Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-03-13, 07:58 AM
Regular User

Default Eavestroughing

1. It is recommended to wait a certain period of time before installing eavestroughing on a new build? We took possession in Dec 2014 and for some people have told us to wait a full year, while some of our neighbors have already installed eavestroughing
2. Do you have any recommendations for the Ottawa area and what can we expect in terms of cost?
Old 2015-03-13, 10:09 AM
Regular User

1-Well.....This is one of those things where the builder says that if there are any warranty items to do with your roof/soffit/flashing etc, and you have modified it (screwing/nailing eaves in place), then they can refuse the warranty work. Personally, I've never seen this happen. We waited the year anyway, but some don't. It's really up to you.

2- I used Maize. I was very happy with their customer service and sales person. A few of us in Blackstone had bad experiences with Precision, so we didn't end up going with them.

I am told, that they all get their material and hardware from the same place, so the prices should be similar. We had quotes from Modern, Xtreme, and Maize for our house, and they were all within a $100 or so. Precision came in $900 more or something (I can't remember exactly), then when they heard a couple of us were going with other companies, they offered to undercut them. So I chose Maize, because they have a very good rep, and they were honest from the beginning with us.

I have no idea what the cost would be. It all depends on your home/roof configuration.

Definitely get quotes from multiple companies.

Old 2015-03-13, 02:16 PM
Regular User

We stopped using Maize because they did not honour the warranty. Two damaged / bent sections that they wouldn fix, and leaks behind the back of the trough they
Couldn't fix.

This is one cutthroat business and companies will take a loss on a few to get visibilityin a new neighbourhood.
Old 2015-03-13, 02:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
We stopped using Maize because they did not honour the warranty. Two damaged / bent sections that they wouldn fix, and leaks behind the back of the trough they
Couldn't fix.

This is one cutthroat business and companies will take a loss on a few to get visibilityin a new neighbourhood.
That's surprising. I guess it just goes to show, that similar to home builders, even the good companies can have poor service sometimes.

Why wouldn't they fix the bent sections?

Old 2015-03-13, 02:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansMom View Post
1. It is recommended to wait a certain period of time before installing eavestroughing on a new build? We took possession in Dec 2014
Is your grading done and your sod all laid?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-03-13, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Go to the home shows, all companies are there and pricing is better too.

no bs on group buys etc..... seem to recall it was 10% off or so.....
Old 2015-03-13, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Best advice is multiple quotes and then make a round of calls for price matching .... Just like appliances, they all will do iit. Ask for some local addresses to see their work then go with the one that feels right.

hey it must be spring if trough dicussion active

BSB2: a call, yes will come, dont come circle ... Just never happened before the house was sold
Old 2015-03-16, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Best advice is multiple quotes and then make a round of calls for price matching .... Just like appliances, they all will do iit. Ask for some local addresses to see their work then go with the one that feels right.
This. I did exactly that and it came down to selection in the end. My partner liked a particular "shape" of the troughs that the other company couldn't offer.

With that said, we didn't wait long. Probably 4 months. We went with Modern Eavestroughing and I would recommend them. The costs will depend on your house

Last edited by k&j; 2015-03-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2015-03-16, 12:01 PM
Regular User

Very similar experience to some that have already commented. We had a few companies come by (Blackstone) and once we were ready to buy we called all of them for quotes. Modern, Xtreme and Maize gave us quotes, Modern & Maize followed up with us but Xtreme never did. Maize was about $450 cheaper than the other 2 so we went with them. Some of them push the different style available but to me it's all the same, I don't see a big difference in eaves shape from 20ft below. The day of the installation Maize said they needed to add an extra downspout which would be at no charge since it was their mistake. Installation was quick and easy and beside a leak here and there this winter they are fine. They said someone would be by soon to patch up the little leaks. When I informed the other company I was not going with them they quickly said they would beat any price by $50, makes you wonder why they didn't just give their best price from the get go but you can't blame them for trying to make more money.

Definitely call around and get some quotes, our house is about 2,400sq/ft, 63 ft long and if I recall it was around $980ish +tx. They get very busy in the spring/summer so I would suggest calling now when they are fighting for business to get the best quote.

Hope that helps!
Old 2015-03-16, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Very similar experience to some that have already commented. We had a few companies come by (Blackstone) and once we were ready to buy we called all of them for quotes. Modern, Xtreme and Maize gave us quotes, Modern & Maize followed up with us but Xtreme never did. Maize was about $450 cheaper than the other 2 so we went with them. Some of them push the different style available but to me it's all the same, I don't see a big difference in eaves shape from 20ft below. The day of the installation Maize said they needed to add an extra downspout which would be at no charge since it was their mistake. Installation was quick and easy and beside a leak here and there this winter they are fine. They said someone would be by soon to patch up the little leaks. When I informed the other company I was not going with them they quickly said they would beat any price by $50, makes you wonder why they didn't just give their best price from the get go but you can't blame them for trying to make more money.

Definitely call around and get some quotes, our house is about 2,400sq/ft, 63 ft long and if I recall it was around $980ish +tx. They get very busy in the spring/summer so I would suggest calling now when they are fighting for business to get the best quote.

Hope that helps!
This basically sums up all the info anyone would need.

Maize was great for us as well. The installers brought me around the house to make sure everything looked okay, and didn't install anything until they verified it was what I wanted. Everyone was very professional and the final product was great.