Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2014-11-13, 12:04 AM
Regular User

Default slide in electric stove

Hi there

When we were picking our counters and cabinets we thought we would be going with a freestanding stove and opted not to get the builder to do the "cut out" for the granite countertop. Now we are looking at how the slide ins look and they look cleaner. We don't currently have a back splash yet. Do I have to have a counter cut out and back splash for the store to install a slide in electric stove? Or can it be done as is?

Thanks!
Old 2014-11-13, 07:53 AM
Regular User

you do not need a cutout - you can buy a trim piece, that matches the stove, to fill the gap between back of stove and the wall

backsplash would normally be installed above the counter top level behind the stove regardless of stove option

an example here - these are available at lots of stores >> http://www.microtrim.com/slide-in-range-filler.htm

Last edited by good2know; 2014-11-13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 2014-11-13, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Also, if the store is charging extra for "installation", don't go for it It just needs to be plugged in and moved into place. You might have to adjust the legs for height but that's about it. I had one with no counters at all for a few weeks lol
Old 2014-11-15, 04:00 PM
Regular User

So by law do I have to have a backsplash prior to installing a slide in stove or can I get a stove like this and do the backsplash later on?
Old 2014-11-15, 05:28 PM
Regular User

We have always done the backsplash later, even with a gas range. No code/law requirement to have a backsplash.
Old 2014-11-18, 01:14 PM
Regular User

One option for a backsplash is a piece of stainless steel -- check out Costco for a cheap one, about $108 for 30" wide. I'm considering this option as my builder wants $1600 for a full tile backsplash.

http://www.costco.ca/Ancona-Stainles....10365572.html
Old 2017-07-04, 12:50 PM
Regular User

This will be my first time having hardwood in the kitchen and was curious if the spaces where the fridge and stove are to go will also have hardwood? I'm assuming yes. My concern is how do I slide my stove in place without scratching the floor? The fridge will have wheels and will likely lay cardboard on floor and roll fridge in place. The stove may be a bit tricky.