Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-11-07, 06:24 PM
Regular User

Default Hardwood in the kitchen

Hi all!

Trying to decide if we should go with hardwood in the kitchen. We have always had tile but love the uniform look of hardwood throughout the main floor. We have purchased the Mattamy Parkside model. The hardwood would be oak.

Our main concerns are how hardwood wears in the kitchen. We have 3 young children and think the spills, dropped items, etc., will cause the floor to show signs of wear quickly.

If you have hardwood in your kitchen, do you like it or hate it? Why or why not?

TIA!
Old 2014-11-07, 06:35 PM
Regular User

We have the Highwood with hardwood in the kitchen and we love it. We like the uniform look and love that hardwood is much more forgiving on the knees and back. We will never have a hard surface like tile again in a kitchen.

We installed the 6" engineered oak hardwood. It has proven to be extremely durable and stable. I would caution against solid hardwood in general as it will shrink and swell with the changing seasons.

We have a mat in front of the stove to catch most of the grease splatters. We have dropped a couple of items and only once did the floor ding. We simply used a permanent marker to cover it. A much easier repair than replacing a cracked tile. And remember with small children, glass that is dropped on tile floors tends to completely shatter whereas on hardwood it may not break or will more than likely break into larger pieces.

Also, no grout to try and keep clean.
Old 2014-11-07, 06:40 PM
Regular User

We also had hardwood in our previous Mattamy single and loved it. There were no wear patterns and spills and such are cleaned just like anywhere else in the house with hardwood. It's easier on the feet standing then ceramic tile, the consistency is nice throughout and it was a bit different than most other homes with hardwood on the main level but ceramic in the kitchen...mix it up!
Old 2014-11-07, 07:39 PM
Regular User

I think you could check your current kitchen. If you often make "mess" on the kitchen floor and need clean it, it is better to go with ceramic, or at least engineering hardwood. Otherwise, hardwood is fine. But personally I don't feel difference the effect of hardwood and tile to my feet and back.
Old 2014-11-07, 07:44 PM
Regular User

We have it in our house and love it. Frankly we've had more spills in the dining room and just as many things dropped in the rest of the main floor compared to the kitchen...

Old 2014-11-07, 10:45 PM
Regular User

I have hardwood in the kitchen and have 2 young boys. No issue with spills. I just clean right after make sure it's dry.

I have more wears from toys
Old 2014-11-08, 09:16 AM
Regular User

We have hardwood in our kitchen and there are 8 of us in our house! Our floors are spiced brown oak and I LOVE it! Even when we have dropped something, it is so easy to touch up oak floors. We have a couple of the Minwax floor markers on hand and a bit of Minwax "putty" type stuff for bigger dings...you'd never know we've dropped so many things! lol

In our previous home, we had chocolate toned maple floors....I would never have maple floors again with so many people (esp kids) in the house because the floors always needed to be cleaned...esp if you have slight OCD... :-)

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2014-11-08, 09:27 AM
Regular User

We have engineered oak in the kitchen. We are careful and clean up quickly and no stains or marks. We would go with hardwood in the kitchen again.

Old 2014-11-08, 10:39 AM
Regular User

Have had vinyl, tile, and now hardwood in current home. I vote for hardwood.

Old 2014-11-09, 01:53 AM
Regular User

It looks like I am the only person prefer tiles for kitchen. :-)