Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-05-18, 06:44 AM
Regular User

Default Range hood - didn't expect this

My home is just having the roof sheathing done today, and I had an itch bugging me about my appliance shopping. We have to get an upgraded range hood because we are looking at "pro-style" gas ranges.... not professional ranges, but professional-style (which amuses me). I just had this feeling that I had better call my builder about it, and I was right to do it. The standard range hood they put in is a non-outside-ventilated charcoal filter item - no outside ventilation possible. It would not have been a simple fix since the range goes against a smallish internal wall (across the kitchen from the exterior wall). Therefore if I had waited until the gyproc was up etc. (or after move-in) it would have been a major dog-and-pony show. Some builders may do exterior rangehood ventilation as standard, but I would seriously suggest verifying it, and having written in as a standard feature on your purchase contract if it isn't already. <...assuming you need it - i.e. gas>
Old 2007-05-18, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Wow. I'm surprised that this wasn't offered as standard by your builder (which looks like a great builder otherwise).

If you want to go with a gas range, check out the bluestar, it's got excellent reviews everywyere. 22k BTU burners that can simmer as well. That's what I would have bought but I went with an induction cooktop instead (I HIGHLY recommend induction, the miele 36" is awesome)
Old 2007-05-18, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Wow. I'm surprised that this wasn't offered as standard by your builder (which looks like a great builder otherwise).

If you want to go with a gas range, check out the bluestar, it's got excellent reviews everywyere. 22k BTU burners that can simmer as well. That's what I would have bought but I went with an induction cooktop instead (I HIGHLY recommend induction, the miele 36" is awesome)
my bud got that miele, and can't wait to install it (he's doing a complete gut of most of his house). I'm going to look up that bluestar.
Old 2007-05-18, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikejon View Post
my bud got that miele, and can't wait to install it (he's doing a complete gut of most of his house).
his name = fitzski?
Old 2007-05-18, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Induction sounds cool!

Are there issues if you're hovering over the stove and wearing a metal ring or wristwatch?
Old 2007-05-18, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
his name = fitzski?
duuuuuuuude. you gotta start using the same username everywhere....so I can recognize you...
Old 2007-05-18, 09:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikejon View Post
duuuuuuuude. you gotta start using the same username everywhere....so I can recognize you...
I'm not him. I just happened to exchange quite a few emails with him before we bought appliances. He was on the nodump forum and some the gardenweb appliance forum.
Old 2007-05-18, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Are there issues if you're hovering over the stove and wearing a metal ring or wristwatch?
No, there are no issues. You would need to be in contact with the surface that is "on" - and most (if not all) induction cooktop do not turn on unless a certain percentage of the surface is convered (and covered with a surface that a magnet would stick too - so putting your hand down on the cooktop "element" with a ring in one finger will not cause the element to turn "on")

Do a few searches, and you'll find lots of good info about induction (both the bad and the good - just like all different types of cooktops). I'm sold on this technology, and its the one and only thing we are spending extra on our new home so we can get it (beside spending extra on the structural portion of the home). My wife is also looking forward to getting one of these. I'd like to get the Miele one, but if money is too tight at the end of construction phase, we'll get the Kenmore one instead.
Old 2007-05-18, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Who is your Builder?
Old 2007-05-18, 10:01 AM
Regular User

What are the negatives to induction? Beside not accepting any type of pans... (ie: they need to be "magnetic" but you can get these anywhere if you test them in stores), I haven't found any other negative points.

By the way, take a look at the miele promo, you get a set of knives and pans. That kit is worth 800$ or so in stores.. And whatever you end up with, be sure to have the electrician put a 50A circuit.