Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-11-08, 04:42 PM
Regular User

Default OT: Where to fill nitrogen for tires in Barrhaven/Nepean?

I just put on my winter set and realize the pressure is low for all 4 tires but they have green caps so I understand they need nitrogen and not air?

I went to Canadian Tire on Greenbank and was told I would have to leave the car there until Wednesday as they are fully booked! I did a quick Google Search and found TireTechPlus will do nitrogen and I have left a voice mail for the owner to call me back.

Just wondering if you guys know any other spot around here that I can go and how much should I expect? These are just regular winter tires (17") for a compact SUV.

Thanks!
Old 2014-11-08, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Costco does nitrogen but you usually have to be there hours before the store opens for winter tire services like this.

You could ask your dealership if they do it. You should at least be able to make an appointment.

Last edited by London2Ottawa; 2014-11-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2014-11-08, 05:13 PM
Regular User

Just FYI that the tires don't need nitrogen, a green cap just means that is what was originally put in them when they were first installed.

Some places charge $10-$20 per tire which I feel is completely outrageous. Air will hold just fine and although nitrogen won't fluctuate as much as air when the tires warm up or cool down, unless you're ok with the cost I could pass, personally.

Oh, and try active green and ross for nitrogen fills...there are many locations in Ottawa and I don't believe you need an appointment - good luck!
Old 2014-11-08, 05:13 PM
Regular User

you can add regular air. also in costco, you can do it yourself, they just give you the hose.
Old 2014-11-08, 06:12 PM
Regular User

"Regular Air" for $200 Please.
Old 2014-11-08, 06:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Nimble View Post
"Regular Air" for $200 Please.
Hahaha, noooiccee!
Old 2014-11-09, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Just FYI that the tires don't need nitrogen, a green cap just means that is what was originally put in them when they were first installed.

Some places charge $10-$20 per tire which I feel is completely outrageous. Air will hold just fine and although nitrogen won't fluctuate as much as air when the tires warm up or cool down, unless you're ok with the cost I could pass, personally.

Oh, and try active green and ross for nitrogen fills...there are many locations in Ottawa and I don't believe you need an appointment - good luck!
Yea for that price you can just get a cheap compressor and fill as many tires as you want whenever you want.
Old 2014-11-09, 09:30 AM
Regular User

Thanks guys, I did some more reading and it seems to be OK to fill these nitrogen-filled tires with regular air so I will do just that.

TireTechPlus will do it for $6/tire...just a FYI
Old 2014-11-09, 04:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and H View Post
Thanks guys, I did some more reading and it seems to be OK to fill these nitrogen-filled tires with regular air so I will do just that.

TireTechPlus will do it for $6/tire...just a FYI
Remember too that 'air' is 78% nitrogen anyway
Old 2014-11-10, 12:13 AM
Regular User

The only thing those little green caps are good for is letting the mechanic know that the driver is likely to be an easy sale. The rationale behind nitrogen is that the molecules are larger and less prone to leakage and less sensitive to hot-cold expansion. It's pure BS. The biggest difference between Air and N is billings and the chance to sell more services while you're in the service garage.

Although, if you're really a fan of N in your tires, I have some swampland in Florida. It's in an up and coming development, and you'd be buying in while it's still on the ground floor...