Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-10-13, 09:12 AM
Regular User

Default Trying to decide - Minto vs. Holitzner

We're in a bit of a pickle now. Last night we noticed that Minto has a few desirable lots left in their Chapman Mills Community - or at least, desirable for us.

The lots are exactly what we wanted, but the house is not. It's close to future schools so our child could walk, not bus. Near many parks, integrated into the neighbourhood and close to our friends. The downside is the house - we don't really care for it much. It's just basic, has a single car garage and a traditional lot size.

The Holitzner house is the one we want. It's a perfect layout, larger garage, larger lot, but not integrated into the surrounding neighbourhood so much, not walking distance to schools and not as close to our friends.

Do we pick the house or the land? Tough call. Have no idea what to do at this point.

From an outside perspective, do you tend to think that the core of somewhere like Chapman Mills is more saleable than somewhere like Fraser Fields? There appears to be a very high level of pride in ownership over at Fraser Fields, which does make it look like a very lovely spot.

Hard question, I know. We all have different priorities and sadly for me I want both.
Old 2011-10-13, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Personaly I would try to get a bit of both. I don't think I would ever settle for a house I didn't like because of the lot or vise versa. I know its hard to get the best of everything but if you can I would wait until you can find something that satisfies a bit of both.
Old 2011-10-13, 09:53 AM
Regular User

when in doubt it's always location over house. You can change and modify the house over the years but you can't change your lot location. After having said that, you'll be living in the burbs either way, so you'll still have to drive everywhere anyway. I would buy Holitzner over Minto in a heart beat, speaking strickly of the house quality and build. Good luck.
Old 2011-10-13, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Have you checked which school your child would attend in each area. Is there a lot of over crowding, what is the size of the school, etc. I am not sure if you plan to stay in the house long, but have you also considered what high school the child would attend in each area.
Fraser Fields is very close to Strandherd, I would imagine some of the homes would have a lot of road noise. But it is close to Clarke Park which is really nice.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:02 AM
Regular User

I'd go for the house. Barrhaven is building up quickly and that area is set to become very popular. Plus you're close to the shopping, too, and near older Barrhaven which is nice.

There are tons of schools in Barrhaven and they technically would be close enough to walk to most of the high schools. Grade school is another thing, but the bussing wouldn't be too far.

All in all, it's still the same suburb, so I'd 100% choose the house. If it meant moving to a whole different area then I would have to think pretty hard about it. I'd probably still choose the house layout though.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2011-10-13, 10:35 AM
Regular User

I guess it depends on where you work /plan to work too.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:30 AM
Regular User

I would try to go for both. I think it's do-able. We are able to get the community and the model we like in both the current and the new house.

You can always buy a new "used" house in a good community if you wish. People upgrade to bigger places all the time and houses 3 to 8 years old are always in great shape and probably 30->50K cheaper in comparison to similar new house model.

Havenlea and Chapman Mill are both great communities in Barrhaven with many walking-distance schools.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:53 PM
Regular User

Thanks so much!

We really do love the lot and the house that Holitzner has to offer and the fact that it is close to old Barrhaven, which is settled.

The high school would be Longfields I believe as it's the only OCDSB secondary school in all of Barrhaven. We're currently a stone's throw from that school so it would mean a huge difference (bus vs. walking) but our little one is not even in school yet at all so it's hard to say if we will still be in the next house at that time. Public school will be a concern and I have looked. Busing would be the option or driving - not walking as it would be now but we do want to buy a new house so it's inevitable. It would also be an older school vs. a larger, new school - which hey, this might be a perk!

Minto will have closer, new schools but they aren't built yet. They will be someday soon I hope but when? Who knows!

Strandherd will one day become four lanes I presume, but we wouldn't be right beside it, thankfully. Very torn here. I'm going to give Minto a shot and see the models again, think about what I can do but there are just so many factors pulling towards the other.

At the end of the day, much of the year is cold, wet or unfavourable for walking to the parks/friends/stores so we'll be driving anyway. If we're a few feet further from our friends, we'll manage by listening to another chorus in the car on the radio - because that's really all it amounts to. It's not that far!
Old 2011-10-13, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Check on the OCDSB site or contact them. Older Barrhaven has a separate Middle school and HS (Cedarview and St. John McCrae I believe).
Old 2011-10-13, 02:31 PM
Regular User

John McCrae is connected to Walter Baker and is a public school. Before Mother Teresa, all the High School's in Barrhaven were public. Only recently has St. Joseph's been built, which is the second Catholic Post Secondary HS.

Longfields is very new though, you're right. It's right behind me right now. I would suspect that both HS's would be about equal walking distance for a teenager. I know when I was in high school, you had to be more than 2km from the school to be able to get a bus pass.
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Last edited by homeshoppin; 2011-10-13 at 03:21 PM.