Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-09-30, 08:36 AM
Regular User

that is what i am referring too...

ITs not just a black and white swap.. it may cost you more than buying out the builder provided rental.... IF you end up considering the same model from 3rd party seller.

Regardless calling the rental provider the sooner the better i would assume..

Each rental company will deal with this request differently
Old 2017-09-30, 12:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by immysiddy View Post
Have a look at Mattamy's latest Schedule 'Z'. Do you think they've worded it such that a new home buyer could follow OP's advice to not be bound by a legal contract with the 3rd party company?
Here is the answer I got from our lawyer (who deals with this on a regular basis) about Mattamy's agreement circa 2013:
"Unfortunately the hot water tank rental forms part of the agreement of purchase and sale, therefore you are legally bound by this contract and will need to abide by the rental contract in the agreement."
Old 2017-09-30, 08:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva86 View Post
Yep, but Iím referring to taking out the builder supplied gas tankless with a lowes gas tank. Just trying to see how soon after closing is best to do this. Is there any diff between doing it a few months down the line? Obviously Iíd end up paying more on the rental but would that be the only drawback?
The main drawback I would see is the heated conversation(s) you'll need to have with the rental company. Cricket Energy will do everything in their power to make you believe you are responsible for the rental terms on their unit.

Cricket didn't start billing us until the third month after we moved in (it will be on your Enbridge bill) so I would recommend getting it done within that time frame. And do what others have mentioned on here....call Enbridge and make sure you do not allow third-party companies to bill you through them. Because when Cricket starts threatening you about being in violation of your rental agreement, you don't want them to be able to bill you anyways through Enbridge!
Old 2017-11-01, 12:30 PM
Regular User

I am a year into my new house and have been billed by Enbridge on behalf of Cricket for the water heater rental. I haven't signed the forms sent by Cricket and they keep leaving me voice mails advising that I sign and send in the forms to have the warranty effective. Should I be signing these forms? Has anyone else signed the forms and sent them in?
Old 2017-11-01, 10:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
The main drawback I would see is the heated conversation(s) you'll need to have with the rental company. Cricket Energy will do everything in their power to make you believe you are responsible for the rental terms on their unit.

Cricket didn't start billing us until the third month after we moved in (it will be on your Enbridge bill) so I would recommend getting it done within that time frame. And do what others have mentioned on here....call Enbridge and make sure you do not allow third-party companies to bill you through them. Because when Cricket starts threatening you about being in violation of your rental agreement, you don't want them to be able to bill you anyways through Enbridge!
I took possession of a new home this year with a Cricket HWT. I called Enbridge the same day I took possession, had them come remove the Cricket tank and place in the garage and install their tank.

I called Cricket and told them to come pick it up. Took a few calls but eventually they did. Have never been billed by them. Maybe it was my last call that finally worked, stating if they didn't come pick up asap the tank would be on the curb on garbage day.
Old 2017-11-02, 11:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I took possession of a new home this year with a Cricket HWT. I called Enbridge the same day I took possession, had them come remove the Cricket tank and place in the garage and install their tank.

I called Cricket and told them to come pick it up. Took a few calls but eventually they did. Have never been billed by them. Maybe it was my last call that finally worked, stating if they didn't come pick up asap the tank would be on the curb on garbage day.
You bought a tank from Enbridge that day?
Old 2017-11-03, 08:11 AM
Regular User

I would not mind getting rid of the tank. They are so cheap at HD. Who wants Cricket warranty. If something went wrong with the tank, just replace it. Better than paying $25 + tax per month for the next 10+ years. These builders really form a cartel to squeeze home owners out of every dollar they can.
Old 2017-11-04, 12:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva86 View Post
You bought a tank from Enbridge that day?
I rented a tank from Enbridge. They came in a few days after I had possession.
Old 2017-11-24, 11:08 PM
Regular User

FYI
Enbridge does not rent water heaters.... Enbridge did at one time like 20 years ago.
Old 2017-11-26, 07:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
FYI
Enbridge does not rent water heaters.... Enbridge did at one time like 20 years ago.
Meant Enercare.