog: http://myhouseorsomethinglikeit.wordpress.com