Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-12-18, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Default New Development in Kanata (Monarch, Phoenix, Tartan and Valecraft)

Four builders are constructing homes in an area in Kanata called SohoWest. Of the four builders (Monarch, Phoenix, Tartan and Valecraft) I have read many negative opinions on the forum concerning Phoenix and Valecraft. After looking up companies on the better bussiness bureau the results are quite similar between builders:

Monarch-2 complaints in last 36 months
Phoenix-1 complaint in last 36 months
Tartan-3 complaints in last 36 months
Valecraft-1 complaint in last 36 months

I understand it is hard to compare the number of complaints since some build more homes than others but considering the number of complaints are minimal for each builder it suggests most people are happy with their builder.

I was just wondering how much consideration do people put in the BBB in selecting a builder? Or if they disagree with results (ie: Phoenix and Valecraft only having 1 complaint in last 36 months)
Old 2007-12-18, 11:22 PM
Regular User

BBB is garbage and doesn't tell much. Go knock on some doors or find a recent buyer for all the gory details about a builder.
Old 2007-12-18, 11:57 PM
Regular User

Or read all about it here...
Old 2007-12-19, 09:20 AM
Regular User

This site has been great for information but it seems as though the majority of users are mattamy home owners. I guess if you can't trust the BBB next best thing is to talk directly to previous home buyers - Thanks.
Old 2007-12-19, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohowest View Post
This site has been great for information but it seems as though the majority of users are mattamy home owners.
Hopefully more users from other builders will join too -- there's no reason for Mattamy buyers to be a majority other than, apparently, those Googling for Mattamy find this link quickly. If you know people who are buying homes, regardless of builder, tell them about this forum.
Old 2007-12-19, 09:59 AM
Regular User

I agree with Mart... talk to previous customers of each builder (recent ones).

But for the Sohowest development is just starting correct? Have they even started building any homes? If not, its a little harder to talk to current customers

You can go talk to customers at other recent site for these developers. The only thing to keep in mind is there is no guarantee that the site supervisors / trades for that development will be the same for the Sohowest one.

But in the end, if you really want to live in Sohowest, and there is only one house plan you like from one builder, you are kinda stuck going with them (good or bad reviews).

My advise is keep yourself as informed as possible about building process. And visit your house under construction as often as you can. Get to know your site supervisor (the guy in charge of all the trades coming in to build your house).
Old 2007-12-19, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Or read all about it here...
Except for this:

DO NOT post problems with the construction of your house. These need to be addressed with your builder, Tarion and your lawyer. Messages will be deleted and a warning issued.

Negative feedback is not encouraged on here. That's why we don't see many Minto people
Old 2007-12-19, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Was my post deleted concerning Phoneix? That kinda sucks we can't post building issues, but I guess there would probably be a lawsuit or two about slander.

I haven't heard of any bad things concerning Valecraft. I was originally looking at them in Stonebridge and thought their home construction was good quality, but found the upgrade prices (HW, Ceramic and ensuite bath) to be quite overpriced.
Old 2007-12-19, 12:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeware View Post
Except for this:

DO NOT post problems with the construction of your house. These need to be addressed with your builder, Tarion and your lawyer. Messages will be deleted and a warning issued.

Negative feedback is not encouraged on here. That's why we don't see many Minto people
Sorry, where are you getting this from? There has been many post in the past from people talking about problems they have had in with their builder. Even construction problem. Most time its trying to understand if it is really a problem. If it looks like it, the advice is always to contact your builder to have it address.

Giving your opinion about a builder from personal experience is a good thing. As long as you don't go into a rant and just trash the builder trying to vent out your frustrations...
Old 2007-12-19, 12:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Sorry, where are you getting this from? There has been many post in the past from people talking about problems they have had in with their builder. Even construction problem. Most time its trying to understand if it is really a problem. If it looks like it, the advice is always to contact your builder to have it address.

Giving your opinion about a builder from personal experience is a good thing. As long as you don't go into a rant and just trash the builder trying to vent out your frustrations...
I think it is healthy to post concerns, criticisms and issues as long as they are not done in a slanderous or libelous way, and it is always useful to keep in mind that your builder could easily be reading the forum so it is prudent not to trash-talk them while still awaiting resolution on items.

The disclaimer is probably also a good idea to remind people that we are just peers, we are not construction trades, builders, or lawyers. I've seen lots of people post "Hey guys, what should I do, I'm having big problems with my builder, they ...." when the answer is clearly "You need to go talk to your lawyer!"